Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Photography

Barrage

Oct 19, 2009
Liverpool
I would agree, there is a lot more leeway with editing images shot in RAW however, when shooting 3,000 plus images a day, over 3 or 4 days at a PSP or Millennium event can you imagine the amount of storage needed, Especially when shooting at 20 plus MP. You can still make minor adjustments and even add border and filter effects to Jpeg images, but, why would you want to, if you have got it right (or close to) in the first place?

When I shoot Pro cycling, TDF, Milk Race, etc, the agency stipulate Jpeg, these images are syndicated the world over, often in a matter of hours, little or no post editing needed!
Agree photo journalists and sports photographers do tend to shoot in jpeg and usually have their cameras set up with wi fi for transmitting images on the fly.

For me its a hobby and shooting raw is fine for my needs because I don't have that many files to deal with.

Amy my set up at the moment is Nikon D3 and Nikon D700. My lens choice is 24-70mm f2.8AFS, 80-200mm f2.8 afs II, these are my workhorse lens for the paintball field. I have a magnified eye piece cover for the viewfinder to compensate for the distance i lose from wearing a mask while taking shots.Its still a learning curve for me as I tend to shoot wide open at f2.8 but have auto iso enabled. The photos I posted up from the masters were taken on a bright sunny day. It enabled me to shoot low iso setting with fast shutter speeds and it helped with my D3 set to continuous 11fps

Reactions: AmyStroodle

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Well cheers for the information. :]
Guess I'll have to keep learning through trial and error! Hopefully I'll get there in the end. :D

Should probably start learning to use photoshop propperly too. xD
TBH I'd recommend Lightroom, once you have mastered the basics, there will be no looking back, far better for post adjustments, cataloguing and workflow.

Reactions: Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy

Apr 8, 2013
I'd agree with @onasilverbike but if you want something quick and easy to pull the basics from your pics try Snapseed especially on the ipad it's great for on the fly editing.

Gazeddy

Jun 16, 2013
the android developer chainfire has built a version of his dslr controller for google glass. it may be easier to use than trying to use the viewfinder through a mask as google glass can be worn under a mask. **disclaimer** i dont know how useful it is for your particular camera as i dont have a dslr or google glass oddly enough

UrbanFox90

Ark Angels Member, Photographer
Oct 4, 2012
UK
I would allways have a filter on to protect my lens, I would also choose to be visable from space on the field when shooting. Everything else youve said is good with the use of a headband around the base of your camera I wouldnt have thought of that.

The style of shooting is the same with sport, you want a telephoto preferably a 70-200mm 2.8 for best results. minimum shutter speed should be around 125 but I would shoot alot higher. the lower your iso the better so your images have less noise but most decent cameras can compensate for this, also sharp images with higher iso are usually acceptable. Tight cropping will also benefit your work @Barrage your images are great, you don't need to vignette though!