Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Mission Paintball on TV

Giles

Jul 17, 2001
Buckingham Palace
Visit site
Anyone got any reason or Idea why there are only UK AM/novice teams on the recent paintball programme called Mission paintball and why they turned snapshoot and speedball into something bordering on the sublime side of comedy
No room for any PRO teams or are we seen as not really the Ideal type of Television material, not sure of which teams are still to follow
Not bothered to much, and really just like the sport getting some airtime at long last, with a little more thought we could have helped the producer put something a little more about sport and less about capturing things and people
More on the arena concept away from the war scenario

:confused: :mad: :eek: :( :eek: :eek: :eek:

NIALL

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Anyone got any reason
or Idea why there are only
UK AM/novice teams on the
recent paintball programme
called Mission paintball.

Banzai, Tigers and Hillbillies took part. All UK PRO

and why they turned
snapshoot and speedball
into something bordering

on the sublime side of comedy

Agreed the snapshooter was bad, but that was part of their input. and accounted for probably 70% of their budget. It left little to make the rest of the show. They just wanted help making a TV show on a budget of zilch.

No room for any PRO
teams or are we seen
as not really the Ideal
type of Television material,

Well you are a bit of a prima donna aren't you Giles!! Would you have entered into making a show knowing that you might be made to look a bit of a twat.. The teams who played pretty much all entered into the spirit of it, and are you you telling me you would seriously enter into doing what they wanted not what you wanted.? My experience tells me otherwise. Still if Shockwave want to be involved in a 2nd series
I'll put your name forward.

not sure of which teams
are still to follow
Not bothered to much,
and really just like the
sport getting some
airtime at long last,
with a little more thought
we could have helped
the producer put something
a little more about sport and
less about capturing things.....

I take this personally . I spent frigging weeks trying to help Bravo make a show..The 1st step on the media treadmill for paintball. They are not trying to make a show for paintballers, There initial brief was to call the show Combat Paintball and have it run as a war correspondence type. I think we succeeded to move it on from that. The show is aimed at the public. Joe public needs to be able to relate to it. Sorry if it fell short of your expectations that was out of my control. However I will continue to work with every avenue of the media to try and help the develpment of the sport. what will you do??

More on the arena
concept away from
the war scenario.....

If you had followed previous threads you would probably be aware that the show ended up in Crystal Palace, where Banzai played the Rushers on Sup Air fields in the final. Just a matter of progression. They also interviewed some "faces".

I know the show had its failings. The commentary is poor & their graphics are stuck in 80's Paintball imagery, but on the whole its the best representation we have had so far. The teams willingly gave up their time, not for self gratification but for promotion of the sport.

Yours (Still miffed)

Niall

P'D Off

P'd Off with everything!
Sep 6, 2001
In my bedroom
Visit site
Dear Giles

"No room for any PRO teams or are we seen as not really the ideal type of television material "

Apart from "Sir Nobby" Squires telling you that some PRO teams were entered, no, basically people with your sort of opinion are not the type of people that the majority of paintabllers wish to be associated with. (from the information that I have)

Were you not invited to play? Maybe that is because you do not have the right attitude, or is it true that money talks!!!! (but not in this case !!!)!!!

The show is obviously aimed at the first time player who does associate the sport with "wargames". Let them enjoy it, and you stick to your copies of the Joy Masters etc.

Whilst you may be a good player, with an attitude like that you will never take our sport further if all you think about is blow up barricades in front of a packed stand. ( How many rec-baller sites in the UK have a packed stand !!!! ?)

"Sir Nobby" has promoted our sport (along with "Sir" Steve Bull) more than you ever will, and deserve all the credit he (they) can get. If you want to knock it, put your (copious amounts of) money where your (big fat) mouth is.

Let Joe Public enjoy watching people play "wargames", and leave the rest of us alone.

To set the record straight, I do enjoy the big tournaments, however I do enjoy seeing first time players coming back to our site to play again and again. (As do most site operators in the UK)

Only today, I asked the organiser of a group of 20 people why they came to play paintball, there answer was "because they saw paintball on "Mission Paintball" and it looked like a laugh.".

Who is to say that one (or more) of that group will be our paintball hero(es) next year.;

How many people have you influenced ???

Mr (comments like Giles's make me) P'D Off

P S I would just like to point out that my comments are not those of my employer. They would be much worse.

P'D Offs opinions are those of a guy that hopefully stands up for a lot of paintballers in the UK. If you know different, E mail him here P-D-Off@btopenworld.com

Ouch!

Giles,

I think you might have touched a nerve there mate! Although I do totally agree with Nialls points, I was involved in the Bravo filming and although you might not fully agree with the concept of the show you have to admit that any publicity for paintball is good publicity.

Laters

:) :( :)

Scutty

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
Indeed

Giles obviously didn't get the inside track on this.

It is not a show for paintballers - it is for potential paintballers.

Having taken part too some of what we had to do was a little embarassing but we put it aside and helped to make what is hopefully a good program for the recreational side of paintball.

This of course can only help the tournament side - more money into paintball, more players too.

Go and watch the next one Giles with this in mind - we had a laugh - hopefully those that watch will too.

Mark

Ps good to here one site operator at least has had some positive feedback from the public and got some business!!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Dear P'D Off

You may hope that your opinions are held by the majority of UK paintballers and you, their self-proclaimed representative but I certainly do not agree with what you say !!!
Just 'my' opinion you understand !
Robbo

Originally posted by P'D Off
[ P'D Offs opinions are those of a guy that hopefully stands up for a lot of paintballers in the UK. If you know different, E mail him here P-D-Off@btopenworld.com [/B]

Mark Toye-Nexus

Rushers
Jul 18, 2001
Sarf London
It must be catching??

I agree with alot of what Nick says too - and he knows that doesn't happen too often.

BUT

The sites are involved in providing RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES which is why in my post above re MP I purposely did not use the word 'sport'.

The MP programme should appeal to people who do not know anything about paintball - sport or recreation. Hopefully they will see the programme and give it a go.

From then, as Robbo has pointed out before in another thread (Robbo vs Tyger I believe), some will get the bug and want to own their own gear and play more. They may then join a team and play tourneys - that is the way promoting the recreational side of paintball helps us.

As for sites going over to purely tournament type fields - this may work in America but I find it hard to believe that it would work in the much more constricted business over here. My local site (where I work occasionally too) has experimented with tournament style feilds and has even built a Hyperball feild.

Whilst this is popular with some players, 90% of the customers want 'scenarios', forts, bunkers, bridges etc still. Many will be disappointed if they do't get to do the fort!!

The site is forward thinking and has even provided a Sup'air feild for a customer day. The players were explained the significance of the style of paintball ie tournaments. many of the players were apprehensive and many did not enjoy the experience. Too many were shot out too quickly and the ranges involved were alot shorter than the other feilds so some complained that it hurt more.

Now some players loved it - that can't be denied but the overall feeling was that the average recreational player was simply not interested in that sort of ball - bring on the fort, attack and defend etc they said!!

So whilst I agree with you Nick - I still think that much of the general public gets involved by sites capturing their imagination - camo, guns, smoke grenades etc. This is what they buy into first - and like so many of us - this is how we get the taste for competition.

Regards

Mark

Giles

Jul 17, 2001
Buckingham Palace
Visit site
mision paintball

Just had a read through them all

Know Ive never put anything in the sport along with the rest of the pros, novice or ams that play tornament ball only
Oh bugger where did I start playing paintball it was (oh at a tournament called the world cup in florida) I dont think so
i was the same as everyone else and played many years at other sites paying top whack
I know its because pros get to much sponsorship (and my answer play as long as I have put as much time effort and money into the sport then spout)
I offered our paintball sponsor free training for any novice or am team that wants it free of charge
get a life,Iknow my chosen job is not site owner making money
I spend money on the sport and do take my customers and members of my staff to chosen sites at my companys expense
but that doent help anyone does it let me see what do you have to do (I dont care, im in it for myself and bugger the rest of you)

I expressed an opinion on one show that I saw on TV, that now I understand what Nialll has told me had no other choice
I love the fact that paintball was on tv, I asked the question if there were any pros on it no offence Niall Banzai-yes, Hillbillies and Tigers your bordering there, no offence meant to those teams but theres a while to go

I would have considered doing the show Nialll if I would have known about it-so please put our name forward for the next series

the comment about plastic inflatables, I really like the fact that the sport has come away from the war aspect to the paintball will force the sport forward and not to combat male only stag days and toward a more serious sport in the front line for more people in our society including, wheel chairs etc etc