Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Millennium SPL Info

Sherman

Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
So if we have 16 spl teams go though and 8 Cpl , i make it 24 matchs though out the day to get a winner ??
Exactly. With 16 SPL teams advancing, Sunday could be be played like this:

8-10 am SPL 1st elimination round
11 am-1 pm SPL 2nd elimination round, CPL 1st elimination round
2-3 pm semi finals
4-5 pm play off 3rd and 4th, finals

Unless MS has planned that SPL plays their last prelims sunday morning or div1 and lower play their finals on CPL and SPL fields this should work out just fine.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I don't see the need to have a winner for each event anymore. Why not spread the competion out over the season. Now that the divisions are locked there isn't the problem of teams not turning up to one round. They could play fewer matches each with a longer match time at each round. The teams would get the same amount of trigger time and points but crammed into a couple of longer matches rather than lots of short matches. They could play every other team once over the course of the season.

I know we have tried full x-ball before and seen it fail because it was too expensive. But that was because they tried to get a winner for each event which requires a ton of matches. With 16 teams that would be 15 matches each, divided by 5 events (is it 5?) gives 3 matches, or 1 per day. It would also be intersting from the specator/media point of view with a bit of variety and looking forward to big matches. E.g. PGI headlines of "blow by blow account of the long awaited Kelly's v. Shockwave match!" type stuff.

Obviously we won't see this in place this year its a bit last minute, but I think it would be good for next year. Still I won't hold my breath.

velocity

Ingvar Orten
Jul 9, 2001
Anywhere
www.osloenvy.com
I have been in contact with the Millennium about this issue, and they will look into if it is possible to do this, and will get back to me with an answer.

I will keep you posted.

Ingvar Orten
Oslo Envy

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
You need to calculate in terms of time here :)

I guess an average SPL game of 6 points, will run for 39 minutes:

6 points of 4 minutes
5 turnovers of 3 minutes

Add to that the time spent before the next two teams are ready, the refs needing a break, cleaning bunkers, etc. - and you can run 1 game per 49 minutes.

Say you start the first game at 8 AM, and play til 8 PM - you can effectively run 14 games in a day, including the lunch break.

There is NO way they can run 19,2 games per day on one field - I simply don't see it happening.

The average match would have to be 4-0 for that to work.

I think the MS has made a serious miscalculation here - and that they will in fact need to run the SPL on 2 fields to make it work.

Maybe - whoever did the calculations, missed that it was "first to 4 points" - instead of "best of 4 points" ;)

Nick

P.S. - When talking Sunday, you guys also have to remember it is not a full event day. - Usually the promoters aim at having the event completed for a prize ceremony at around 4 PM.... so starting at 8 AM, you really only get 8 hours of game time on Sunday - or a maximum of 10 games on 1 field.

And then you haven't factored in the need for greater turnover times on Sunday, because the same teams go at it time and time again - for instance after the last Semifinal - you need to allow the winner to rest up, before taking the field for the final game, against a team that has rested for at least 49 minutes.

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
I don't see the need to have a winner for each event anymore. Why not spread the competion out over the season.
Tried and failed in the NXL dude :)

People don't wanna watch games that are essentially pointless "here and now" - they want the exitement of the battle to win the event.

Nick

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
It seems Millennium would benefit from employing a paintball tournament scheduling expert to help work their schedule out for them. I wonder where they might find someone like that?

PSP schedules D2 XBall matches 36 minutes apart. Those are race-to-7, but do only have 2-minute turnarounds, and the teams stage at the field, and you only switch the teams staging at each field twice a day. There's no reason you couldn't schedule these SPL matches in 36 minute windows if you keep the number of in-and-out-of-pit transitions down.

With 32 teams, I don't see how you run it on one field in 2 days. PSP gets 15 matches in a day, but playing out 32 teams takes 48 matches. One way PSP gets that many matches done in a day is to minimize the number of times teams have to go in and out of pits.

What you should do is split your teams into two groups of 16 - first group plays 2 matches Friday morning, 2nd group plays 2 matches Friday afternoon, then everyone plays one match Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon you take the top 12 teams and play round-robin groups of three, winners advance to a final 4. Or you could take top-8 to an 8-team elimination bracket that can still play out on one field on Sunday.

Sherman

Dec 2, 2003
Visit site
You need to calculate in terms of time here :)

I guess an average SPL game of 6 points, will run for 39 minutes:

6 points of 4 minutes
5 turnovers of 3 minutes
Isn't it best of 7 or 10 minutes, which ever comes first? So maximum game time will be 10 minutes + timeouts (6 x 3 mins) + overtime timeout 3 min + overtime, which is 31 mins + overtime (how long OT is, i don't know).

I believe MS has calculated average of 30 mins /match for both SPL and CPL.

And then you haven't factored in the need for greater turnover times on Sunday, because the same teams go at it time and time again - for instance after the last Semifinal - you need to allow the winner to rest up, before taking the field for the final game, against a team that has rested for at least 49 minutes.
If you read my post, there was a full one hour break between each elimination round on Sunday. I still believe it's manageable, but everything must be well planned and work smoothly.

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Oh - didn't read the 10 minutes part - my bad :)

Is that 10 minutes game time or does the clock run throughout? - I would assume it's gametime?

That ofcourse changes it a good deal:

10 minutes game time
12 minutes turnover time
Total 22 minutes - so 1 game per 30 minutes COULD work - if they hustle ;)

22 games per day on 1 field then - with 1 hour lunch break.

14 games on sunday, if the 1 hour lunch break is maintained.

Nick