Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

why should i avoid stako bottles??

paintball_crazy

I said lizard, not wizard
Sep 10, 2008
nottingham
kk

well from what i've read,the main problem with the stako's, supposedly is there regs.

my bottles on an sp micro max-flo reg,

should i be worried or relieved??

Skeet

Platinum Member
I I calm down dear! I'm pretty sure if you read correctly I did state tht I was unsure, hence the correct me part!

Now I know I got it wrong ok, but I read tht they aint D.O.T approved so they arnt recomended.

There was no need to take a fit over a conversation of a bottle! I believe tht when you said its slanderouse took things a bit too far
Also, if you are saying that they aren't DOT approved, can I assume that you are in America?

If so, these bottles are actually tested to a standard that is even higher than BS/Pi, which are both higher than DOT, as far as I am aware.

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk
Stako are very touchy over what people say about their bottles
So far nothing has been proven against them and yet they still get a lot of flack
I have never bought and probably never will buy a Stako, but in the interest of fairness
I must defend them against hearsay and gossip.
Slanderous may be a strong word to use but it is correct as you did say that they were not legal and did not meet standards, which is certainly untrue in the UK and Europe

Point of note:- As at beginning of 2008, Stako, being a Polish company, was concentrating on the UK market and had not even applied for DOT certification

Seany

www.northernquarterpb.com
Mar 19, 2007
Northern Quarter
www.corruptedpb.com
my stako has never blew up and i doubt it ever will tbh, nige was a very unlucky chap with his.... and from what i have read about the event it was neither a user error or a faulty bottle, it was oil in the fill rig if i remember correctly

Skeet

Platinum Member
my stako has never blew up and i doubt it ever will tbh, nige was a very unlucky chap with his.... and from what i have read about the event it was neither a user error or a faulty bottle, it was oil in the fill rig if i remember correctly
I rekon it's been oil related on all of them. But I think that the problem, is that the Stako can't handle this kind of detonation as well as other, heavier bottles.

Something to do with the liner they use, which makes it so light.

So, not really their fault as such.

Lovetone

Peter Pan of Paintball
Feb 25, 2005
Manchestoh
www.myspace.com
Ack what a load of heresay and codswallop from most people here.

All HP air systems are dangerous, so go get some CO2 and leave the air systems to people who are responsible and do their research.
Id guess 99.999999999 stakos are 100% fine.
And I'd stake a decent wager the incidents with them werent a fault of the bottle itself.

Just dont flash fill them - same as ANY HP AIR BOTTLE TBH and use a high quality reg, at a high quality, well maintained fill rig to minimise any risk.

Even with the above standards in place, accidents will still happen with any air system on any fill rig, if noobs put oil near their air systems.

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Oil contamination and "flash filling" will lead to a potential fire inside all bottles, this phenomenon is not unique to Stakos.

However, the Stako is, from concept, a lightweight pressure vessel with a thermoplastic liner rather than a alumimium alloy one, therefore there is the potential for this to catch alight if filled under less than ideal conditions.

As far as I can ascertain, the reported Stako failure incidents have involved the regulator separating from the bottle, indicating a weak regulator/bottle interface, this quite possibly more a weakness in the regulator material or manufactureing process rather than the bottle itself.

There was the scare over air leaking from the outer casing, this explained as being due to contraction of an empty liner and the subsequent expansion on filling forcing trapped air out of the composite material.

There have been many improvements made in the supply of high presure fills at sites and tournaments etc. There is still the potential for the inexperienced, unaware or uncautious user to flash fill, especially if filling from an unregulated source such as a bulk tank/dive bottle etc.

That all said, many are wary of those using/filling Stakos and they are certainly less popular than they were.

evoonline

CPPS Referee 4 Life.
Feb 14, 2007
Rugeley, Staffordshire
ive owned a stako in the past and it worked without fault. as said i doubt you'll blow up but like anything which could be considered dangerous whether it be filling a stako or fighting a lion :) caution is best used :) use your brain and you'll be fine ;)