Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New Player/ New Marker

rickcardot

Sep 19, 2002
Rochester, NY
Visit site
I am new to paintball. I have been reading a lot of discussion threads and forums about different markers. At this point I'm planning on either getting a Tippmann Model 98 Custom or a Kingman Spyder E-99. Which one is better and what are the "essential" upgrades? Also what are the upgrades that offer the biggest bang for the buck?

I would really appreciate some help and opinions......

Kingman Spyder E-99
or
Tippmann Custom 98

Thanks for the help.

:)

le-pig

the brotherhood
May 16, 2002
isle of man
Visit site
depends on what you want,tippys are ugly and slowish but bulletproof,the e-99 is more puurrdy and quicker
you will need a decent electro loader & barell for both
the flatline is getting a lot of praise for the tippy
for the spyder, a dye exell14" or the "ultimate" freak system if you can aford it,although they do ,do a freak junior that is cheaper
try and use both markers an see what u prefer

Dec 23, 2001
East of E-Numberia
Visit site
First of all welcome timid paintballer.

if youve read alot ot threads by now, youll know that the most comon advise takes the form of

TRY AS MANY AS POSSIBLE, AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK

which is the best advice i could give you.
it wasnt long ago that all these guns were gibberish to me, and i didnt know an auto cocker from an auto mag. (if you dont know yet, there is a HUGE differance between them)
Ive only got to know the differance by playing with other peoples markers, and asking loadsa questions.
but you are only going to be able to decide which is a better marker for you by trying any and all you can get your mitts on.

hope that helps

Neddyboy

where's my precious
Jun 17, 2002
Surrey, UK
www.franceforyou.co.uk
Welcome

I use a tippy 98 custom and I think its a good marker, with cheap upgrades and will live through a nuclear fallout. I have the flatline barrel which is really good I've had no problems with it. Its accurate, looks a bit ugly, but hey, what have looks got to do with anything when your shooting.

However, this is only my opinion. I suggest you try both out before you buy and then you will know which one you like.

ashley

Campaign 2k4
Sep 5, 2002
london
Visit site
mate i started like you once didnt have a clue i now play for campaign power and i would say the best gun to get would be a mag because the tippman breaks all the time and the spyder is just pony but with the mag it is so easy to strip down and change the parts if they need changing the whole body comes out in one lump. if your still not sure go to markers on this website and look and read about the different types. Ash

Neddyboy

where's my precious
Jun 17, 2002
Surrey, UK
www.franceforyou.co.uk
I dont know where you base your facts on about the tippy breaks all the time, because that is so untrue, the tippy would live through a nuclear bomb blast and it dont break balls either mine has never has. Its like anything you buy, if you treat with respect and look after it, then you wont have a problem.

What you also got to remember is rickcardot is a newbie and wants to get into paintball. A tippy, spyder or inferno is a good starter gun, all are solid, cheap, and easy upgradeable.

Saying getting a mag which costs a lot of money and having no experience of using one is just foolish. Its like passing your test in standard a car and then getting a ferrari.

If you want some good advice rickcardot get a marker as I mentioned but before you do please TRY before you BUY as all markers are different whether its weight, size or performance etc

Dec 23, 2001
East of E-Numberia
Visit site
neddy he said mag not cocker.

a mag IS a simple enough marker (though no where near as simple as a spyder, or inferno)
they are small and lightweight. However, they have gone up in value greatly since the release of the LVL 10 bolt. and as such may be hard to get at a cheap price.

the spyder vs. Tippmann battle is raging more and more on this board.
i have already written an essay regarding both markers on another <a href="http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10101&perpage=15&pagenumber=2">thread</a> (its there somewhere). but the E-99 is quite a high grade spyder, and should be a sound investment.
have you looked at second hand markers? there may be something that takes your fancy there for less money.

But definatly try b4 u buy.

hope that helps

What do you want it for?

And don't say to play paintball... I have spotted that. Tourney? In which case a Spyder or a similar blow-back is the minimum grade kit you'd want, don't think the Tipman would be great. If its for rec-ball then either would be fine, there are loads of people using tipmans as far as I can tell.

Try before you buy, its the best advice there is

Richard