Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Newbie, Marker maintenance help wanted

Aug 30, 2001
Visit site
What do i do if a ball busts in the barrel or some such thing? How do i clean it well, etc (both quickly and taking a little extra time)
Also, do you reccomend getting some sort of gunbag or something?
BTW, the gun im prolly gonna get is a Spyder Shutter, because its good, i can hold off for a while, and once i get the money i can go for a better gun
What is CO2, compressed air, and nitrogen? over here, most people use CO2, what are the others?
Also, what is the beaver tail for?
BTW, why are autocockers so popular? Dont they fire slower than other guns or something, im not dissing them, just wondering what sets them appart.

The edits are added questions

Help

Q: What do I do if a ball busts in the barrel or some such thing?

A: you clean that part of the gun, if it's in game you try to clean as best you can. Most people here know how many shots it takes to clean their barrel. When you just don't have the time for a squeegee

Q: How do I clean it well, etc (both quickly and taking a little extra time)?

A: with a squeegee, there are a number of different one Straight shot are one of the better ones in that you can use it on most guns and don't have to take of f the barrel.
If you have more time, warm running water and a fluffy squeegee will do wonders. If your barrel is holes in it (air rifled) get those clean will greatly improve the accuracy of you gun.

Q: Also, do you recommend getting some sort of gunbag or something?

A: personal preference, then again that might be why my guns have some nicks and scratches. It will protect your gun but in my experience playing with it on the field is where it gets the most abuse.

Q: What is CO2, compressed air, and nitrogen?

A: a gas or liquid used to propel your paintballs. CO2 starts as a liquid so there can be minor issues in consistency where CA and N2 are already in a gas form. Consistency is more and issues in a tournament player’s life then a rec ballers. But with the right setup CO2 can be on a par with N2 or CA.

Q: what is the beaver tail for?

A: a part that goes on the back of the cocker to prevent cheating (kinda) and also protect yourself from getting hit by the moving parts at that back of an autococker.

Q: why are autocockers so popular?

A: well in my opinion I love my cocker(s) because you can really make them look very special and unique. They perform on par with any gun on the market. There is also a Zen appeal to being able to time and autococker and understand how the gun works.

Q: Don’t they fire slower than other guns or something, im not dissing them, just wondering what sets them appart.

A: no, some paintball circuits limit the max rate of fire on electronic guns, cockers don't have that issue. With recent advancements in Autococker parts these guns have only gotten faster. Roller sears, and pivoting triggers have brought the ball/sec of cockers a lot. The design also help in that with a closed bolt gun as they are the bolt moving back after the shot helps pull the next ball into the chamber. This can help out your loader.

I could go on about how much I love autocockers but I think this post is long enough

-TC

b0ned0me

Born to be Bald!!
Aug 9, 2001
Death Mountain
Visit site
I'll try...

I'm no expert at this sort of thing myself, but here goes:
For a ball break, clean with a squegee on the field - a stick/button type is quickest but a pull-through gives a better clean. When you're back in the safe zone take the barrel off, give it a good scrub and use a barrel polisher (looks like a feather duster) to get it nice and clean. Wipe out the breech area, stripping the marker if necessary, and make sure every last trace of paint/shell is gone from the insides, and you should be ready to rock again.

I would definitely recommend some sort of protection for your marker, but don't go OTT. Wrapping it in an old towel should be OK providing you don't bash your holdall about too much. If you can get a cheap bag which is rigid with lots of pockets to hold bits, then why not?

Nitrogen/Air are basically the same thing - people like it because it's more consistent than CO2 and does not have all the problems of freezing, drawing liquid, hotshots etc. Having said that the equipment is more expensive, needs testing every couple of years and getting air fills can be a problem in some places (like yours, by the sound of it).

The beaver tail is a safety device intended to keep you from putting your face within smacking distance of the bit that pops in and out at the back of some markers (like cockers)

People like cockers because they work well, you can spend forever upgrading bits, and they look cool with all the little bits gong back and forth. And if you ever find someone pointing a tricked-out one like an Eclipse or EvoX at you and seriously working the trigger, you'll receive more paint than you know what to do with.

ps. Cockers also contain magic elves that make the paint go further and more accurately....

elves

He’s a new player you can't tell him about the magic elves yet....
You’re breaking all the rules now....

For the record Autocockers do not have elves and if they did in no way would these elves use their magic power to make a ball go further (if all factors are the same)

-TC

Aug 30, 2001
Visit site
thanks, guys

Thanks for the help, and you said that shooting can be a temp clean? yeah, my friend said that too, and i got a straight shot sqeegue, and the warm water sounds good and easy to do, etc
thanks guys