Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

17yr old min age all well and good.......BUT!!!!

Oct 4, 2001
all over
Visit site
what has happned wit this kid not wearing goggles not good, for the sport, and more importantly the kid himself.

But the idea being banded around that a mimimum age for owning a paintball marker should be 17 i think is WAY outa line.

I am 17 and have been so for 7 months, and if this law/rule was the case then i would have only owned a gun for 7 or less months. However i have been playing paintball since i was 11, and been on the tourney scene as far back as 14. Which also happens to be the age at which i bought my first gun.

Yes i can see the control of markers being an important factor in the future of the sport as it becomes more public but a minimum age of 17 will do more damage to the sport. Young players like myself would not be at the current level of skill and experience had we not started earley.

Now i am not saying that this rule would stop people taking up paintball, no. I am saying that to progress from the woods to the tourney field as i (and 99% of you lot) did you need to own a marker. The fact of the matter is, i have always loved paintball and over my years managed to get a bit good. if the rule were in place i could expect to reach my current level of skill in another 3 or so years.

Personaly i think that this is not the answer...............guys?

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by P8ntball2k
what has happned wit this kid not wearing goggles not good, for the sport, and more importantly the kid himself.

But the idea being banded around that a mimimum age for owning a paintball marker should be 17 i think is WAY outa line.
Well I think you meant to post this as a reply to another thread but I'll reply here

It is the terms of the Firearms Acts that determine the minimum age for purchasing a Paintball Marker and this has always been the case

Buying an Airgun before the age of 17 is illegal. That is not to say that under 17s cannot have their own Paintball gear it is just that their parent or guardian should purchase it and are technically responsible for it (and you)

Hot point thanks for clarifying this and dose the UKPSF have a sign for this because I think all stores should display it if nothing else this will help.

I do strongly belive for many reasons we need a register of markers I am far fromsaying younger players should not be able to shoot their own marker but what I am saying is that their parents should be involved techniaclly wether you like it or not you are still a minor in the eyes of the law and your parents are still to some extent responcible for your actions.

I have a whole squad of junior player and I spent a lot of time talikng to their parents. Also to any one who is planning to buy a gun, as to saftey, ettiquet and promoting a good positive image to the public . We are all homour bound to do this if we stand up and proclaim a love of the sport!

Only a few weeks ago we had a dad thinking he could just buy a few guns and mess about shooting his kids in the garden and this is an adult :eek:

I am sorry but markers guns call them what you like need and deserve to be treated with respect and not every area is suitable for them and nether is every person.

It's far to easy just to walk in off the street and buy them and way to easy for some one to set up a site for that matter money not being an issue.

I do have strong opions on this I do not expect you to share them but at least repsect them.

When I was a kid livng in the counrty a boy in my class a farm lad who you would think should no better perminatly blinded him self with and air riffle.

I live in a town which has like most these days a violent seedy under belly, so every few months we have a shooting most don't even make the news any more. This is not a big deal any more.

I don't expect the goverment to try and work with us on this if it becomes a problem were history we need to protect our self and our sport which is the point hot point and I are both trying to make from our diffrent perspectives.

We are all reaching the same conclstion we need to protect our selfs.

tell me chris did your mum buy your gun or did you unwhittinly break the law?

sparklie

How

Back for good
Jul 1, 2002
Bucks
Right now the age limit is 17 for buying a gn. Well, not many people under 17 could get one anyway as we dont have creditcards. Also becase of ths limit it provides more safty and if your parents are ok with you getting a Pball gun they could buy it for you.

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by SPARKLIE CHICK
Hot point thanks for clarifying this and dose the UKPSF have a sign for this because I think all stores should display it if nothing else this will help.

I do have strong opions on this I do not expect you to share them but at least repsect them.

I don't expect the goverment to try and work with us on this if it becomes a problem were history we need to protect our self and our sport which is the point hot point and I are both trying to make from our diffrent perspectives.
I'll email Bully to find out about signs. I don't deal with the business orientated side of the Federation myself but if we don't I'm sure we could make some up

Your opinions are always highly valued here Sparklie, at least by those who see the big-picture

FYI Sparklie it's "Hotpoint" not "Hot Point". My nickname has nothing to do with particularly hot points of view. I was so named for a kitchen appliance... or rather a story involving one :)

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by How
Right now the age limit is 17 for buying a gn. Well, not many people under 17 could get one anyway as we dont have creditcards. Also becase of ths limit it provides more safty and if your parents are ok with you getting a Pball gun they could buy it for you.
You don't need a credit card to buy a gun! Obviously people buying brand new top of the range tourney markers usually would (though I bought £1k worth of kit in one day using cash a few years back), but a new Inferno, Piranha or Spyder can cost as little as a couple of hundred pounds. Then think about the second hand market, especially when a site is closing down or upgrading it's kit - dirt cheap markers available all the time.

PS - Nice post sparklie!:)

Oct 4, 2001
all over
Visit site
tell me chris did your mum buy your gun or did you unwhittinly break the law?

sparklie [/B]

well actualy, its not only my mum who supports me in paintball, my dad made a rare insertion into the frame for this one.

He drove a me and a friend to planet, where we both bought our first marker, with our own cold hard cash. So i had a parent there at least but i bought it myself but my friend did not have anybody there and he bought it himself too........hmmm

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit
Chris,

did your dad have to sign anything to say he was willing to take resposibility for your actions?

As there is no register of marker owners, I doubt it very much.

And lets be honest, how many big paintball businesses would think - no, this 15 yo kid isn't going to be sold a £100 quid marker, cos he's got no parental consent.

Are they going to think - we'll be helpful now, treat him well, and in a couple of years when he/she's really hooked, they'll come back to us to buy their £1000 top level kit?

I wonder...

(pls note - not saying anything about you or your dad Chris, you seem like a responsible paintballer - just using you as the handy example :) )