Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Sock or plug

matj

Mar 22, 2013
Hi all,

Time to demonstrate just how new I am to owning my own gear...

What are the pros and cons of a barrel sock or barrel plug. I have both.

I'm tempted more to use the plug, but does it damage the inside of the barrel?

Thank you for any help especially considering how silly the question probably is.

Narkadox

The Man With The Golden Gun
Jan 3, 2013
Barrel sock every time. Only use the plug as a last resort if you lose or damage your sock. This is a good video explaining why (about 7 minuets in):

Last edited:
Reactions: matj

Kevin Winter

Dec 10, 2008
Plugs can be shot out by a paintball - socks cannot, so most sites/events insist on socks, not plugs.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
As above, socks/condoms are preferred.
They must be securely fitted, otherwise it will shoot off
And if brightly coloured it is easily seen to be fitted to reduce the chanches people think you may be in game

Barrel socks were first designed to go on top of plugs as extra security. This can mean some socks were thin and not designed to stop paint, just to hold the plug in place. The quality still varies so if you have a high ROF set then make sure your sock is strong enough in the fabric with reinforcement and the elastic to keep in place and not break in a burst of fire

Plugs can be used if prefered or a sock is not practical
For large barrels such as a flatline, apex or glow attachment do not allow for standard socks.
You either need a jumbo sock or a plug

Plugs can either be just the plug, which is not ideal. Or a plug secured by elastic like a sock. this is vastly better
There is also a plug design with a point on the inside to puncture paintballls reducing their impact

if using a holstered pistol then sock & plug options are reduced to what fits
If the holster has a covered end you could theoretically treat the holster as a sock, but you cannot take it out safely
Some people have holstered the pistol then put on be style of plug with 'wings', this is so they can draw and the plug drops. It still means you cannot take the pistol out safely

Last edited:
Reactions: H and matj

MorphMann

Fb UK Big Games
Jun 5, 2012
Kettering, Northants
I understand both sides to this, but I still use same barrel plugs I have had since early 90's. They have large rubber rings that I change once a year to make sure they always stay secure. Main reason I still use plugs is for "good luck", and hopefully the aforementioned luck will come one day....... :(

I also have plenty of barrel socks in my kit bag for sites that don't allow the plugs.

matj

Mar 22, 2013
Thank you all for your input.

I can see the logic of the plug being blown out...but i can also understand why people still use them. For me the convenience was it fitting in my pocket better...as I will always keep my plug/sock on me in a zipped pocket so it is easy to get to. But i don't like forcing it into the end of the barrel...just doesn't feel right

I think, with all of the information taken into account, a sock is the way to go. I have a nice empire one with a reinforced bottom that I can't see a paintball going through no matter how many you fire...I think it may be my 'weapon' of choice. I think health and safety should be my priority instead of my own laziness :LOL:

Thank you all for your input, very much appreciated (y)

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
Plugs have been banned from most sites, with guns that come here from overseas that have the plugs within the packaging are usually taken out and binned,
all guns that I used to sell at Paintball Direct were dealt with this way and replaced with a Barrel sock, People safety was always the priority, the fact that plugs could be shot, if any had a problem with this I recommended using their empty paint pod held on.