Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

PA on Sky sports extra, Date's and time's

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Originally posted by Troggy

Going back to what Beaker had said earlier - its been done before. Transworld sport filmed the first (or second - or even both!?!) European indoor at Birmingham some 4 or 5 years ago, it was aired on Eurosport and I believe Channel4 quite a few times.

Now dont get me wrong - my own opinion is great, paintball - more to the point paintball that I was in, is gonna be on TV again!! But you can't really blame the sceptics...it didnt do anything for paintball last time, it probably aint gonna do anything this time.
Troggy,
I am not having a go at Beaker, thats not my style, I just have to say something when others have a go at the PA for them trying to increase the public awareness/perception of paintball in the UK.
You are quite correct about your points above, and I fully agree about it not doing anything this time, however this is just the thin edge of the wedge, first we had to try and get the concept on a mainstream sports channel.
It is not my place to say whats next but as I said it's the thin edge.
The PA has not set itself up to try and take over paintball in the UK, it only runs 6 events when most others run at least 10, so it's not your cash they are after.
Indeed the PA League could not work without a solid local league base, and try's it's best to support (by promotion) all the UK events.
The PA/PBUK is not anti anything/anyone, it has been suggested it is anti PGI, and what a load of boll%$ks that is, and if I thought that for one second I would not be involved at all.

But if anyone would like to ask any questions about the whole concept, or suggest ways we can make it work better my phone is always on.
Unless it's off. :)

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Russell,

I am not baggin' on PA , I have never been to one so i don't know what they are like other than talking to several players that have played / do play them.

My point is purely to do with the coverage I was under the impression would happen - I thought that the PA's promise of Sky coverage would be for a full blown programme. Now i haven't got time to go through every darn thread but when you announced it in this thread

http://67.19.5.132/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28715&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Why did you think it was a full show all about paintball,
well because you did say things like:

we cannot demand to know what time slot or how many programmes they will show
now when you say programmes I took that to mean a programme on the PA league, not a 5min soundbite piece lost in amongst something else, and from the responses to that thread alone i think its clear I wasn't the only one.

Plus teams started using that deal to get sponsors in - and I think many were of the assumption it would also be more than a skit.

such as Tom's

I think this will help us Managers get sposnors.

I have just informed the local paper, and we have an article in soon and this will hopefully be a selling point for us to get more local interest.
You've worked hard to get this bit of coverage and I've heard you had to spend a lot of money as well to secure it, great job, well done and congratulations. But please do not try and tell me the PA right from the start did everything in its power to limit the expectations of the players. Perhaps it wasn't intentional and just an omission but it seems the PA let people get carried away with themselves believing that they would automatically get a full programme not a piece.

Like I said i have never seen this Sports nation - do they do 15x3 minute sections of 3x10 minute ones? obviously the longer "we" get the better - so i was just asking someone who's seen it.

I wish you all the best, but please recognise that people might have had different expectations based on what was said (and assumed without contradiction) previously.

JoseDominguez

New cut and carved spine!
Oct 25, 2002
www.myspace.com
Not really bothered about times, format or the rest of it.

On the Monday after it's aired I can finally put a tape into the staffroom TV and say "I recorded this of sky sports, I played at that"

Says it all really, thank you and goodnight.

:)

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Originally posted by Beaker
Russell,
My point is purely to do with the coverage I was under the impression would happen - I thought that the PA's promise of Sky coverage would be for a full blown programme. Now i haven't got time to go through every darn thread but when you announced it in this thread

http://67.19.5.132/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28715&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
well because you did say things like:
now when you say programmes I took that to mean a programme on the PA league, not a 5min soundbite piece lost in amongst something else, and from the responses to that thread alone i think its clear I wasn't the only one.

Plus teams started using that deal to get sponsors in - and I think many were of the assumption it would also be more than a skit.

Fair point,

But I am sure you must understand all new sports have to go thru the stage of getting on the sports directors desk, and not getting thrown into the bin by dinner time.
We have mananged to stay there and we do have a better chance of coverage (for everyone) at the level we would like.
I did come over a tad excited when I made that post, but at the time I did not know how much they would use - it could have been anywhere between 3 and a half to 15 minutes, depending on what it come out like in the studio, but we where going to appear on a sky sports network programme.
I am pleased to tell you that they are showing their upper limit of 15 minutes, and said they would like to have shown more.
So while I agree with you that it is not the full series blow by blow, it is a step in the right direction.
As to your point about not playing it - get in touch with stongle and get on a team:) .

Russ