Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Quick release barrels - a good idea?

~Solo~

Sep 13, 2007
Kent
Hi all.

Just wanted to initiate a discussion on the potential pros and cons of a quick release barrel. Ideally it would be nice if a manufacturer saw the thread and then started making 'em but I guess we can just hope.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I began my walk-on journey with a Tippy A5. Having progressed to electros - a PMR and then a DM I find it frustrating that removing the barrel on said DM is such a lengthly job. "Why is this an issue?" I hear you ask. Well, if I get a barrel break in the field (Woods or Big Game, not Tourney) I prefer to remove the barrel fully so I can swab out the paint properly rather than just ram it down onto the bolt. Back in the day this was easy with the A5 because you could just loosen the front two bolts of the gat so that the barrel adaptor would release with just a quarter of a turn. Ergo - instant barrel release and immediate swabbing action.

With the DM I have to run for deep cover and spend a nerve jangling couple of minutes unscrewing and then rescrewing the barrel hoping that I dont get mugged.

Would a quick release system for gats and barrels not be a superior design for this kind of thing or do we think that the barrel to gat alignment would not be accurate enough without a lengthy screw thread? Maybe its the sort of thing that could be an aftermarket add-on. Maybe Gommie could get his lathe out and work something up.

Any thoughts?

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
The auto cocker thread isn't actually a good thread from an engineering point of view, it just got popular because of the amount of clones around about 8 years ago.

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Sounds like automag barrels on the T8/9's, wouldn't surprise me give the valve is pretty much lifted from one as well.