Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball Europe - The Story So Far

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Ok, the continuing saga of X-Ball Europe takes another twist.
Laurent called me yesterday and then subsequently; I had to make a long trans Atlantic call to Renick.
After about two hours of jaw waggling, here is what I think…for what it’s worth.

I honestly think, the proposed format of a six tournament series X-Ball running alongside the existing Millennium circuit, coupled with a requirement to play twice Stateside is unworkable for obvious reasons.
It would mean 8 trips for the Euro teams with a ninth trip to the Word Cup for the top four Euro qualifiers.
That ain't gonna happen.
I talked to Sergei the other night and both he and I and others (inc Magued) agree this is not the way to go especially when you take a look at other problems for the teams, like having to come up with say, 15,000 Euros.

There are two options left, one is that we play the Millennium as it always has been up to the finals where the final four play the X-Ball format to produce a winner.
The second idea is to have one big kick ass X-ball tournament and see how that goes.
There are problems with both of these, not least of which is the political implication of not going whole-heartedly into X-Ball.

Sergei, Laurent, Niall, as well as myself, all think that we need to have some involvement in X-ball but there is no way it's going to happen with the present requirements placed upon us by the US template.
These are tricky times because the political and tournament landscapes have drastically changed with the advent of the NPPL Super 7 Series and what may seem an expedient ducking of a proposed X-Ball commitment can well be seen as an affirmation elsewhere when the reality is completely different.

Laurent has without doubt, the best interests of European paintball as a prime directive and will undoubtedly canvass as much informed opinion as he can before a final decision is to be made.

Inevitably, I think a middle road is going to be navigated, and this road is taken more because of a lack of resources of our top teams than any other reason.

Once again, we’ll have to see what happens :)

Robbo

PS Chris Raehl, stay away from this thread !!
You know nothing of any use here, not that that normally bothers you, but any post you put up on this thread, I will delete !!

Tony Montana

Aug 16, 2002
Visit site
Aww Pete. For Christs sake. If you're scared, just say your scared.

You're better at coming up with excuses than anyone I know.

By the way, do you need a job? You'd fit right in and we could use an insider at P8baller.com on our side for a change.

:D :D :D

Give me a call. I can't get any real information out of anyone else, so I will settle for what you know.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Tony Montana
Aww Pete. For Christs sake. If you're scared, just say your scared.
You're better at coming up with excuses than anyone I know.
By the way, do you need a job? You'd fit right in and we could use an insider at P8baller.com on our side for a change.
:D :D :D
Give me a call. I can't get any real information out of anyone else, so I will settle for what you know.
Scared ??????
Scared??????
U kiddin me ???

We ain't scared of your Yank asses, but I do hear you guys wanna run with 18 man rosters for X-Ball knowing that we could only run with 10, now who's sacred ???
And as for a job, no thanks mate, more than happy where I am :) :)

But u right about the excuses :)
Remember the one about Aftershock in the sun, final game, Vegas, against Rage ?
We shoulda won it but for the frikkin sun !!!!!!!!

I'll call u later m8
Hope, wifey and kiddie are fine :)
Pete

>>>You'd fit right in and we could use an insider at P8baller.com on our side for a change.

PGI and P8ntballer aren't on anyone's side Montana, seriously - when PSP does a bang-up job we say so, and if NPPL falls flat on its face we'll say so too.

On that you have my word.

Davo at work

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
X Ball

Must admit I do like the idea of one kick ass X ball tourney for us Euro's it could be a fatastic event, if not a logistical nightmare!!

It would give us mere mortals a chance to try out what is generally regarded, in some shape or form, the future of paintball without having to fork out thousands. I think you would get a fantastic amount of interest from all over Europe.

I say lets get it on! I can make it next weekend if you are all free :D :D :D but I'll have to be home by 4 ish as my wifes parents are coming.

As a mere mortal

I know that, barring some rich dude realising that I am the best player in existence (given the time, practice, money, best gear, more raw talent...) :D and giving me a squillion quid, I shall never be abel to afford the paint bill of an X-Ball event :mad: :mad: :mad:

But I would love to watch the top Euro teams playing X-Ball, even if it only happened once a year. My suggestion is that it would replace one Milenium event a year, and cycle, that way it would be in England One year, France another, then The Netherlands (all the places I could get to by ferry basicly ;) ) It could be the big showcase event of the year, with extra effort made to get the media interest, better than normal facilities for spectators (inc hotel deals etc).

So, good luck to you guys with whatever you guys come up with, now you have my opinion, so I'm sure life is a lot clearer ;)

Richard

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Originally posted by Robbo
There are two options left, one is that we play the Millennium as it always has been up to the finals where the final four play the X-Ball format to produce a winner.
The second idea is to have one big kick ass X-ball tournament and see how that goes.
There are problems with both of these, not least of which is the political implication of not going whole-heartedly into X-Ball.
As much as I'm risking mslef by asking this, I am asking in all seriousness.

Pete : Why can't Europe run a mirror X-ball fomat, and have a "super-meet" at the cup at the end of the season? Cream of the crop stuff there? HAve an X-ball europe, and the "winner" goes to cup?

Woldn't that be easier and achieve teh desired effect?

-Tyger

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
What's the current vogue on Stateside X-ball anyway?
I keep seeing all kinds of 'latest news' popping up all over the net, including such stories as PSP dumping X-ball altogether. Surely it would be a bit weird if Europe gets all serious about X-ball, only to find out there will be no finals to play at the Cup...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Tyger
As much as I'm risking mslef by asking this, I am asking in all seriousness.
Pete : Why can't Europe run a mirror X-ball fomat, and have a "super-meet" at the cup at the end of the season? Cream of the crop stuff there? HAve an X-ball europe, and the "winner" goes to cup?
Woldn't that be easier and achieve teh desired effect?
-Tyger

Rob, well that is one option, and one that I had not thought of, mainly because all the talk was about 'integration'.
Now if we run a stand-alone series with no Euro team participation in US events and vice versa, then the costs will come down considerably but I do not think they come down enough because the financial dynamics over here with regard to team monies are so different.
We just don't have enough teams with sufficient backing.
The Yanks are putting an awful lot of money into this for their teams; we just don't have those resources.
Even a five grand price tag on entry would see off most teams over here.
I think the promoters have to put their hands in their pockets on this one and not let the teams take on the total financial burden.

So, I dunno, perhaps there is some mileage in what you say, I will call Laurent and put it to him.
Laters
Pete