Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What is the right number of tournaments to play in a year...

Russell Smith

The Paintball Association
Let me first explain why I am asking.

Paintball does and is attracting new players at a good rate but the players base is slowly decreasing, why?

I believe we are playing to much, new players come into the game and perhaps the second gun they buy is a top line marker at or near full price cost, they then also purchase all the other stuff team players need.

So gun bag, playing top, goggles, gloves, pants, pants, hoppers, spare batteries and all the other stuff you need to have a good (or bad) day and to look like the rest of your team.

You then commit to play an event with your team mates and possibly think this is something you will do forever.
So you have spent you first student loan on kit and your first few tournaments - time for phase two.

The team then agree to playing a full series and the new player is encouraged to commit with them and he eagerly agrees.

Then the realism of tournament paintball begins to take hold every month you are paying out all your spare cash and then some to keep playing with your mates, gone are the weekends out with your friends and you start spending your free time at paintball shops where you buy other over priced stuff you don't need and can not afford to enhance the look (but not the performance) of your kit.
You spend most of your time working to finance your paintball fix (I know a student who feeds himself quite well on a fiver a week just so he can put money aside for paintball) and spend evenings holding your gun annoying your partners and family with the incessant clicking of the trigger while they are watching Coronation st.
Every month you go to the tournament and spend all the money you have saved on the entry fee and paint.
At the end of the event you tell each other it was great because you do not want to admit to yourself you have just wasted your money.
Your non paintball mates stop calling you and your computer has shortcuts to this and other paintball sites on the desktop and they are the first thing you click when you turn it on.
This continues till you come to your senses, and realise there is more to life than paintball, girls, holidays, ect ect, you still want to play paintball but can not afford it and pride tells you to retire instead of taking some time off.
So we get a player, exploit them for a few years, they then sell all their kit off cheap to recoup some cash to pay their debts and we lose them, and we lost them because we are greedy and not looking at the bigger picture.
We must stop culling our future and let these new players develop within there own financial means.

How.
We have to stop getting teams to commit to more they can afford per year, the players who can afford it can find a game if they wish but the players who struggle to finance their game are given a chance to save.
I will never ask a team to commit to more than six events a year and I am sure the players will benefit.
It is not just playing the events it is the training that is beneficial to you that is not done because you are committed to playing and paying somthing else.
If we all work together and not be individually greedy everyone will benefit.
Think about it, players instead of staying in the game a couple of years may stay customers for many more and that in itself can only be good for paintball.

Russ

KitsuneAndy

Platinum Member
We committed to the whole of the UK Masters 5 man series this year. I've struggled to pay for some of the rounds and I work full time. No idea how a student can afford to do it.

Isn't it more of a problem that we are attracting the wrong people? It's not a hobby that a student can afford. (and by afford I mean, comfortably pay all of their bills etc and have enough left over for paintball)

axess

Ir3 not Ion
Jan 22, 2007
kenilworth
isn't the larger problem the one you identified first Russell that there is too greater emphasis on getting the latest and most expencive kit. obviously playing too much costs to, but does it really make sense to buy things like 07 egos, that are in effect ( excuse the terminology) international standard markers, when you are playing low level domestic tournies? (not trying to offend anyone who does own an 07 ego and plays low level domestic tournies:p) . as you say, maybe the emphasis needs to move from best kit, go play tournies. to start small and train, then build up once you know you want to and are able to play regularly enough to commit to tournies.

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
the sound of a few tournies a year rather than loads is appealing.

however, i believe it would have to be more than just a tourny, it would have to better than the standard. Not so much a show as previous threads have suggested but just better than the ordinary. If that means paying slightly more then so be it - i would prefer to pay a bit more say around the £100 mark (probably more like £120 or more if we are being realistic) 4-5 times a year rather than £70ish 7-8 times a year. But then who wouldnt?

this would leave more time to train and get better, therefore benefitting more from each tourny, rather than what seems to be happening at the moment which is organising training around different events. It would also however mean more money spare to train, so it would work in a cycle.

and if we are being highly optimistic then it would mean that more uk teams would be in a position to compete at a bigger level, get more sponsorship deals etc etc etc and who knows what could happen:rolleyes:

rusty56

cover your eyes and run
Feb 21, 2007
UK , Nottingham
100% agree i am a student and can just make it buy with having a paintball life style but i sudenly see all my team mates go crazy and rush to get the new 07 kit and use the words "its faster" to justify why they went out of there way to get it even though we are capped at 15bps anyway i think people get the new kit because it instals confidence just having newer more shiny kit than the other guy, this and all the top players have the same kit as you :eek: but you dont think how you could put that money to better use like paint/ training.
i think new players just need to take it one step at a time and try not get caught up in the rush for all the latest kit, and in the long run they will last longer, become better players and the team will go further.

jack

Rider

scottishwarriors.co.uk
there is no reason not to have more frequent and less frequent formats.
say for example a series with one game per quarter, another with one a month over the 8 months (in thoery!) of decent weather, or another that is bimonthly.

this would give teams a choice as to how much they can commit. each series would need to have soemthing different to offer in terms of expenditure vs. reward.

example:

series of 4 games - more frequent rewards, but all of lower "value"
series of 8 games - less frequent rewards, but higher overall "value"

value in sense of whatever's appropriate - cash/kit/paint/any/all aforementioned.

just 2 secs. thought while cleaning my whiteboard in preparation for teaching tomorrw - end of hols - i hate it....

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
there are at least 4 series

midland masters
pa
nspl
koth (or is that part of nspl - or is it proto koth)

but
then there is genesis and ironman - both woodland series however