Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

New To Paintball, Could Use Some Advice

Vyper

May 27, 2002
Edinburgh UK
www.vyper.0catch.com
ive played paintball a once and im thinking of taking it further. It was a fundraiser for one of the Scottish paintball teams, the Keltic Warriors. we played mostly rec paintball but we also had some tourney matchs to. my problem is i really dont have a clue about what equipment to get, i see all the different stuff out there like air systems, barrels markers and so on andim just lost as to what i need.

thanks in advance,

Vyper

Tom Tom

Damn you ALL
Jul 27, 2001
Waterlooville
www.thinkingfortuesday.com
Depends on your budget and position, but an Impulse or a vision Impulse are good for electro's (not as much as and angel)

or a cocker for accuracy.

Air is more efficient and less corrosive than CO2 but CO2 more avaliable.

chunk.Clan

Clan, back for 09.
May 12, 2002
Lanark.
Hi.

Tom Toms quite correct. Go and try out a few different markers and see what you like using and can afford to buy. If you go to www.kelticwarriors.co.uk and enter the forums you will see that we have a range of secound hand equipment to get you started. Ranging from tournament level inferno`s to a 2000 Angel.
Hope this helps,
Chunk.

Orange

May 21, 2002
Visit site
If you buy anything secondhand, it's always best to try it out first, shoot some paint through it, never pay up front and get it sent in the mail!

Silverjay UK

Boss Hog
Feb 18, 2002
York, UK or Switzerland
Disagree

Have to disagree with you there Orange. I sell a lot of PB stuff via eBay (not for business, just pleasure) and will always give them their money back if they feel they have not got what they expected. I agree that to try first to get your marker preferences (trigger etc) right but knowing that, if someone does stuff by mail order and they have a good reputation (look for feedback ratings), it can often save you a fair amount of dosh. I buy this way myself and haven't had a problem in over 10 years.

BTW What happened to your Dutch Masters post, I was reading it and it disappeared, was it moderated out?

MidgetFista

Nov 12, 2001
Cheshire, UK
homepages.manx.net
Originally posted by Orange
If you buy anything secondhand, it's always best to try it out first, shoot some paint through it, never pay up front and get it sent in the mail!
All my markers have been 2nd hand, and i've paid up front for them all, and i've never had a problem. Maybe your lack of trust is standing in the way of you getting a bargin :D

-Midge

420dankdawg

Team Valkyr
Apr 26, 2002
Arizona, USA
I have a tippmann 98 custom, and when tricked out it can be an excellent marker for beginners especially. the price is not too high and it has a good stock barrel, but a better barrel would be in order for better play. another upgrade could be an expansion chamber. whatever you do, get something that suits you. remember these things, A BAD PLAYER MAKES A BAD MARKER (if the player sucks he may say the marker sucks) TRY BEFORE YOU BUY (try a marker before you buy one. it may not be what you expected)

Jones the Paint Magnet

All the gear - no idea
Dec 19, 2001
Croydon/East Grinstead
Visit site
As you want to play both rec and tourney, you have a lot of options open. If you want to gear yourself more towards tourney play then I'd recommend somehting that has a good upgrade path, the Cocker being a prime example. You'll probably want to tweak and tune whatever you end up getting.

That said - all the guns mentioned here are solid contenders for what you want to play - tag along to a tourney and have a look at the kit on show and how it performs. Ask people about their set-up too: I've never met a paintballer reluctant to chat about their marker and some might let you fire a few with it as well.

Also, tourney players tend to have an aladdin's cave of little-used and well cared for second hand stuff going cheap. Although some older guns, such as the classic automags may not be top of the tourney scene anymore - they make a pretty reliable rec gun.