Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PA League questions.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Now that you've had the managers meeting, are any more details available. I'm not planning to play the series, but i will be following it with interest.

- Is it going to be centre-flag or 2-flag?

- Are there going to be stands for spectators? (+ Any other info about the venue.)

- Is there any info on which sky sports channel it might be on?

- How are the divisions/promotion going to work?

Cheers.

I cant answer questions 1 or 3 but,

the concept for the P.A. is specifically aimed at getting spectators in and so I am sure there will be some facilities, Hatts has already said that not all of what they want to do will be there straight away and that the site will be developed as time goes by.

The divisions will be set by the avereage experience of the players in the team weighted from 1 for rec ball to the 100's for international experience. As relative newbies in the "Wildcats" we have an average of 10.7 whereas Portsmouth ended up with about 234 thereby consigning us to the bottom division and Portsmouth to the top.

Teams will stay in there division for the whole of the season with promotion/relegation at the end, 2 up, 2 down.

Laters

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Cheers,

Any idea how big the divisions are going to be or how many of them there are? And will teams play everyone in their division at each event or will division games be spread over the season?

I'm guessing that if there are big divisions, the games will have to be spread over the season for everyone to play everyone. If the divisions are small then you could have a round robin at each event. But if there is only seasonal promotion/relegation it could get very repetitive, playing the same 8 teams all season.

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
I just had a look at the PA website, and they only list 27 teams.

Unless there are more teams still to sign-up, i would speculate: 3 divisions of 9 teams. Each team having 8 games per event. As i said above it might get a bit repetitive playing the same 8 teams 6 times.

garycarrot

Apr 9, 2002
Durham, North East England
Visit site
Just had a look in the rule book....

Its a centre flag tourny.

As for the working of the divisons, I think they said you will be promoted up and down each month?

The T.V. deals were not discussed at length, but the want us to be looking more professional for the camra's.

Currently riding at 31 teams who have confirmed...and yes we do need to update the web site...

We are still waiting on decisions from 8 other teams which we're expecting this week.

A note on Pompey...they are in fact something of an anomaly as far as the "seeding" works out. Because they played 3 Millenium events in 2K3 they were forced to play AmB which may have been a little unfair has they had some relatively inexperienced players if I remember correctly... but this means that across the board they have a high average which pushed up the teams experience rating.

There are teams booked in who still haven't sent us their rosters however which could shift Pompeys position dramatically :)

The issue of playing the same teams is something which the majority have come to realise isn't really an issue. Each of the squads is large enough that it's unlikey youll ever play exactly the same line up twice and probably not on the same field. We're actively encouraging teams to do as Manchester did at the PA cup and alter the squads to match the fields...kind of like American Football with offensive & defensive squads on the same team.

The fields are carefully planned out to have an agressive field, a defensive one and two different but "balanced" fields. So different game play & style could well determine the outcome as much as skill.

Having said this however, we also want teams to be in a position to know who they're playing so they can not only train specific skill, but actually have time to plan tactics and style of play to use against certain teams.

Personally I think it's more interesting and just as important for teams to look at the tactics of how to beat a certain team as much as which bunker they're going to run to on the break...

Missed this first time round...

Originally posted by Dazdread
I dont see repetition becoming an issue unless you hopelessly outclass your opposition... As I see it, you will have an oppertunity to analyse your opposition and tweak your game to try and overcome them.
If a team is hopelessly outclassed as Daz says. it gives them an opportunity to work out how & why and try and find solutions to it. If you're outclassed by a different team every week you don't really get chance to study the opposition and try and counter it...