Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What do I do?

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
There was a guy in front of me at the cashpoint in town. He goes, so I go up and try to put my card in. It normally takes a few seconds or so between people, so I daydream for a bit. I then think "Man, this is taking a long time", so I look down at the screen, which says "choose your transaction, cash, ballance, blah".
My first thought is "Do I have to choose first now, before my card goes in?" So I hit cash withdrawal. It then asks me how much. So I think "Hang on, he's left his card in here" so I hit £100. The machine spits out £100 and his card. I look round and he's gone, driving off around the corner.
So I then do my transaction as I would normally. I take his £100 to the police station, and tell them what's happened. They tell me to contact the bank. So what do I do now? I have a free £100. Is they guy dodgy, I mean, it's a bit of a stupid/dodgy mistake to make, was he running off or something like he had stolen card? I rather stupidly used the cashpoint straight after him, so I'll be on camera, and contactable if they need to. But do I keep the cash, wait for a month then spend it? Do I take it to the bank (not really my job)...

What do you reckon?

G

Gassy

Send the cash to Breakwell as he has a really good relationship with the police and he could go hand it in.

Reactions: ian_posh

ian_posh

TEAM DOMINATION
Jun 9, 2010
Did you mention to the police that you drew out the £100?

If so i would have thought they would have taken the cash with the card from you?
I'd leave it a couple of weeks and if you've had no contact, keep it!

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
Not handing it in is technically theft. Also for peace of mind and not worrying about the bank coming back after the money you would be as well just handing it in to the bank on Monday morning.

I've left cash hanging out of a machine in the past and I'm not dodgy, no sirree not at all. ; ) So the guy might well be a fine upstanding member of society. Kind to animals and children and all that. Or he may be a total tool. You'll never know.

In the end it's up to you but I know what I'd do. If it was £100 found in the street that would be a different matter. Even though it is still technically theft.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Take it to the bank and explain the situation.

Then if the guy was dodgy and backed out of using a stolen card, or any such similar scenario, the card and money get returned to their rightful owner.

That's what I'd do, anyway.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
I'd kinda like a scenario where I get to keep the £100...

Got my eyes on some new wheels, ya know...

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
hey dude i'm a law student and for the UK taking anything the owner did not actually intend to give up is theft (including lost property). like you said you will be on camera so if he comes looking for it, this will bite you in the ass and you could get done for theft. like niallist said you could probably get away with it on the street if thats what you'd want to do, but taking it straight from the cash machine could turn sour (up to yourself if you want to risk it for a biscuit :p)

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
I know that, but I don't reckon it's at all likely to come back on me.

Anybody else surprised at the massive dickheadedness of his mistake?

Stan

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I'd kinda like a scenario where I get to keep the £100...

Got my eyes on some new wheels, ya know...
Compose a letter to the Card Holder and take it to a branch of whichever bank it's from. Say to the card holder what happened and that the police have his card but you have the £100. Give him a way of contacting you to retrieve the cash and hopefully he'll be so grateful he'll give you a reward...

Only thing i can think of that is vaguely legal.

To be honest, i think you should just hand the money into the Bank as directed by the Police.

Impulse raider

RAMPAGE/SNATCH
Jun 4, 2008
HAMPSHIRE
I would have hit Other amount and typed in for more funds.. :D

Simple answer to it is take it into the bank of the nominated card and they will be able to find the customer and reunite him back with his card and the £100 cash you deducted from his account..