Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Whatever happened to the Mayhem Speedball event?

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
I remember reading years ago about a 7 man speedball event that took place in the UK somewhere. I can go get the old mags again and find out where. I just know "Barts Stud Squad" used to win it all the time. Is this event in existance still?

-Tyger

Duncster

uber-spect8or!
Jul 7, 2001
Kettering
Visit site
I dunno about that... Terry showed me a video of the event which, judging by the dodgy mullets and rediculously long markers, took place about 12 years ago!!!!..... I think it was during the time of the Interceptors....or was it the Eagles...can't remember!!

Anyway, I couldn't believe how different it all was!!! A field no bigger than a 7 man airball field where the whole squad of 10 players broke out, slam-firing their pumps like crazy, and walked bolt upright all the way to their primaries!! You simply couldn't get away with that these days!!!

It kinda drives it home as to how far this sport has progressed.

....Although I'm afraid I can't share any nostalgia you may be feeling, as I joined the scene at about the time Sup'air was launched.....

Dunc.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Well I think I can confirm something, there was no Mayhem Speedball event, there was a Mayhem championships that has now been integrated into the Millennium and is this year being held in Amsterdam and run by the same people who had run Mayhem over the years in the UK.

Now the speedball event Tyger may have been referring to was Mick Holdaway's event held at Maidenhead up until about 92 or 93.
This had tyres at one end and drums at the other, one field only and about 40 yds long witha small pond in the middle with a bell on a small isalnd that had to be rung on completion of the game.
Barts did in fact used to win it but only with a bit of , how shall we say it, 'help' but that was an era ago.

The only other event it could possibly be were the groundbreaking Hyperball events staged by WDP but I think Tyger may have well been aware of these in their own right and thus not be confusing it with a 'Mayhem Speedball event' as he puts it.
Hope this was of some help .

Robbo

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Thank ye Pete!

I was thinking of the Maidenhead event then. Why did I think that was a Mayhem event?

I'm just going through a lot of old stuff here, and that was on my mind. Does the site still exist? They had solved a few intresting problems. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think anyone would play it now a days. a pond of water and electros? HA!

Thanks Pete!

-Tyger