Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Spelling/abbreviations

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
It may be because I'm an old fogey, but I'm starting to have problems reading some of the posts on the forums due to the spelling & abbreviations.
Before anyone gets upset, I'm not talking here about the people who have a problem with ordinary spelling but those who are using text messaging type abbreviations & "grammar" in their posts. There's been a few recently where I've had to read the post 2 or 3 times before I can understand it. I do use abbreviations when I send text messages, but with posting on boards and email you don't have a) the restricted message size & b) the problems of using a phone keypad.
So please, please think before you post, maybe even (gasp, shock, horror) review what you've written before hitting the submit button, just to make sure it's going to be reasonably easy for us poor oldies out here to read.

OK, rant over (for now)

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Well, reviewing some of the threads it looks like there's just a few guys that are doing this, & the mini-rant was probably a bit unnecessary. But it actually takes me more time & effort to read some of these posts than it does to read the typical Killer Onion, Buddha3 or Robbo post ;)

Believe it or not, but there are people on these boards that grew up before the days of mobile phone texting, so it isn't second nature to us to read in that format ;)

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Liz, I know exactly how you feel.
Also, some of the people that use these chatroomy things are very bad at spelling and grammar. All that combines into a very unintelligable post, and a complete waste of cyberspace!

Thanks for bringing that up. I was thinking about it too, but I was afraid people would think I'm a boring old guy......:D

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
I can understand most of them (eventually), & the usual mail abbreviations (AFAIK, IMHO, LOL etc) are OK for me. It's just like Buddha3 said, a combination of txt words, bad spelling & bad grammar makes it hard.
Obviously I'm just not kewl & trendy, but careful grammar & phrasing makes a major difference to success in my job & it can irritate me a bit when people are either intentionally spelling stuff wrong or are just too lazy to get it right
AJermstad - haven't yet found one of your posts that I couldn't understand first go so what you're doing is fine - you even use punctuation in the right place unlike some of the others.

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Liz,

I've noticed how bad alot of the regular grammar around here is aswell!! Some posts just don't make sence no matter how you interperet them!!

And I don't think there's any need to translate that one LATHAM!!!! :D