Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Seal or PTFE?????

Nosler

TMH Tazball
May 30, 2011
Hi ,

I need to replace the QR on a remote line and a nipple on a asa adaptor,

So my question is do I use PTFE tape or is there a liquid sealant I can use??????

Spooly

PMGWC #16
Jul 9, 2011
Bournemouth
ptfe is cheaper and will work just as well as Loctite. BUT blue loctite which is just a weak thread lock will seal aswell and looks alot neater than unraveled ptfe.
and for some reason people think ptfe will stretch your threads and will make them useless over time but that Bulls**t.

so its either ptfe £1-2

or

blue loctite £10 for 50ml bottle

phil-boy

UK Redskins
May 6, 2004
Essex, UK
www.uk-redskins.com
I hate ptfe with a vengance !!! I dont know why but I do.

I use Blue Loctite all the time - Halfords do there own brand one thats cheaper but still does the trick.

Whatever you do - DONT use Red Loctite, unless of course you dont want it coming undone EVER !!!!!!

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Blue loctite isn't a sealant - its a thread locker designed to stop screws shaking loose, technically PTFE is only for tapered threads but I think air fittings are 1/8th BSP tapered. PTFE all the way!

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
ptfe isn't a sealant, it's function is to give the joint lubrication so that it can seal correctly. This is why you must never over apply ptfe, and assume it will seal. The seal will be made by the taper fit of the two threads, if you apply too much ptfe the joint will be comprimised and loose it's pressure handling capability.

Standard ptfe is not even rated to 4500psi.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
For loctite you can get a free 10ml sample following the link and actions here:
http://www.ukscenario.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=14899&p=270381&hilit=Free+loctite#p270381

You can get loctite 243 or 270, 243 is what you would normally want
If you have an extra email / postal address you can get one each, or get your buddies to order alternate ones

The link should still work, but I found that it may not arrive at first but if you prompt customer services then it arrives in days

Nosler

TMH Tazball
May 30, 2011
Hi ,

Thanks for your help ,

I will try one of each me thinks,

Have a few bottles of 243 kicking about ( last hobby was nitro helis , all for sale !!)

Cheers