Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Question about playing on?

CROOKED-POPO

***ud father
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
I just watched the LA Open footage at Warpig and in the last game, the last player on the losing team is defending his back bunker. He's coming out of his right side and you see a ball impact the top right side of his ricochet hopper. You can tell that it broke because you see the paint spray along the angle of impact, and you can see that the player felt it because he immediately checked his hopper. That qualifies it as an obvious hit doesn't it? Then a ref runs into the picture, I don't know if the hit player called him or the other team sent him, and checks the player including his hopper and calls him clean. I am supposing the ref saw the spray but it was not big enough to call the elimination if the ref didn't see the hit, so I'm not saying the ref screwed up, but doesn't what the player did constitute playing on? I just want to get a little clarity here.

Micah

Much of the time, a paintball will impact, breaqk, and spray off, but not leave a mark. When you're a distance away, it looks like the player was marked, but in reality, little to no paint was left.

Which game are you refering to? I don't remember seeing that happen in the LA Open Video ... What I did notice tho, and was relieved thatit wasn't my imagination, was that Full Breach Actually does cheat their asses off. Shame really, they have alot of talent.

-Micah

CROOKED-POPO

***ud father
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
It was the end of the Fuel vs. G Force game. The last player in the red Dye jersey playing the lay down can on his knees, I don't know which team was which. I gotta agree with you about the Full Breach players that were cheating. Hopefully their team captain will put a stop to that type of play, that way we can lay it on an individual instead of making broad judgements about all the players on their team. If you watch the game again and don't see it, maybe it's my imagination but I've watched it 4 times now and it looks exactly like I described.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
No

If a ref checked him and didn't pull his band and he didn't advance or fire his marker in the interrum he didn't play on. And the likelihood is he heard, not felt, the hit off his hopper or saw a flash of spray. What you don't say is whether the part of his hopper the player checked was where it was hit?
Also seems to me that under those circumstances a ref should be on top of that player and if the ref sees a break he doesn't need to find a mark to pull the player.

eric

Dedicated Pot Bitch
Aug 23, 2001
US, Ohio
Visit site
No

Originally posted by Baca Loco
Also seems to me that under those circumstances a ref should be on top of that player and if the ref sees a break he doesn't need to find a mark to pull the player.
Wait, so you think that a player should be eliminated by a ball that broke and sprayed off into the air and didn't mark the player if the ref saw it? Thats not right. The way people are eliminated is with a mark on a player, not because a ball fired at them broke. And you also cant do this because it would be two sets of rules. One for when the ref is watching, and one for when the ref isnt.

And how does theref know that the ball broke on the player, and not the bunker, if all he sees is a break and no mark?

Abou two weeks ago we were playing some supair and we were exchanging fire (as you do).I felt a hit on my hopper.Leaned back in and looked my gun up and down.Couldn't see anything and then carried on playing.Then the marshal comes running over ,checks my gun and there was a hit on the vertical feed.
Somehow I didnt see it, I must have been to busy looking at the hopper itself.
another time I found myself with yellow fingers.I was sure I hadn't been shot but I called myself out anyway because I couldn't play coz it was bugging me how I had come to get my hand covered in paint.

P8tgeeza

Jul 1, 2002
Bucks, England
Visit site
I remember one time where I cheated by accident. I was hiding behind a little barrier made of sticks and branches and that while everybody behind me was getting lit up. Like a hero I popped up and started firing when I feel something in my hair. Instanly I pop back down and whipe my hair with my hand. There is a bit of yellow on it but it wasn't that much, must be a spay I thought but just to be sure I wiped it again, a bit more yellow.

In the end I was laying there wiping away at my head and got sent of by a ref for wiping, it was a bit unfair as I think it was a spay but he did his job and I don't blame him.

CROOKED-POPO

***ud father
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
Well now it has happened to me. I was playing against my brother's team on an airball field and saw my brothers hopper poking out as he hammered away at my back left tape. I spanged a ball off of it and saw it break and spray. I started yelling and the ref checked him and did not find any paint. I know he didn't wipe it so I guess the spray was all up and away. I got to bunker him about 2 minutes later so that was alright.:D

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
I think everyone needs to be honest about how they play. When you start a move, you finish it. Call a paint check when you're in your destination. You let the refs tell you if you survived, and if you survived long enough to complete the stab or the grab or the bump. Whatever the refs say is then gospel.

The only exception which would stop you in mid motion is an obvious hit, and that is an impact you feel where you see a mark bigger than a quarter, or multiple impacts where one had to break. Judgement call in the heat of the game? Oh yah. Cheating? Possibly. But how do you stop in midmove, inspect yourself, see nothing, and then continue without being a gloriousily exposed and frozen paintball magnet?

As far as hits leaving a mark, I've seen lots of ref calls pulling someone whether the break left a mark or not, and just accept that as part of the game.

Sorry for the rant, it's a sore spot because I don't like even the perception of cheating, but I pulled myself too often with no mark due to a hit and learned my lesson. And everything I stated only applies to a tournament - in practice or drilling or scrimmages, I put my hand up and get my ugly mug into the dead box whether or not there's a mark.

Larry