Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Quantity vs Quality

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
Great point Exile.
Then isn't the problem down to apathy of players? if the choice is theirs to make and not the problem being another event series?
Yes, but that has led to the situation we had a couple of years ago with every man, woman and child putting on a Tournament series and getting the same 6-7 local teams entering every month. Low turnouts = lesser competition, smaller events with fewer facilities (as there isn't any money to pay for them) and a general decline in player, referee and organiser standards.

Now surely you can't tell me that is a good thing?

But if the Federation (some might argue artificially) restricts the number of events, then the teams have fewer choices, granted - but those choices can be of a higher quality, benefiting even the "burger van" player by offering them an all-round better event for their entry dollar*.

Now I'm a huge capitalist, but I'm also acutely aware that sometimes the market needs a prod in the right direction or it could fall flat - looking at the average return for even a reasonable attendance in a well-run event, I personally wouldn't bother as when you check your hourly rate, I think the local Dirty Fried Chicken pays better. By gently "funnelling" the teams and players into fewer events, you allow the organiser to see something approaching a decent return, which will allow them to re-invest. The attendance figures of 2 years ago barely covered costs, let alone allowed for profit and reinvestment - then you can see which organisers are striving to make their events better, as they will actually have the funds to do so. Maybe they will even hold bigger "one-off" events like Blackpool or Heavens Gate, where a loss is made on the event but the overall profit line allows for the showcase event to make fiscal sense in terms of branding and profile.

*seeing as Robbo started the whole Americanism thing, I thought y'all wouldn't mind if I joined in.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Why are people hating on Americans/Americanisms? Do I need to start going ghetto on people again?

(sucks teeth)

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Yes, but that has led to the situation we had a couple of years ago with every man, woman and child putting on a Tournament series and getting the same 6-7 local teams entering every month. Low turnouts = lesser competition, smaller events with fewer facilities (as there isn't any money to pay for them) and a general decline in player, referee and organiser standards.

Now surely you can't tell me that is a good thing?

But if the Federation (some might argue artificially) restricts the number of events, then the teams have fewer choices, granted - but those choices can be of a higher quality, benefiting even the "burger van" player by offering them an all-round better event for their entry dollar*.

Now I'm a huge capitalist, but I'm also acutely aware that sometimes the market needs a prod in the right direction or it could fall flat - looking at the average return for even a reasonable attendance in a well-run event, I personally wouldn't bother as when you check your hourly rate, I think the local Dirty Fried Chicken pays better. By gently "funnelling" the teams and players into fewer events, you allow the organiser to see something approaching a decent return, which will allow them to re-invest. The attendance figures of 2 years ago barely covered costs, let alone allowed for profit and reinvestment - then you can see which organisers are striving to make their events better, as they will actually have the funds to do so. Maybe they will even hold bigger "one-off" events like Blackpool or Heavens Gate, where a loss is made on the event but the overall profit line allows for the showcase event to make fiscal sense in terms of branding and profile.

*seeing as Robbo started the whole Americanism thing, I thought y'all wouldn't mind if I joined in.
Well put

pid

blah blah blah
Aug 27, 2005
in the thick of it
Visit site
Well put indeed.
But how can the Federation restrict the number of events, say by stopping Wendy moving down south but let other southern events continue?

p.s. nice touch on the Americanism thing :)

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
Well put indeed.
But how can the Federation restrict the number of events, say by stopping Wendy moving down south but let other southern events continue?
Short of peer pressure/gentleman's agreement or kidnapping her family, nothing. Therein lies the rub. If Wendy cannot see the long-term economic strategy in having fewer, higher attendance events, then there's nothing stopping her.

Unless the Players (meaning both Northern and Southern teams) can otherwise persuade her by not going - but then that means inconveniencing themselves, albeit in the short term, so we know that isn't going to happen.

p.s. nice touch on the Americanism thing :)
Why thank you kindly sir, Ah been trying to lessen ma accent for y'all.

pid

blah blah blah
Aug 27, 2005
in the thick of it
Visit site
Short of peer pressure/gentleman's agreement or kidnapping her family, nothing. Therein lies the rub. If Wendy cannot see the long-term economic strategy in having fewer, higher attendance events, then there's nothing stopping her.
I understand your point, and it's nice to have a good debate with someone. So thanks again to all.
*Just to clarify, in case anyone's wondering. I don't know what's gone on nor am i privilidged enough to do so. I think the thing that's sticking in my mind is to why such a furor is created when Wendy has spoken about extending southwards when other events are there. Surely peer pressure should apply to all? Federation registered or not?
I agree that less is more but i can't help feel that this has almost been a witch hunt to Wendy's door. When there's already a dilution down south. I know she's stepped on some toe's and i see why people are upset about it.
Sorry if i missed your point with this but i'm at "work".

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
I understand your point, and it's nice to have a good debate with someone. So thanks again to all.
*Just to clarify, in case anyone's wondering. I don't know what's gone on nor am i privilidged enough to do so. I think the thing that's sticking in my mind is to why such a furor is created when Wendy has spoken about extending southwards when other events are there. Surely peer pressure should apply to all? Federation registered or not?
I agree that less is more but i can't help feel that this has almost been a witch hunt to Wendy's door. When there's already a dilution down south. I know she's stepped on some toe's and i see why people are upset about it.
Sorry if i missed your point with this but i'm at "work".

Which, ironically, is why the Fed was created, to bring UK ball together under one name so to speak at last, so that things like this could be, controlled hopefully for the better.

Now, I think it was stated in the beggining, that the initial members of the Fed were the biggest and most influential, and whilst over time other companies would be brought in, they needed a starting point. The thing being, after just 1 year, a key member has now gone back on their word before anything could realy be brought into full swing.