Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Questions about small parts ion

PBWill

Mar 18, 2013
England
Ok, so ive got a Ion, without a barrel or air.... so yes, thats quite a pain, but i have done some research and lots of people are saying different things, so i have a few questions and would appreciate it if anyone could answer me these questions!

1. is air or co2 better for the Ion?

2. what damage would occur if i were to use co2?

3. do you have to use a remote line for co2 on my gun?

4. which one is more cost effective?

Cheers, Will

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
If you`ve got a computer board in the grip ( which you should have ) use AIR as if you use C02 the Ice from the bottle will finish your gun, Thought you did your homework mate ??( wink ) Check on U-Tube = plenty of vids on this. And it`s Smart Parts = went bust , Now called GOG

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
1. is air or co2 better for the Ion?
In the grand scheme of things air is much better than CO2. It is less likely to damage seals and is far more consistent in different weather conditions. Also when shooting rapidly on CO2 the gun will get VERY cold

2. what damage would occur if i were to use co2?
Ions are designed to work with CO2 as well as air, they are reasonably tough so using it won't trigger instant death. You'll probably find yourself having to replace seals more often and of course there are risks of freezing damaging the electronics.

3. do you have to use a remote line for co2 on my gun?
No, no need. Although by using a remote with the bottle valve at the top you reduce your risk of drawing liquid CO2 into the gun. Liquid CO2 is obviously very cold and as above will be rougher on the gun. An alternative to a remote would be a correctly setup CO2 bottle with an anti-syphon tube (google it)

4. which one is more cost effective?
That all depends on how much you are planning to play. If you aren't wanting to pay much and only play the occasional walk on the CO2 would be enough, of course this is working on the basis that your local site can fill CO2. If you think you'll get into paintball over the longer term then go with air. Over time you'll replace your guns but beside getting it retested a good air tank and regulator can last a long time. I strongly recommend mooching the for sale section of this forum.

Reactions: PBWill

PBWill

Mar 18, 2013
England
Thanks for the help, next time i go down to the field i'll bring my gun and ask if they can test it with aie!

Cheers Will

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
H , That is an easy to read and easy to understand post mate, of course there`s more to do with Co2 and air and reasons ect, but that was a well thought out post, well done mate.

PBWill

Mar 18, 2013
England
I dont know if it will, its been sitting in a garage for 2 years! i took off the grip, put in a new battery and it turn on fine, switched modes and all that. One potention problem. The pipe thats supposed to take the air into the front grip and up into the gun, was detached when i first got it. were the velocity adjuster is, it wasnt in the grip.

Cheers Will

PBWill

Mar 18, 2013
England
Ok, the make it more understandable: The part ( valve i think?) that the air is screwed into is fine, its the other end of it, does the airline have to be sealed? and how hard is it to do?

H

Wizard, of sorts...
Feb 27, 2002
Nottingham, England
www.ministryofcake.net
Can you take some pictures and show us?

It sounds like you mean the macroline hosing that goes from the ASA as the bottom of the pistol grip frame into the elbow at the base of the front regulator (the handle at the front). Assuming the hose is cut straight and the elbow isn't broke it should just push in, a lil tug and its sealed. Show us some pics and I'll know more.

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The macro line between the ASA (Air system adaptor) at the trigger grip frame and the regulator is attached by push fit connectors.
If it is in decent condition and the integrity of the ends are straight then that should not have any leaks.
As its been off and in the garage do check it has been blown through before airing up as any dust etc will be blown to the filter before the regulator.

There could be other issues when you first air up, so a basic strip & service would be a good idea. But if you are not familiar then it may be a better idea to test before taking apart so you know what does or does not work before you blame yourself for not rebuilding properly.
For a barrel it takes Smart Parts threaded barrels, and in the UK they are still known as Smart Parts, but in the rest of the world they are now Gog.
http://www.smartpartspaintball.co.uk/

Manuals are available here:
http://www.smartpartspaintball.co.uk/support/smart-parts-support.asp

As everyone else has covered the Ion can be used on Co2 but there are potential issues. If using co2 then you ought to have either a cylinder with anti-syphon correctly installed for the marker, or using a remote line.
Its much simpler and easier to use air (still pretty cheap for a 3000psi aluminium/steel cylinder in the region of £30)
CO2 should realy only be considered if it is the only option at the site you will play