Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

To peak, or not to peak?

Philip

Whip it out..
Mar 24, 2002
Ellesmere Port
Right, here is my daily question. Since pretty much all of the hits against me are on my mask, i kinda figured out that i was doing something wrong when peaking out of my bunker and what i want to know is when to peak out. Do i do it when the firing stops, during the fire or just when ever i get cramp in my leg :D .

Thanks in aqdvance, Philip :D

SYTRAXZ

Sytraxz Graphics inc.
Feb 18, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Philip
Right, here is my daily question. Since pretty much all of the hits against me are on my mask, i kinda figured out that i was doing something wrong when peaking out of my bunker and what i want to know is when to peak out. Do i do it when the firing stops, during the fire or just when ever i get cramp in my leg :D .

Thanks in aqdvance, Philip :D
um looks in between different times, like if u waited 10 seconds to shoot then wait 20, then wait 25, then wait only 5. keep them on their toes. get a mask that hugs your face better and never look in the same place more that once

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
The number one bit of advice I have for you there is to never look without your gun pointed exactly where your eyes are looking. Quite simply, what good does it do for you to see someone and not be able to shoot them that instant? If they're able to see and shoot you first then obviously the result will be the same every time such is true. Look with less of your head and try to make the end of your barrel to be the first thing that crosses the plane of sight, to where something must be in front of it to be at any position to shoot you, and hence you can shoot at them, and since you are proceding to that direction on your initiative, ideally you'll be able to react first.

jermanboy

Aug 25, 2001
Independence, MO
Visit site
Something that helps me is to watch the angle that balls are coming past your bunker. Make an ivisible line from bursts of paint. This will give you an idea of how far you can move out. If you just have to get look at the person shooting hug the bunker and look out just enough to catch a glimpse.
No uneccesary movement. Only stick out the bare minimum, and try not to go over the top of the bunker if you dont have to.

Jones the Paint Magnet

All the gear - no idea
Dec 19, 2001
Croydon/East Grinstead
Visit site
I think KillerOnion should start his own masterclass (and give me some of his steak recipes!) ;)

You may have heard of a "Cyrillian Roll" (which doesn't involve bad jokes about pushing people down mountains). This is essentially where you keep your lower section planted and lean out from the waist in a firing stance, so as KillerO says, when you look out, you gun is in line and tracking so you can fire at a target. So before you look out, make sure you are ready to fire, and you can even start shooting too, although be careful on Sup Air - you could well eliminate yourself if you bounce on off the teabag/whatever you are hiding behind.

GoatBoy

Come to Goatboy ladies...
Sep 26, 2001
West Sussex
Visit site
Here's my ha penny's worth.

Basically if your getting pegged when your peeking out and checking out the situation, we're talking about two things :

Either your not playing tight enough ( playing tight aslo covers sneeky peeks not just snap shooting and keeping your opponent in )

and/or your taking too long to have a goosy gander.

Killer O has it right when he talks about having the marker up and aligned with where ever you're looking - but I would also take a trip back to basics and do some drills on staying tight.

Have a team mate lie down in front of your bunker and watch you as you practise taking a peek/snap firing etc. He'll be able to give you tips like - elbow sticks out a bit/slow on the snap back into cover/you're looking to far out with your face trying to watch where your paint lands etc.

I think whether you wear a peak on your gogs or not won't really matter, so long as you play tight, and keep your sneeky peeks to a bare minimum. Hopefully after some practise you'll see the number of eliminations drop off.

hope this helps :)

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
speed n' brains baby

You mean you're gettin' chumped out dude.

Don't stick your whole head out, even if you just want a quick peek, try leaning back or standing away from your bunker a little to increase your angle this way they may not see your face but you can just see enough of what you need to.

If you do need to get right out there make sure your gun is out with you with your eye looking doewn the inside of your marker rather than the outside, this way you show half as much of your face.

If it's all gettin' a bit hectic then step away a little and fire you marker around FAST until you can safely reach the angle you need, they'll duck and you'll be in control.

Also, if you really feel you need to look somewhere, ask one of your team-mates first what they can see, they may be able to see the angle better than you could ever see.

L8r man.:D

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Completely lose any sense of rhythm you may have & break up where & when you come out to have a look. A lot of players have a quick look, come back in for about 5 second, look out again in the same place & 5 seconds later do exactly the same again. By the second or third time, someone will be just sitting there waiting for you to have a peek aiming at exactly where you're coming out & ready for when. Go high, go low, change sides, break up the intervals between looks.

And beware! Just 'cause the firing stops on that side of the bunker don't assume that your opposition's attention is elsewhere straight away - give them a few moments more & then try looking out the other side first.

Philip

Whip it out..
Mar 24, 2002
Ellesmere Port
Thanks Guys

I will try these tips out at our first tourny on sunday :D :D :D I'll go write these on my jersey now :p Anyway, thanks again and see some of you then, hope fully :)

-Philip