Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NXL (National X-Ball League)

Tony Harrison

What is your beef with the Mac?
Mar 13, 2007
CPPS run their Race games as 2 playing at the same time, so CPPS Race teams are used to it.

On a seperate note, oes this mean a move to limited paint for everyone?

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
How do people think this mercy rule will play out? It sort of makes sense. In the same way that race-to also made sense. I'm wondering if it's going to provide as much of a "cap" on what a team can do or if it can still provide more freedom, like the kind that people expect from "traditional" X-ball halves.

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
It will mean that when a team is 7/5/4 points up on their opposition the game will get called! Kind of like a halfway house between trus x-ball halves and Race2. Therefore you won't see a team getting beaten down every point for a full game time.
Thanks Pete but I understand the principle ;) I meant more that I wonder how teams will view it and if it'll be free of the supposed problems that having a cap (as seen in race-to) has or if this mercy rule will just be a reversed race-to cap and teams will simply play not to lose after getting up a few points... Or something like that. Basically, I just want someone to go forward in time and tell me what the opinion will be of the format, now!

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Back in the old NXL/EXL days, it wasn't unheard of for a mismatched pairing for the loosing team to get a double figure drubbing. Historically, it has always been difficult to turn around a 3+ point gap in the Pro bracket, and what usually happens is that when teams get to the 6 points down position, rather than digging in and holding the aggressors off they try something crazy just to get a point back on the board, it usually ends in a car crash!

I can't see much changing!

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks Pete but I understand the principle ;) I meant more that I wonder how teams will view it and if it'll be free of the supposed problems that having a cap (as seen in race-to) has or if this mercy rule will just be a reversed race-to cap and teams will simply play not to lose after getting up a few points... Or something like that. Basically, I just want someone to go forward in time and tell me what the opinion will be of the format, now!
I think its a great idea. The whole reason the race to format was introduced was because game results were already decided long before the clock ran out when teams were getting smashed in to the ground 10-0. The only problem some people have with race to is when it is maybe 4-0 and a team claws it all the way back to 4-4 but the original team that was winning takes just one more point and wins the whole thing when the other team may have been playing better overall to bring it back. So now its going to work a lot like tennis so that whoever wins is the clear winner, either by playing the clock or outplaying the other team to get a significant lead.
long story short i predict teams will be less bitter about losing because they will now have had every opportunity to beat their opponents.

frobinson

#14 Din Eidyn
Oct 25, 2011
Edinburgh
Agreed @Liam92. All I mean is that you sometimes hear complaints about how the race-to cap can force teams to play out points because they can't afford to throw the towel in because of the point difference. I'm just wondering if this is going to have the same effect but now they don't want that point spread which forces them to lose! I still think this will be better and I'm looking forward to watching it play out. But as you point out, it could kill the potential for spectacular comebacks and it can probably be argued that in a ranked league, there really shouldn't be any total blowouts so often as to require a mercy rule... Regardless, I'm excited.