The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium Series 2003

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Nick Iuel-Brockdorff
Looking in my little crystal ball - here's what I predict happening for the next season:

- Pros will play ONLY Pros

-Nick
Nick, I have a lot of respect for your gazes into the crystal ball. On this one I hope you're wrong. I think it would blow major pole to pay what an amateur team have to pay to not get the chance to play the "the big boys". I think mixing classes to a reasonable degree is one of the major attractions of Millennium.

Am I wrong?

Steve

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Actually Steve

You learn much more by watching the Pros play, than actually playing them.

A lot of harsh words in here - and people may flame me for being inpolite and arrogant - but I honestly think it is best for our sport to go this way.

Nick
First of all, I don't think you really worry about some of the criticism you get for being direct and straight, and because you have well-thought-out opinions about a lot of things. If you do you shouldn't. I appreciate your posts everywhere I see them. (Sounds like I'm buttering you up, doesn't it?)

I don't think watching pros play can even begin to compare with actually playing them. I was with an amateur NPPL team many years ago (I was a second-string player) that enjoyed very much the opportunity to play 2 pro teams at every tournament. That's where we really got to apply our best plans and playing, in additon to the one or two other top-level amateurs in our assigned division. It so happened that we maxed every pro team we played in 5-player and ended up 5-player champs. Then we had to go pro for the next season.

Point here: playing one or two amateur teams in the prelims can be a challenge for the pros also. And can be a real learning experience for the amateurs. Even teams that don't do so well get a real kick out of beating (like we did in 10-player against the Ironmen) or shooting out a pro celebrity or two. And it is more than just public relations or entertainment provided to the "peons". What it is (Wadidiz) is a real wild card for the pros.

Steve

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
Yep

- Pro teams will be forced to judge if the want to play the Series
Maybe - but judging points will go down to 200 from 300

- 5 rather than 4 results will count towards the Series title
Pick your best 4 results from tha events you attend

- All prize money will go to the Pros and the Series title will again be worth some dough
Yep, no cash money for tha Ams

- Forced promotion of the best Amateurs
Word

All on tha table...

Recoil

EBlade *fap*
Apr 26, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Looking in my little crystal ball - here's what I predict happening for the next season:

This is it people - if you want it - you gotta step UP !

Nick
If this happens than I for one will be quite disappointed to be honest, I think thats what makes our sport as great as it is sometimes. The meer fact that I can go and play in a novice team against a pro team even once and ok get my ass handed to me is part of the the thing.

I played my first millenium event at campaign this year and it was fantastic, I had a great time in the games I did play and to play GZ was very cool.

Our sport really does break down barriers in this way, I spose its like, i dunno, Rushden and Diamonds playing Man United.. chances are R&D are gonna get whupped, but theres always that one time a hero might come long.. kinda stuff dreams are made of I guess. It brings out the best in the players that are on the field at the time.

Maybe its just me that thinks like this...

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by TJ 2
Yep

- Pro teams will be forced to judge if the want to play the Series
Maybe - but judging points will go down to 200 from 300

- 5 rather than 4 results will count towards the Series title
Pick your best 4 results from tha events you attend

- All prize money will go to the Pros and the Series title will again be worth some dough
Yep, no cash money for tha Ams

- Forced promotion of the best Amateurs
Word

All on tha table...
Didn't quite understand your post. Do you mean it is your opinion that pros should only play pros or do you know that it has been decided already?

If it has already been decided then it is no use talking about it. Except to bitch and moan, because I don't like it.

The other stuff sounds all good to me.

Steve

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit
I can see why we need to "cut off" the pro's from the rest of us, to further legitamize paintball as a sport, and in regular week in week out competition the Premier League (to use football as an example again) teams do not play the Division Three teams.

However, in the cup competitions, there is the chance to play the top teams.

And as has been said before - it's one of the great things that we currently have going for us.

It would drop the entry numbers for the novice division in the millennium series, who would pay all that money, and arrange time off work etc just to play teams you normally play against.

(and as for judging points - I think they should be an average of the teams points over the year - and can be used as one of the four "championship" deciding scores - but that's just my opinion of course.... ;) )

Campaign was my first millenium playing with the chicks, I was at mayhem this year and last year and campaing last year to watch and hang out. Sure I learned loads and it's cool to just go and be there but it's completely diffrent to play.

We didn't play well and got are arses handed to us but it was a real experince getting to play top level teams and yes I shot me a pro posssibly the only person I shot all weekend. Like I said we were playing well below par:(

It was great to get to play better teams than us, Liz and I both played in a scratch team at shoot the rainbow it was the same thing there self seeding. I really enjoyed it and love that formate I think it stops things getting stale if only for the first day if nothing else.

Usually we play of the bottom division and it's mostly the same teams don't get me wrong it's fun but it was a real challenge to try some named teams for a change.

I agree with you on the rest nick but will sadly miss this if it goes, I knowfor a lot of teams it was what made their campaign :)

sparklie

Piper

Administrator
Nov 25, 2001
Planet Piper away from you freaks!
Nick

How the hell do you do it? That crystal ball of yours is great. Can I have the winning Lotto numbers for next week, for the UK version, and I will split it with you :D

Let me know

Piper

Gurney

"The Real Apoc"
Oct 13, 2001
Royston, Herts.
From a business/sport point of view I feel that pros should only play pros, cos lets face it when they play the novice teams the hand them their asses, nobody really wants to see Dynasty beat Team Bumblef*ck, but people wanna see Avalanche play a tight one against Aftershock......it would bring a more spectator friendliness to the game.

But from being a player, one thing that would dissapoint me is the chance to mix it with the big boys and maybe give them a run for their money + you only improve by playing the best.

I think whatever decision is made, people are gonna be dissapointed :rolleyes:

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Nick, you jackass!

There. I just flamed you. Not because I disagree, but since no one else really flamed you, I thought you might get disheartened. After all, most of your posts are followed by bursts of fire. :D

Pro playing nothing but pro. I agree it's the way to go. I also agree that it's 'not nice' for the ams and novices, but it just makes too much sense to not do it.