• Clint Moore

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Jason Wheeler

Votes: 18 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

Jeff Abbott - Dye

If that is your definition of Pro, I have no issue with that.
I'm ol' skool so Pro means Professional

Worldwide, but not at UK level
www.dyeprecision.com

This site is available to UK residents and you will find a lot of UK "Pro" players used in the advertising of the product.

If you are ol' skool, please name me some old skool Pro players that did nothing but play paintball for money?

Paintball players at the top level are more professional now than they ever have been.

keka

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
www.dyeprecision.com

This site is available to UK residents and you will find a lot of UK "Pro" players used in the advertising of the product.
No, what you will find is London Nexus players on the UK site. Nexus being a Dye sponsored and owned team. From what I remember its a grand total of 4 players on that site. Go to the Eclipse site and look at the catalogue and you have a variety of Eclipse sponsored teams players. (Usually the prettiest....which begs the question of what is Junior Brown doing in there....kidding hehe)

Go to WDP and you have Joy, specifically Maximus plastered all over their site. Empire have LA Infamous. What none of them have is "the" best players, just their sponsored teams and players, their effective ambassadors.

Lets take Jay Ford for an example.....nice guy, total nutter, drives a ghey car, (IMHO,) and I had my first ever supair training against him when I first started. His photo's have been in PBUK, Faceful, and PGI previously. Is he on the Empire website ? No, because Empire choose to focus on their US Market. Is he on the WDP website (Tigers shoot Angel A1's now) no as WDP choose to focus on their top International team (and frankly who wouldn't, Joy are great.) Jay is a great player, plays in the SPL where he's happy, but he's not going to get the advertising that Nexus or Joy or other players will. That does not detract from his playing ability one iota though, and the same goes for any of the other players who aren't deemed to be "pro" just because they don't play in the CPL !!

ItchyTFN

Feb 14, 2007
No, what you will find is London Nexus players on the UK site. Nexus being a Dye sponsored and owned team. From what I remember its a grand total of 4 players on that site. Go to the Eclipse site and look at the catalogue and you have a variety of Eclipse sponsored teams players. (Usually the prettiest....which begs the question of what is Junior Brown doing in there....kidding hehe)

Go to WDP and you have Joy, specifically Maximus plastered all over their site. Empire have LA Infamous. What none of them have is "the" best players, just their sponsored teams and players, their effective ambassadors.

Lets take Jay Ford for an example.....nice guy, total nutter, drives a ghey car, (IMHO,) and I had my first ever supair training against him when I first started. His photo's have been in PBUK, Faceful, and PGI previously. Is he on the Empire website ? No, because Empire choose to focus on their US Market. Is he on the WDP website (Tigers shoot Angel A1's now) no as WDP choose to focus on their top International team (and frankly who wouldn't, Joy are great.) Jay is a great player, plays in the SPL where he's happy, but he's not going to get the advertising that Nexus or Joy or other players will. That does not detract from his playing ability one iota though, and the same goes for any of the other players who aren't deemed to be "pro" just because they don't play in the CPL !!
You are stating the obvious in most of your post, i don't get your point? You obviously have a hard on for Jay which is cool, he's a dapper chap by all accounts, but that doesnt make him a marketable player, yet.

Props to Dye for using UK players on their European site, same to Eclipse for promoting English players that are well known. Junior Brown is obviously doing very well for himself and deserves to be promoted as such. What is the point of companies using Jay in their advertising when Jay is mostly unknown everywhere bar the south of england?
This is all irrelevant to the topic anyway..
I think ultimately you cant judge people to be the best if they don't consistantly compete against the best (all relative ofcourse, i.e in Europe)

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
You are stating the obvious in most of your post, i don't get your point? You obviously have a hard on for Jay which is cool, he's a dapper chap by all accounts, but that doesnt make him a marketable player, yet.

Props to Dye for using UK players on their European site, same to Eclipse for promoting English players that are well known. Junior Brown is obviously doing very well for himself and deserves to be promoted as such. What is the point of companies using Jay in their advertising when Jay is mostly unknown everywhere bar the south of england?
This is all irrelevant to the topic anyway..
I think ultimately you cant judge people to be the best if they don't consistantly compete against the best (all relative ofcourse, i.e in Europe)
I've used Jay as an example for two reasons:

1. I know him better than the rest of the options available
2. Several people seem to take issue with him and other players being in the SPL or lower, rather than a "proper pro" and I disagree with that, as Im sure others will as well.

Yes a lot of what I put is blindingly obvious, however it still needed to be stated as some people seem to not see it still. (tuesday morning most people still haven't woken up yet....me included)

As you stated Jay is relatively unknown except for the South of England but the same could be said for a lot of players. A lot of REALLY GOOD players. Who would know Ollie Lang if he weren't the poster boy for Dye. Would you know who LB Fow was if it weren't for Empire advertising him. The same goes for a lot of good players and teams. They are at the top and get the advertising and are known. The non-US teams have a much harder time getting their names and faces known because the focus is on the US market. Nexus are an exception to this as they are the UK/European equivalent poster boys, comparable to the Ironmen in the US. (No Im not comparing their ability but the advertising for them that Dye provides.) Most teams don't even have websites or post their rosters. This isn't premiership Football after all. Paintballers don't get in to the newspapers and on tv like the overpaid prima donna's of Football. Ask me a question about a Southern Team and I can probably answer it. Ask me or most people in the South a question on a Northern team and we'll shrug and mumble "no idea" at you. Nothing wrong with that. In fact ask me a football related question and you'll get the same shrug and "no idea" mumbled at you.

Back to Jay again, a lot of people on the forums mention players up north and assume those of us down south have a clue who you are referring to. Sure if you've played against them or follow the northern teams avidly or you've just been around long enough you will, same goes if you flip it in reverse. North of the country players aren't likely to know who is on the London Tigers or have trained with them or seen them play unless they've attended a Mills event, and even then a northern player is more likely to watch the Northern teams or the big "pro" teams.

So you don't know Jay or Player X or Player Y, etc, etc. Just because you don't know them and they don't play on a CPL team doesn't mean that they aren't a good player. And as has been stated its the PGI Forums members opinions and evidentially a lot of people feel that Jay is a ruddy good player as he's currently sat in second place. :)

As for my state of erectness with regards to Mr Ford, I have never engaged in bum fun with him. Only because I've run out of rhypnol ;)

J

Jeff Abbott - Dye

So you don't know Jay or Player X or Player Y, etc, etc. Just because you don't know them and they don't play on a CPL team doesn't mean that they aren't a good player. And as has been stated its the PGI Forums members opinions and evidentially a lot of people feel that Jay is a ruddy good player as he's currently sat in second place. :)
The poll is asking for votes on the best player....not who you regard to be a good player or a "ruddy good player"

As for poster boys.... I think you will find that the quality of players created the need for posters. I doubt having his face on a poster made Ollie a better player. :confused: He got a poster because he made himself a great player.

Ollie is regarded by some to be the best but Ollie himself rates Ryan Greenspan as the best player at the moment. Why? 'cos Ollis has played with and against the best and has the experience on which to base his judgment.

Unless you have played "Pro" against the best, you are in no position to comment on the validity of a "Pro" players opinion on who is the best. I can guarantee, that if you asked the top 10 Pro players in the UK (i.e the top 10 players in Nexus and Shock) who their pick was, Jay Ford, as good as he may be, would not be on the list.

keka

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
The poll is asking for votes on the best player....not who you regard to be a good player or a "ruddy good player"
Now you are just splitting hairs over my preference to use the word good over best, and you are taking it out of context.

Unless you have played "Pro" against the best, you are in no position to comment on the validity of a "Pro" players opinion on who is the best. I can guarantee, that if you asked the top 10 Pro players in the UK (i.e the top 10 players in Nexus and Shock) who their pick was, Jay Ford, as good as he may be, would not be on the list.

keka
We aren't asking the "pro's" their opinion, (and lets be honest none of them actually fit the dictionary definition for a Pro player) then what is the point of requesting the viewpoints of the mere mortals of the forums when as you say only the "pro's" are permitted to give their opinion ? What you are proposing is an elitist opinion on who is the best. "You are only cool if we say you are cool" kind of comment.

And to add to that, how many "pro" teams do we have in the UK ?? Not many. A select number of teams with a limited number of places, which means that plenty of players who are capable of competing for the position of best player are not in the CPL. Hell some people could still be playing KOTH for all we know.

It doesn't matter if its Jay Ford, or any other player, its not the "pro's" opinion, its the forum members opinion.

Dskize

I Would
Dec 6, 2004
Duntryin
I have to agree that the top level ' Players player' would be pretty much right as far as a realistic choice and I would take into account Div 1, SPL and CPL when polling for educated opinions.

However this poll is, and always was, nothing more than a p8ntballer popularity contest and I doubt half of the people voting have ever seen some of these people play, I know I haven't.

And it's Dan Maskell by the way ,just so as you know, he's been on the telly and everything.

JF21

May 4, 2007
Just for the record, I don’t think I deserve to be in this poll and don’t think I deserved to be in the preliminary one either. The people who are voting for me are obviously either friends/people who haven’t seen the others play/ or are just doing it for a joke.

I wasn’t going to bother posting as it’s a meaningless vote but some quite crazy examples using my name have been issued and it all seems to have entered fantasy land I don’t agree with anything that has been written on my behalf, I openly admit that all the players on that list are far better than me (Personally I would choose either Clint or Colby but im not in a position to judge as I haven’t seen the northern players play that often.) If anything people voting for me in this is going to have negative reflections on me as it could get peoples backs are or even worse make them think I believe the hype
I just want to play paintball