Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Oooooh!! Dynasty FA Scandal!!

gotp8nt

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
The drug analogy will work. We can even use prostitution as an example. Compare the crime rate in countries where it is illegal to those that have made it legal. There is a major difference. What I'm saying is instead focusing all of ones energy into trying to prevent something that is increasingly becoming more and more difficult to regulate, why not concentrate more in doing things that will discourage it, such as paint limits. I understand your counterpoint. Safety is paramount and we the players, the manufactors, and the governing bodies should never forget that.

I do agree with you (as far as placing tight controls on equipment), however, just to set the record straight, I don't have a problem FA or turbo type configurations. Ramping velocities, yes. I don't see a need for it. But what is the difference in fanning a trigger enabling the marker to shoot 17-20 bps and holding a trigger to do the same? Regardless of the "skill factor" in pulling a trigger, 18 bps is still 18bps. It still feels the same.

So, I'll compromise. Tighter controls on euipment (for everyone, including top teams the world over) to prevent velocity issues, etc. Allow, FA or turbo type boards back into the markers. Plus, mandate a specified quantity of paint that is allowed onto the field.

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Again...allowing full auto at the top level would make that level of competion illegal in many places (probably Italy?)

The difference between full auto 18bps and having to fan the trigger is that the faning requires a direct input and thought to achieve that ROF. A dangerous amount of paint can leave the gun without intended input in FA. For example....if mugger X attacks player Y on a run through... player Y sees X in the corner of his eye just before he is hit and spins to defend, he pulls the triger. With that one insticntive grip of the trigger for a second he has shot the mugger 35times (maybe more if no cap is put on rates) in the throat. I think it would be a fair assumption that the mugger X would be seriously injured. Reactions like that are instinctive some times, and the damage inflicted would not have been intentional. If the same ocured in a decent semi only situation then it is unlikey that the mugee would have had the capacity to shoot any more than 5 shots in that amount of time.

Cheating teams desire ramping velocities because it is very advantageous when your sweetspotting shots are getting there in half the time they should. And if you disagree with ramping and want that controled, then it is not a quantum leap to control FA at the same time.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by gotp8nt
Most people know that a high FPS does not make for longer distances. Anyway, what I'm saying is.............So TheBroz, I have given this some thought.
Jeeeeez:rolleyes:

Gotp8nt....Gotnobrains....Gotnoidea.....

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Sorry for being slow to respond have been away snowboarding. :D

Originally posted by FMS
In F1 they don't limit horsepower, because they don't cap what they can't control. It's as simple as that. Instead they cap cubic inches, width of wheels, minimum weight, gas consumption, number and size of wings, etc. All of which is easily accessible and controllable from the outside. No need to dig deep into the software of any microchips.
I like the premise a lot.

Originally posted by FMS
So for a start, why don't we put a limit on the maximum inner diameter of the hose? In combination with another rule stating the maximum pressure one is allowed as input pressure for the gun, this effectively limits the air consumption and thus the ROF. Of course this rule would blatantly ignore the specific problems with gas hogs and/or double staged balanced regs like the Armageddon. But it would be a rule which is simple, concise and easily checked.

Another option would be the basic design of the trigger, but I will have to think that over again.

Some more ideas: minimum distance between grip and front reg, as to force the player into an uncomfortable position (not a very good one, I know), maximum battery power allowed in a loader (I like this one)
But as Pete points out, a lot of this won't really have an effect other than to alienate certain manufacturers.

Hose diameter won't do much, all common rated hoses are already larger than many internal regulator orifices.

Making the gun uncomfortable for one player may make it better for another, so not sure about any value there.

Trigger is a good idea and has been discussed before.

I think we would have to end up with a completely flat single trigger though. Do you think every one (anyone?) would go for that? There is definitely a limit to how fast anyone can shoot with such a trigger and would make most cheater software incredibly obvious.

What other easily and obvious items can we measure?

1)Velocity obviously.

2) trigger pull. I think a simple test to check a trigger isn't too easily activated would be simple and a sensible test to enhance safety in the neutral zone. It would also make bounce less likely on some/many guns.

3) trigger design? Alienate a lot of products (manufacturers could make tourny legal trigger blades) and change how a lot of people shoot their guns. Initially it would also be a huge step back in rof. One people may not be willing or want to take.

Originally posted by gyroscope
I agree in principle with the notion of making rules governing what you can actually monitor and control.
Me too 100%

Originally posted by gyroscope
If safety is the concern, what is needed is a better barrel blocking device (or other solution).
Agreed. Again. :D

gotp8nt

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
I guess, in the long run, we will have to wait and see how the sports prgresses. Because how it does progress is how the majority will want it.

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
WOOO HARRY WINS!!! GO ME!!

just kiddin' ....:p

EDIT: The 'majority' idealy should be fairly irelavent. The organisers need to think of what is safe, practical and would be good for the sports progression into the mainstream. Although i do feel that single triger solutions like Simon suggests would upset a lot of players, it might just be necesary. Sod them if they don't want to ball just beacuse they are not allowed to walk the trigger like a flid.