Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

SmartParts can't ship guns?

Originally posted by QuackingPlums

Not sure what the patent would have required SP to do in order to comply with the ruling, but one option would be to set the code-protect bits... however, it is widely known that this is not foolproof.
That wouldnt work at all!!!

Setting code protect bits doesnt stop it being reprogrammable, it stops you reading the code that was stored on there when the code protect fuses were set.

It can still be reprogrammed in the normal way...

Originally posted by Chris - Nexus Eclipse
whats to stop WDP doing what SP did and ****ting on everybody, now the run the NPPL and own the gun patents.....

....same old **** different day:mad:

Hmm the same thing that has stopped them in the past???

For example the eblade has been going for quite a while now with WDP patented technology, and I dont see anyone suing planet.

Pump'n'Splat

Ambassador of BOING!
Not wanting to cause any intercontinental ballistic offence, but the whole "What stops WDP becoming marker nazis" issue is down to the respective business culture really:

WDP - UK Company - Business ethos "Hey there chap, see you're using my jolly little bit of technology, would you mind awfully paying a little bit towards my royalties, or if not, let's be pals about it and go have a cup of tea"

Smart Parts - US Company - "Someone's looking at my god-given hard-fought piece of the glittering American Dream - Call the lawyers, the army, the navy, the marines.....you'll have my technology when you can pry it from my cold, dead hands....."

*Tongue pressed firmly into cheek* :p

QuackingPlums

Go get a wee-mee!
Oct 30, 2002
Docklands, London
Visit site
Originally posted by John C
That wouldnt work at all!!!

Setting code protect bits doesnt stop it being reprogrammable, it stops you reading the code that was stored on there when the code protect fuses were set.

It can still be reprogrammed in the normal way...
I know! That's what I mean! How far do SP have to go to prove that a board isn't programmable? I'm confident enough with a soldering iron/bath to replace any PIC on any board, SMT or otherwise, and program the new one with any code I want.

The hard thing to work out is exactly what the rest of the board is doing. At least with code protect enabled then in principle, I'd have to dig out my oscilloscope and do some reverse engineering, rather than just looking at somebody else's hard work... ;)

In practice of course, I'd just look up "defeat PIC code protect" on google... :rolleyes:

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
If a board isn't programmable by a remote station... how do you put the code on it in the first place?

Claim 39 is very interesting. I need to put some more effort into reading the patent and claims.

Lucky.One

Dec 1, 2003
suckago
www.lucky-paintball.com
hey manike, i heard a rumor i will be working for you soon... u hear those rumors?

What sux about our court system, they could have sentenced SP to death and we would not have closure until i am as old as robbo, and that is a loooong ways away.