Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Model 98 or Custom?

stickboy

Jun 28, 2002
Northampton
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I've been offered a Tippmann Model 98 with 20oz bottle and hopper for £150.

My other choice is to go with a 98 Custom with no extras for £160.

I'll just be using the gun for rec-ball really, but I like the Custom for the drop-in kits if I choose to upgrade.

Which should I go for? I'm a total n00b, so I don't want too big an initial outlay, but I like to be competitive.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

davidotrot

Mar 20, 2002
southern california
Visit site
I would recommend the custom. I know what ciaran.mooney said, but being a 98 custom owner I know that there are some slight differences between the two (besides taking drop-in kits). The custom is a bit more gas efficent, due to a different design that was used for the valve assembly.

Meyer

I'd recommend the 98 w/ the 20 oz. I shot a regular old 98 on co2 for my first two years, a 20 oz tank will get you through the day, and the upgrade issue is questionable. Granted the custom upgrades are easier to install, but there aren't that many for just the custom that a newbie will need. An expansion chamber is easily installed on both, and the double trigger is easily installed with a hacksaw and a sander. The rt and electro kits wont fit, but if you start thinking that you need them, then you'll probably want to upgrade to a better frame anyway. Taking the 98 will save you some cash, which is always nice for a new player as you may decide in a few months that you dont really want to commit the time and money to take your game to the next level.

Also, I hear from some who shoot the custom that the safety is flawed, that it is still posible to discharge the marker even when safed, I dont know if this is true though.

stickboy

Jun 28, 2002
Northampton
Visit site
Made my purchase!

In the end I went for the Model 98, for the exact reasons that Meyer laid out - spooky!

I see this gun as a small outlay, and if I really get stuck into paintballing, I'll lay out for a sexier gun.

Now, I just need to sort out goggles - anyone know where I can get some nForcers?

Meyer

Good choice. I always like old reliable, I hope you will too.
If you want to upgrade the barrel, nothing shoots more reliably on the 98 than a 14" nyte stikk. Maybe go a little smaller to save space, but that barrell will shoot anything and only costs about $45 us. Also, definitely get an expansion chamber, it makes co2 more consistant and works better as a foregrip that that stubby little nub that comes with the 98.

Good luck.

stickboy

Jun 28, 2002
Northampton
Visit site
Meyer, are you looking over my shoulder or something!!?! Expansion chamber is going to be my first upgrade, and was going to ask what barrel to go for. Freaky!!

As an aside, I'm also looking for a decent drop-forward as the Tippy feels too back-heavy, so I'd welcome any advice on that.

Meyer

Weird.
Sorry, can't help you on the drop foreward, never put one on mine. I always liked that back heavy feel, it made me hold the marker firmly into my shoulder with my front hand, which allowed my back hand to work the trigger faster.