Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

A little help on tanks

Ifritus

Dec 14, 2013
Hi there paintballers - I have a little problem that hopefully you can all help with:I am an airsofter... and I am in the process of converting a GBBR (gas blowback rifle) to use HPA... and have found an american site that does a bulld your own rig- the only problem is their tanks are Ninjas. which after researching are not fillable on site in the uk ( I happen to play at Players of war bonnybridge which is next door to Rebellion paintball)
http://www.ampedairsoft.com/product_p/al-rig-fb.htm this is the rig I'll be using with QD fitting on each end and one on each of my magazines.

So my quesiton is... where do I get a tank that is certified for the UK - and what tank is best suited for my purpose - The rig has an inline regulator... so preset tanks are not a problem? I will probably be running it in the 100-120psi range. And of course the big one- will I be able to get it filled at the paintball site next to my airsoft site?

this was the most suitable ninja tank for me: http://www.ampedairsoft.com/product_p/ninjaprogr50slp.htm

mainly due to its size - the pouch I will be carrying it in will need a hole chopped to let the regulator through... but the dimensions of this one are pretty much perfect:

the tank cant be any bigger than 8 3/4 inches high- and a 4 1/2 diameter.

thanks for your time folks- and if I put this in the wrong category feel free to shift i

regards,
Andrew

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
A US cylinder will be no good to you, unless it is marked for multiple countries with the UK Pi mark.
Therefore its simpler to buy in the UK.

You have some options on cylinders, the Ninja example is as Switch described, commonly known as a stumpy or peanut as they are smaller than 'standard' 4500psi cylinders, there are a few such cylinders around.

Before selecting a cylinder refer to your next question on whether you can fill at your local paintball site.
First - do they have air fills? Air is pretty much standard in the own gunner walkon & event world, but sites that purely cater for 'punters' may still use CO2.
Assuming the site runs air and not CO2 (or as well as CO2) then they may be willing to give fills to a non-player. You will have to ask, and will probably have to let you know what you are doing as opposed to being a chav that is after fills so he can shoot up the streets. Site fills are usually free, but as a non player they may charge you something.
Next - what pressure fills they can provide. 3000psi is more commonly available then 4500psi.
If they only provide 3000psi then the £150 spent on a fibre 4500psi cylinder is potentially wasted.

Dive centres may also provide fills, at 3000psi or 4500psi. They may require you to have your own fill rig and will charge per fill. Note that dive centres work in BAR rather than PSI and 'Saturday staff' have been known to overfill 3000psi cylinders due to ingnorance. Make sure it is clear what the cylinder is and the fill you are getting.

The next alternative is a dive cylinder. Get the large cylinder filled at a dive centre, probaly for the same price per fill as a small cylinder, then use your own fill rig to fill your cylinder.

Going back to the choice of cylinder another option is a small 13ci 3000psi cylinder.
The stumpy @ 4500psi will give you 6 times the shots of the 13ci, or at 3000psi it will give your 4 times

http://www.scubatoys.com/paintball/paintballshots.asp

For output pressure the regulator on a paintball cylider could be up to 850psi. But many nowadays run lower in the 600s.
If the rig you will have can cope then any UK paintball cylinder & regulator will be fine, otherwise check with the supplier for the regulator pressure, or for a user rebuildable regulator that can have the output adjusted.

I shall get the tape measure and a couple of cylinders out in a while.

lewis bowden

Dec 13, 2013
crewe
this has made me think to get a fibre wrapped one as i was thinking of getting a steel but makes sense to get a fibre wrapped cheers good thread :)

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Some measurements:
(You're pushing it if your maximum diameter is 4.5" - you don't mean circumference do you?)
Schoolboy error, and I left school nearly 20 years ago

Standard-ish Empire 1.5 litre (91.5 ci) / 4500psi - diameter circumference 14.5", neck height 8.5", full height 12"
Guerrilla stumpy 48ci / 4500psi - diameter circumference 13", neck height 7", full height 9"
Guerrilla 13ci / 3000psi - diameter circumference 6.2", neck height 6", full height 8.5"
Standard Pure energy 48ci / 3000psi - diameter circumference 11.5", neck height 8", full height 11"

What I mean by 'neck height' and 'full height' are the approx height to the regulator and to the top of the regulator, e.g. if you are putting it into a pouch and its OK to have the regulator coming out. If you need it to be fully self contained then you need to add on more for the adaptor screwed onto the regulator.

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
this has made me think to get a fibre wrapped one as i was thinking of getting a steel but makes sense to get a fibre wrapped cheers good thread :)
For paintball purposes, do think hard on choice of cylinder. Fibre wrapped is approx £150, aluminium/steel approx £40
Any cash calculatons on lifetime and fill value for money the fibre loses.
Fibres should be bought for their physical size to ergonomicaly fit you. There is a weight saving on a like for like comparison, but to realy save weight you need the 'Safer' type of cylinder which then costs more £.

Search my posts on the forum and you'll find my opinions on cylinders.
If you are flush for money, do your homework, get hands on and hold some cylinders and will have access to 4500psi fills then go for fibre. If you're not so flush or don't have regular access to 4500psi fills then fibre is a big waste of money that you could be playing with.

Narkadox

The Man With The Golden Gun
Jan 3, 2013
As far as I know the only air bottle you could import from the US and use over here is a Dye Throttle as they're Tri Stamped for Europe, US and Canada.

Ifritus

Dec 14, 2013
Cheers for the replies folks- I'm glad I came here rather than try an Airsoft forum.

For pouch specifics:
Height: 8 1/2"
Length: 4 1/2"
Depth: 4 1/2"

I'm expecting the regulator and neck to be outside the top of the pouch.

As for filling: I will get an update on what rebellion offer .
In the meantime: where is the closest dive shop to Falkirk (Scotland)

In terms of tank material - I'm not really fussed- as long as it fits and works I'm happy