Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK Legal Tank?

Dec 7, 2012
I can't see a Pi mark, which makes me wonder, but it does quote a standard for:
Specification and test methods -- Part 2: Fully wrapped fibre reinforced composite gas cylinders with load-sharing metal liners

I believe the tank was probably produced by a company called: Advanced Material Systems based in Taiwan,

http://www.amsys.com.tw/en/products/Pneumatic-Tools-and-Sports.htm

Their quality certifications seem to check out. But im still worried by it not having a Pi mark. Any advice please?

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2012
Thanks for that. I was pretty sure the ISO certification was legit, but i've not come across the marking before. Wasn't sure if sites would fill it based on that. Thanks for laying that to rest.

Cheers

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
I asked Steve Bull about this today as i'd never heard of this ISO Certification and he said if the bottle doesn't have the pi mark it's not legal.

Dec 7, 2012
Ok, i spent some time today checking the UK Government HSE websites researching standards and the like:

The ISO 111192 certification is recognised by the UK government and legitimate from everything i can find.
It was last updated by ISO (International Standards organisation) in 2012 which is a revision of the original 2002 version. It is an international standard and its marking supersedes the Pi marking because it makes it legal not just in the UK but also in the USA superseding the DOT mark and in Canada superseding the TP mark.

This standard also removes the 15 year maximum life useage of carbon fiber wrapped tanks which is why you will see no final date the tank above, just a last test date. This makes them very similar to the design of Steelies.

Relevent links:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/stdcurr.htm

Approved Design Standards & Specifications (March 2005)
Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2004 (the Carriage Regulations)

Section:
UN Certified cylinders
Design, construction , and initial inspection and test of UN certified cylinders

ISO 11119-2: 2002 Gas cylinders of composite construction - Specification and test methods - Part 2: Fully wrapped fibre reinforced composite gas cylinders with load-sharing metal liners.

NOTE 1: In the above referenced standards composite cylinders shall be designed for unlimited service life.

NOTE 2: After the first 15 years of service, composite cylinders manufactured according to these standards may be approved for extended service by the competent authority which was responsible for the original approval of the cylinders and which will base its decision on the test information supplied by the manufacturer or owner or user.

I dont think my last tank had a Pi mark either it was certified:
HSE-AL-FW2 Specification for fully wrapped carbon composite cylinders
which i believe came well before the use of the Pi mark, and though now obsolete can still be found on the Government HSE website and is still UK legal.

Which can be found under the section:
Obsolete standards formerly approved under the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (Classification, Packaging and Labelling) and Use of Transportable Pressure Receptacles Regulations 1996 (CDGCPL2 Regulations as amended)

The following standards and specifications were previously approved by the Health and Safety Executive under Schedule 8 of CDGCPL2 for use in Great Britain only

The standards and specifications are now obsolete. Transportable pressure equipment may no longer be manufactured to these obsolete standards and specifications. However, transportable pressure equipment made to these standards may continue to be used if it is safe, suitable and has been examined at appropriate intervals by a competent person in accordance with CDGCPL2 prior to 10 May 2004 or the Carriage Regulations on or after 10 May 2004.

Dec 7, 2012
I'm fairly certain this tank was manufactured by AMS in Taiwan, you can see their products and certifications here:
http://www.amsys.com.tw/en/products/Pneumatic-Tools-and-Sports.htm

AMS Global Cylinder®

• One cylinder certified for three regions/countries
  • Cylinders are manufactured in according with ISO standards
  • Aluminum cylinders are manufactured in according with ISO 7866
  • Composite cylinders are manufactured in according with ISO 11119-2
  • USA:UN-USA
  • Canada:Equivalency Certificates
  • Europe:UN,π
  • Other countries on request
This checks out with the information i've gotten from the UK Gov HSE website.

Copy of their TPED certificate is here:
http://www.amsys.com.tw/images_share/APRAGAZ.jpg

Shows they conform to the new 10/35/EU Directive which replaces the old outdated 99/36/EC Directive and allows them to mark their bottles with PI (which they only do for their EU only tanks - not their GC (Global Cylinder) multi certified tanks)

You can also find copies of their DOT and TC certificates here:
http://www.amsys.com.tw/en/quality/quality.htm

Cheers

Last edited:

NitroBall

SandStorm
Feb 20, 2006
Derby
Is this tank made specifically for paintball and are they sold here in the UK ?

I am a little confused of the life of bottle, as the above comments suggest there is no final date.
How and where would you have the bottle re-tested ?

Dec 7, 2012
So far as i know the tank is manufactured specifically for paintball. I assume they are sold here in the UK, though it will be through an independent distributor / retailer as AMS are manufacturers only.

Lifted From ISO 11119-2:

Evaluation of conformity is required to be performed in accordance with the relevant regulations of the country(ies)
where the cylinders are used. In order to ensure that the cylinders conform to this part of ISO 11119, they shall be
subject to inspection and testing in accordance with clauses 6, 7, 8 and 9 by an authorized inspection body
(hereafter referred to as "the inspector") recognized in the country(ies) of use. The inspector shall be competent for
the inspection of cylinders.

SO they would need retesting every 5 years as per every other tank because they have to conform to the same conditions as the TPED Pi for use in the UK. The ISO certification just means they can be used tri country. Any hydrostatic tank testing place like HPAC should be able to test them.

Copy of ISO 111192-2 is here:
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/cfr/ibr/004/iso.11119-2.2002.pdf

Regards the final date, even though the ISO standard can allow for recertification after the 15 year life span, since the tank must conform to the rules for country of use, i would say that the tank becomes unusable in the UK as per TPED Pi regulations. So final for use in the UK would be 2027/02 - 15 years after the born date.

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
I would suggest you get in touch with Steve Bull UKPSF with this information and see what he has to say. If you attend any event that is UKPSF accredited/sanctioned and your bottle is checked then it will be rejected without a Pi mark untill told otherwise by the UKPSF. Tri certified cylinders have been around for awhile now but they have all 3 of the relevant markings on the label, DOT, TC and Pi mark.