Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Pro vs. Novice Training Techniques

Inferno

Paintball Addict
It seems to me that most people in the rec scene want to go to tournaments. I hear it all the time, but most first-time teams and some teams that have only played local tournies don't seem to have the dedication to get to that level. I haven't witnesses any pro teams play or train, so I would like the likes of Robbo, Rab, and other players that are trying to make big tournaments chime in on their training schedules/techniques.

SYTRAXZ

Sytraxz Graphics inc.
Feb 18, 2002
New York
lol

Originally posted by eric
I noticed you are naming some of the best ballers ever, where is my name?:D
he said the BEST so that dont include you lol:D naw im only playinf with ya i guess youd be pretty good but i havent seen you play yet but then again iv never seen any one in here play...... o well yeah maby robbo could tell/help ya

Micah

I think he's saying that it seems like all the new tourney players/teams are looking to one day be able to hang with the best, guys like Robbo and Rab but they don't want to put in the work. But he doesnt know how to put in the work as he has never seen how the best teams train. He wants to emulate the best to learn to be the best ...

He wants advise as to how to train like the best or something ...

Sometimes I don't even understand myself ...

-Micah

MarkehB

www.markehb.com
Well our training schedule goes summit like this:

11.00am
Drag ourselves outta our respective beds still mashed from the night b4.

11.30am
Turn up at a random location, and setup the sup'air field.

12.30pm
After finishing putting the field up we head to the pub for some lunch and 3 or 4 pints and talk about what we're gonna do at training.

7.30pm
Drag ourselves outta the pub and attempt to put the field away without puking onit or feinting.

8.30pm
Go home

Originally posted by Micah
I think he's saying that it seems like all the new tourney players/teams are looking to one day be able to hang with the best, guys like Robbo and Rab but they don't want to put in the work. But he doesnt know how to put in the work as he has never seen how the best teams train. He wants to emulate the best to learn to be the best ...

-Micah
Well if he wants to know how to train, the best advice has to be to read PGI and have a good look at the Classroom section on www.p8ntballer.com.

Greg

Banned
Jul 9, 2001
Campaign aka me home
The way i look at it the best way to train is to start of with a game then see what could have been better what was good where do we need to improve to drill on the thing we imporve on hard work but worth it in the long run:D :D

Inferno

Paintball Addict
Originally posted by Micah

-Micah
The fact that you were able to halfway decipher what the hell I was babbling about amazes me. I started the thread knowing where I was going, then went off on a tangent(unlike you my tangents never seem to apply:)). However, I don't want advice on how to train; my level of dedication is extremely low, and even though I love the sport tremendously, I don't have the drive to become one of the greats. I primarily play rec-ball, and I have come into contact with plenty of rec-ballers that aspire to be the one of the great players of the sport. However, they not only lack the dedication to work on the technical aspect of the game, they kid themselves about their actual abilities. None of them have actually measured their skills against those of large-caliber tournament players(not you Eric ;)), and yet they speak about how they will soon become sponsored(because their soooo damn good). Most of these 'baller are full of ****. Given the right training, these players, with all of their raw talent, might have the chance to fulfill their dreams. But the fact is that most don't train very often, if at all.

Kieran, I assure you that I have read every article on P8ntballer, but this thread was not originally started to get the actual training techniques. I was actually more interested in the amount of time that these great players devote to training, and how the allotted time is spent
(ie. 8 hours a week:
10% snapshooting drills,
50% 4 on 1 drills,
40% scrimmages).
The time breakdown does not necessarily need to be this precise; I just want to know how much time you devote to training and what you concentrate on.

I am sorry I did not state my question in a clearer fashion in the first place, but I hope that everyone, including jeevusmaximus will understand this time.

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
Varies from player 2 player Inferno

Robo advocates spending as much time as possible on your personal technique: playing tight; watching your profile, snap-shooting...getting the basics perfected.

Me, I say work on your weaknesses 'til you don't have any, then try and raise your whole game. Too many players are good at say, snap-shooting, so that's all they practise cos they don't wanna analyse themselves, honestly asses their weaknesses and then work on 'em, cos it's the harder path to take and most people are basically pretty lazy.

To be honest though, most of the top guys that I know don't apply a lot of science to their training, they just scrimmage.

peace