Paintball will disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
No paintball will NOT disappear. Long live paintball! This was just a trick to get joe bob to write some brilliant posts.

joe, here's the cool sig you're looking for:

.tram-laW ta daeh ham no deppord zuw I !niarbaep ham esucxE

Peace.

Steve

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by TJ Lambini
1. Flawed logic.

2. So?

3. Nope.

4. And kill an industry whose gear sales alone in tha US last year topped £15,000,000, and that's without paint? I think not.

But I won't kill you, so you're right there...

:p
Yeah, I admit I was being a bit rhetorical and overly pessimistic on the first 3 points.

I am still on my mission to try to improve safety in paintball and the consequences I point out could come. We all know that safety has been lax at many of the tournaments. More so at NPPLs than at Millenniums, but we need to increase safety consciousness. Then rental operations in some places in the world are grossly exposing people to unnecessary risks.

Concerning point 4, the gross receipts won't mean a hill of beans if a fun, safer and less expensive alternative comes along. Of course it's a long time comin' and will phase in rather than hit us by storm. Just remember where you heard this first (if I am the first to suggest this.)

I hope paintball will continue 'cause I love tha pain! And what can replace that wonderful sound of paintballs flying in the air? Is lasertag gonna give us an electric shock via our wearables where we got tagged? And will we get some good sound effects?:D

twinkle toes

Spud eating?? Never!!!
Sep 14, 2001
Nottingham.
Visit site
Originally posted by Wadidiz

Concerning point 4, the gross receipts won't mean a hill of beans if a fun, safer and less expensive alternative comes along.
Originally posted by Wadidiz

I foresee tournaments and recreational play that looks like paintball, but without expensive masks, without expensive netting, without expensive clean-up and without expensive paintballs. And with almost total safety. Imagine X-Ball without the mess.

The initial cost of playing equipment will, of course, be very high. Thereafter the cost of playing will be comparatively low.

Yeah O.K. , but who is going to run this low profit making business? Tournies make money on entry and paint sales , etc , thats why they do them. With this kind of thing , unless they charge a lot more for entry , they wont get the same kind of cash potential for an event.

Plus...

It would n't have the same kind of adrenalin rush either. Just like Lazer Quest in the UK. It was safe ( except for the playing areas being nearly pitch black , and you keep running into walls etc ) but it was also as boring as you like. Paintball wont die that easy. You've got to come up with something better than laser guns.;).

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by twinkle toes

Yeah O.K. , but who is going to run this low profit making business? Tournies make money on entry and paint sales , etc , thats why they do them. With this kind of thing , unless they charge a lot more for entry , they wont get the same kind of cash potential for an event.

Plus...

It would n't have the same kind of adrenalin rush either. Just like Lazer Quest in the UK. It was safe ( except for the playing areas being nearly pitch black , and you keep running into walls etc ) but it was also as boring as you like. Paintball wont die that easy. You've got to come up with something better than laser guns.;).
Good points.

Same kinda questions have always been asked during technological revolutions or changes. "What's gonna happen to all the peasants if we allow tractors?", "What's going to happen to the oil industry if we develop fuel-cell technology?" etc. We can't stop the tide of progress (even when it might not really be progress).

People will get paid for organizing the events, renting out the football pitches, controlling safety and fairness, and selling equipment, etc.There will be competitive manufacturers of the appropriate equipment. And I don't think it will be cheap.

And like I said in my last post, it will be a gradual phasing in as the technology evolves.

I agree with you that I would certainly miss the adrenalin rush that comes with the natural fear of the pain associated with getting hit, another thing that I mentioned in my last post. That could be fixed, if everyone wants it, with a harmless electric shock that nevertheless wants to be avoided.

I don't think today's laserdome, lasertag, or whatever it might be called, even comes close to paintball. I totally agree with you on that point. But, as I suggest, improving technology could bring something that could look a lot like today's paintball tournaments. Except without the masks, without the netting and without the cheating.

j0hn

Oct 9, 2002
www.pod-throwers.com
Take example guns. There's people out there who should never have had real guns in the first place, who's only real intention of em was to cause some mass destruction or for someone to loose their life. With markers/guns it's the same thing... most of the cases you see of people misusing them is some punk kid wants to go shoot up his friends house with a talon at his local target. All the "top people" in the governments still see there's a difference between the two type of "paintballers".

Status
Not open for further replies.