Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Oliver Lang to Ironmen

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Although, come to think of it, how do we KNOW Ollie is the best?

That's the interesting thing about paintball - the only reason we think Ollie is the best is that perception is that he's the best. In other sports you can point to stats, but paintball doesn't have stats.

Bit of a catch-22 - Ollie is worth more for marketing because he's the best, but the only reason we know he's the best is good marketing. (The same could be said, an more easily demonstrated, for Lasoya - there are plenty of players who are better than lasoya, even if the marketing info doesn't say it.)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Chicago
Although, come to think of it, how do we KNOW Ollie is the best?
In exactly the same way we know Michael Jordan was the best.....go watch him !!!!
It says it all.

Genius and artistry isn't measured with a stop watch and a test tube, empiricism tells only half the story.
The kid stands head and shoulders above and I will say this much, if and when I hear people soemtimes disputing Ollie's position at the top, all that tells me is, the guy doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't know Paintball much like if you, or anybody else told me that Rodman or Shaq was better than Jordan.

weedave

Jan 16, 2002
Belfast
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
Yeah, I always thought of tha most illustrious team in the history of Paintball as a small pond too..
Compared to dynasty? Absolutely.

Something similar went on in the world of football just around a month ago. Henry was linked with a move to Barcelona to play along side some of the greatest players in the world e.g. Eto'o and Ronaldinho.

Arsenal and Barcelona and two of the biggest clubs in the world, Barcelona being the bigger of the two.

Why choose to play for a club who he is worshipped at and is their star player when he can go to a bigger club where he will have better chance of winning the champions league but will have to play in the shadow of Ronaldinho. He would be a big fish in a bigger pond where as with arsenal, hes a big fish in a smaller pond.

Now compare this to the world of paintball. Hes playing for the best team in the world along side the best players in the world and he moves to a big club but not as big. Where is he going to stand out more? If he wins a tournament with LA or with Dynasty?
What team would appreciate him more?

Dave

Young_Old_Bloke

www.bannedclothing.co.uk
May 17, 2005
Leeds
i6.tinypic.com
Good on him, it gives us all hope that one day if we care about something enough, and put as much heart into it as he has paintball, you'll get everything back and then some. You reep what you sow. I think its a big thank you from the industry and its well deserved, love him or hate him the mans a legend. I also think Dynasty will be out to proove a point now, that they don't need Ollie to be the best team around. I reckon they'll be fine. Oh and bagsy Ollies shocker now he's shootin DMs!

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
It seems less like it has to do with ego indulgence than with thinking about long term financial well being. It reads like the trail blazing and paradigm shifting stuff is just an afterthought.

For Dye, or more specifically the Ironmen, the spot light has shifted their way. For Oliver, he can think about having a family or getting a mortgage or at least planning for the next several years.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
So here's a question...

Ollie mentions that he's blazing a trail as the first guy paid to play paintball as a professional.

But he also says he's going to be "working" for Dye.

If he's working for Dye, isn't he really just an employee with a bonus?

The first pro paintball player will be the guy who lives off of playing and DOESN'T have to work for the sponsor.

john251282

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
Bristol
www.google.co.uk
So here's a question...

Originally posted by Chicago
Ollie mentions that he's blazing a trail as the first guy paid to play paintball as a professional.

But he also says he's going to be "working" for Dye.

If he's working for Dye, isn't he really just an employee with a bonus?

The first pro paintball player will be the guy who lives off of playing and DOESN'T have to work for the sponsor.
Not sure that really mates sense when you compare it to say football top pro players who wear for example adidas or nike still work with there sponsors to improve products etc.

Re: So here's a question...

Originally posted by john251282
Not sure that really mates sense when you compare it to say football top pro players who wear for example adidas or nike still work with there sponsors to improve products etc.
No, they are paid to play by their club, the sponsor deals are separate jobs with separate companies and separate salaries - Chi Town is right.