Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Will a foreign team ever win in tha US?

TJ 2

Sep 9, 2001
Visit site
As predicted by lil ol moi, Team USA rocked tha house to win X-Ball...yet not without some controversy. Both Sweden and France had major issues with the refs giving a lil too much love to tha US - something that alledgedly swung tha semi game away from Sweden and to Bobby's boys.

So is it just standard loser's bitching and moaning, or is it tha case - as has been suggested before - that a foreign team will simply never win in tha US cos some of my countrymen cannot stand tha thought of that happening and will do whatever it takes to make sure any and all trophies stay in America?

There you go, nice gentle start to the week...

Darkwerks

Oct 27, 2001
London
Visit site
Reports on Warpig and Paintball.com suggest the reffing has been Septic biased. No change there then.:rolleyes: Will a foreign team ever win? Sure, let the Sweden team ref for against France vs USA ;)
It almost certainly helped the Seps that they had thier heads around the concept of 'special teams' and 'pit crews'

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Why did it have to be yank refs? Surely next time round we can all contribute to take the Danes over there to ref, or some other recognised team/country.

While the yanks ref, and the yanks win you will always have this 'perception'.

From Warpig...

Not all of the X-Ball teams were quite as pleased with how things were going, though they expressed enthusiasm for the format. Several of the European teams felt the reffing left something to be desired. England's coach Pete Robinson, best known for his years playing on the All Americans and Aftershock, as well as writing for Paintball Games International, thought the reffing was not as strict as it should have been. He was frustrated by some of the US players that were either talking back to the refs, or overshooting the other teams, and getting by with it.

From tha sounds of Warpig and Paintball.com, Magued is less than happy with tha US-Sweden game but dealt with the situation in a really cool way...be interesting to see what Robo and Mr Big have to say about it.

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
It sounds like the concept was an amazing success, with lots of people stating that they preferred watching the x-ball to the other games that were going on! :D Allelulah.

I think a group of international refs for such a major format might be a sensible choice.

Wasn't there a Brit , Graham Easton, on the crew? Actually maybe he now counts as Septic... :)

A lot of the reports are saying that the crowds were American biased, which is to be expected, and look at how we support the Euro's when they play yanks over here...

[tjcontroversialmode]Losers will always bitch and moan. Nike says it best with 'the losers go home'[/tjcontroversialmode]

Is pulling out of a game a 'cool way' to deal with issues? It's a very 'paintball'way to do something. But ultimately the spectators and sponsors lose out so it might not be that good for the sport...

manike

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Originally posted by manike

Is pulling out of a game a 'cool way' to deal with issues? It's a very 'paintball'way to do something. But ultimately the spectators and sponsors lose out so it might not be that good for the sport...

manike
Hmmm.... I can indeed imagine that certain sponsors, particularly those that staged this event (Richmond), might by mightily pissed because of that.

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
You can only do so much to prevent players playing on, at the end of the day most know that they are only 'bending' the rules and good players know where the fine line is, 'enough to get away with'. If the judges are over stricked you get harsh, unfair calls being made and even then many players will push the limits to win a game.
The judges are only human, Peters team and the Russians went out there believing that they could win this event fairly but the attitudes of certain opposition players clearly made this impossible, and when the **** hits the fan, judges make quick decisions.....what else do you do when multiple players are running up the field bunkering the heck out of everything in sight?
I know for sure that theres no way i'd have liked to marshal that event and if everyone keeps coming down on the judges, who have probably worked their asses off, then knowbody will want to judge.
The bottom line is the players are the problem and the solution..........but why change your style and attitude when you can hold up a trophy at the end of the day?

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by rancid
Further to a thread of yesteryear, I've got to disagree on this one Matski me old chum. In no other sport is it down to the players to control themselves.
You know I'm starting to completely agree with this now...

But we need more, and better, judging staff. And people with brains and understanding overseeing it all to ensure it's done right and fair.

manike

Slackbrother

Aug 13, 2001
Northpole
reffing

i cant think of any other international sport event where there are refs coming from the same country as one of the finalists.
good luck with that, paintball. :)

Sonny Cerveza