Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Photography

Jan 25, 2014
Dumfries
www.facebook.com
hi all i have just quickly skimmed all comments to your post so i apologise if i am going over old posts

1st off KIT.. GEAR… you have to make do with what you have not every one can afford a brand new NIKON D3x or a D800 at around £2000 or the equivalent to what ever cannon do sorry cannon users i am a nikon :) and lens chose not many can afford the
Nikon AF-S 200mm f/2 G ED VR at around £2290 second hand

so make do with why you have i shoot a Nikon D300 with a sigma 18-200 lens its around F3.5 and i have done ok with this set up i have had work published with paintballphotography.com and this year shooting for X3 so get out there and enjoy the game make new friends that will last a life time

2nd there are many people out there say use a rain cover to protect the camera and lens yes do if you can get one or uses towel i use a bright orange micro fibre cloth the sort you get in telcos or pound land for cleaning cars with

filters i have never used one as i don't like the way they look with in the images but i can see both sides of the argument for having them so its personal preference with this rather way you run the risk of getting hit with or with out

remember you are a photographer not just the action side of the game trust me when i say you can get some really cool images by shooting spectators and players while there not playing the emotion of the day you are there to tell a story not just the playing side

as one of my very 1st images was used for a advertisment for a paintball site and it was a pile of spilt paintballs for me it was just a throw away shot i was looking for some thing different and that shot was it

Masks you have to use a mask that works and is comfortable some thing you can have on all day for me its a JT ProFlex 08 as i like the way the visor sits with my camera but again this is your personal opinion

photography Dress code :) not that there is one really but before i started shooting more on a higher end i used to use a HIGH VIS any old high vis just to stand out as trust me you will get hit

as woods ball its a challenge as you have to have eyes in the bcd of your head as some players run up behind you as they think they won't be hit

tournament is more you should know where the players are going to be running you have to stand on the side lines you can not get onto the field of play like in woods but really you would not won't to with all the paint flying

ok now camera settings go with what ever you feel is right on the day as sorry to all my photography people out there but there is no golden rule on what to set your camera at ISO depends on the day apature depends on the day and what you are looking for shutter speed depends on ISO apature

( what i mean is this…. there is no point in setting you ISO at 200 app at F8 and your shutter at 1/1000 on a raining dar day as your images will be Black no good)

do some test shots 1st no harm in using a game to get your feet on the ground and get the camera set to how you won't it

as on a bright sunny day great ISO 200 app at what ever you lens lets you shutter speed get it up to 1/1000 +

BUT a normal day in are lovely country of Great briton where it rains most of the time well thats a different story you may have to bump the ISO up to around 500 may be more…. BUT this is when you get noise (noise can look good in some cases)

take plenty of refreshments as the day will not stop because you need to take a leek or won't your lunch its grab a bight on the go when you can i all ways ask the marshals if i can bring water onto the field i am shooting and put it right up to the netting

i hope this has helped you and sorry to all if i have covered what others have said

the last thing to say is welcome to the paintball photography family hope to see you on the field soon

just enjoy your day and shoot that camera

Reactions: Barrage

essa

Mar 8, 2012
Chester
I have cut n paste this link with a note to myself to actually find time to print off and read!!
I hear you already play so this wont be news to you but the best advice i had was to play myself and learn lanes for the best shots. The student cup was great this weekend to get inside the netting to take pics, am looking forward to doing this a bit more but do need to buy a lens protector (any links?)
The video vs pure photography is interesting will continue to follow that.
Also im not currently editing or watermarking so will be following any tips on that too :)

AmyStroodle

Jan 7, 2014
Leeds,West Yorkshire
www.facebook.com
I have cut n paste this link with a note to myself to actually find time to print off and read!!
I hear you already play so this wont be news to you but the best advice i had was to play myself and learn lanes for the best shots. The student cup was great this weekend to get inside the netting to take pics, am looking forward to doing this a bit more but do need to buy a lens protector (any links?)
The video vs pure photography is interesting will continue to follow that.
Also im not currently editing or watermarking so will be following any tips on that too :)
Atm I don't watermark my images, there's not need as I'm not selling them. :]
If someone were to use an image of mine, for example, for a magazine and didn't tell me I probably wouldn't mind as long as they didn't remove my signiture/logo, however if they did I honestly wouldn't know how to "sue" them for copyright or even if I could?

Make sure you shoot in RAW as this is the only thing that can porve the image is yours (I think it has a code of something that links to your camera lol dont quote me on that) plus they're best for edditing.

Might just be repeating what's already in this thread but shoot the shots wide so you can cut them (plus this way you wont cut peoples head/legs feet ect out unless that how you want to crop it to), tilt them so the grass is parrallell with the top of the picture (of if you cant see the grass the marker is parrarrell) and use the rule of 3rds.

All pictures need editing. Good Luck and see you about! If you're at CPPS sat/sun come over for a chat. :] (Btw if you're the person I think you are you got a great shot of my parnter from behind, cough, you can see the lane of paint he's shooting it's pretty snazzy)

essa

Mar 8, 2012
Chester
lol, thats me, yeah now just to get shots like that from infield :)

thats what i meant really signature/logo

as for anything actually photography related i dont understand anything lol - i literally did a photography course at centre parcs, partner had bought me a bridge camera so easy setttings, i learnt it all at the time, have since forgotten, and shot all the student cup in auto (hangs head)

yeah will be down sunday x