Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Works or Dark AutoCocker

-H-

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
Hello All,
I am trying to decide on which one to get. A works autococker or a dark autococker. Any suggestions? Or should I go after a different kind.

dr.strangelove

PrematurelyPost-Traumatic
Sep 14, 2002
Earth
I know a couple guys who bought works cockers, and they seem to have some, uh, bugs. They're constantly having to fix leaks on 'em. The new Darks look pretty cool, they've got a lot more aftermarket parts than the old ones (of course, the old one's were nothing but stock parts on a milled body, so it wouldn't take much). Look at 'em both and decide what features you like from each of them, and make your decision. Me, I'd probably go for the works.

Dragons' Frontguy

Bling Bling..
Feb 17, 2003
Aalborg Denmark
www.teamdragons.dk
If you believe the hype, you should get the CCM J2 I think it is called, from Chipley Custom Machine. It has been getting awesome reviews in PGI or What Paintballgear, I forget which one. They rate the Chipley as the best made American cocker. The hinge trigger as the best they have used and the craftmanship and finish as perfect!!(check it out) Chipley also makes the Works Cocker.

I would go for the Chipley without doubt. Because of the gripframe, the hammer assembly, the ball detent, the Angel feed neck, the quality and finish. Also ALL parts are made by Chipley. From what I know, the Chipley is also cheaper than The Dark Cocker - Which is as Beaker pointed out, not truely custom.

The Chipley does have a distinct look, if you don't like that, I would go for the Works - for the same reasons as above...

I ordered a gripframe from Chipley for my own Cocker - Great service!!:)

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Forget them both and get a Phase III from Jackal Machine, the custom shop of G3. Unlike the so called "custom" factory guns, they actually are built one by one by the person who's name is on it and tested before they go in your hands. No paid-for loyalty to any brands, either: if it's the best part to go on the gun, it's available to go on there with plenty of choices for the customer to pick from, not whoever's is pulling their strings. Oh, and you can go with single sliding, hinge, or Eblade trigger as you like since the gun is put together as you order it.

Jackal cuts the bodies from solid block instead of existing die cast or molded bodies--Warped says the darks are "Made from 100 percent authentic Bud Orr WORR Game's Cocker bodies" like it's a good thing or something...gee, have people gotten bored out bodies, volumizers, and other LOWER PRESSURE THAN STOCK parts all these years for nothing? On the other hand, with a Minireg, multi bore barrel (you can get the 3 backs in a set) and an Eclipse pivot frame this year's Dark Cocker is considerably more like something you'd actually end up with instead of a glorified STO with $20 more put into it to make you pay $200 more for it like last year's was. The previous years, those that still had single triggers, were more impressive to me, but that's just my opinion on it. The Works is a bit more in the right direction, but again it's a combination of the usual stuff--are there enough formulaic Cockers out there yet or what?

With the EvoX and DYE cockers, sure they're somewhat factory, but they're a combination of different stuff that no others are doing (or at least they did it first). DYE needs to mill their bodies from solid block too and then they'd be PERFECT. Expensive but worth it and yes you can tell the difference.

Dragons' Frontguy

Bling Bling..
Feb 17, 2003
Aalborg Denmark
www.teamdragons.dk
KillerOnion - what you say about Jackal Machine, is exactly true for Chipley as well. Everything exept the timing rod is made by Chipley! - The bodies are also here milled from a solid block. Built and tested by one guy..

My opinion is that if you want to go for a custombuilt cocker and you are not that familiar with the cocker, then all the choices you describe, Killer Onoin, are just confusing. Then you need to consider way to many variables - and you are back to squre one.. why not go for the best complete package? These custom shops have done the hard work for you, and combined or manufactured the best parts to work together for the ultimate machine operating at it's peak - then, in my opinion, you don't need all the options. I think Chipley or Works are good candidates here, from what I know.

Personally I went the other way. I did the research, picked out the parts I wanted, and had them put together by Bad Boyz Toyz. I am very happy with the result, but I don't see this as a solution if you want to buy a finished package that rocks, but don't want all the hard work....

Si.

Old Git.
I have to agree with Brian..

The works and Dark are nice cockers.. but if you want the best it has to be an Evo..

I know personally mine was built to order, tested well before I got it and set up perfectly.. Not a single complaint or problem and the best service I've had from any Marker supplier (and I'm on th 16th Marker now)..

They are far from "factory" built..

Si

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
I stand corrected. I guess what I meant by "factory" which legitimately applies to a lot of Cockers these days I should have said "mainstream brand" in the particular case of the EvoX and Works which are in fact hand built and individually fitted. Other than my Cocker, Jackal, Revenge, and Spanky, the EvoX's trigger is the only one that actually impresses me.