Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Advice on Starting Gear

Jordanwillstrom

May 20, 2013
London
Hi,

I've been a marshaling for a while now, I am thinking about taking paintball up and was wondering what would be a good start in terms of the marker with gas tank and hopper.

I've been looking at an Invert mini or an Ego 6 or 7 but other than that im not really sure.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
hopper pick up a cheap velocity to start off with
2nd hand pm6/7/8 etek mini all around the 100-150 ish mark and all pretty simple to look after
air buy new if possible but get a fibre wrapped tank avoid steel you will only want to change it

Game

Doing men things to men in the woods atm
Nov 21, 2004
Dereham,Norfolk
avoid the pmr's never really got on with them

or if you push the budget you could pick up a dm9 for 180-200 now they are nice

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
With air I'm going to disagree

New prices are approx £30 for 3000psi aluminium/steel or £150 for 4500psi fibre

Unless you are flush save the money for other gear (goggles are most important) and playing

There are benefits with fibre cylinders though:
More air in bigger cylinders even at 3000psi
More air when 4500psi fills are available
They are lighter - but not really as much ligher as people say. Balance is more important, and that means not buying the biggest but the one that ergonomically fits you
They are viable for retesting and using over 15 years
Steel/aluminium cylinders are not usualy viable to retest as they are so cheap, but can be disposed and replaced. You can buy about 7 steel cylinders with the lifetime costs of one fibre cylinder over 15 years. That's 35 years of air, or multiple cylinders at once
Fills depend on where you play, the majority of sites don't have 4500psi fills and the majority of games don't last long enough to empty a cylinder unless you constantly shoot

We have not identified what kind of paintball you play or your style to see whether you need the slight weight saving to be slightly faster, whether you are relatively weak to notice the weight difference
If you are running and diving a lot then also consider bashing you cylinder - knock a steel cylinder and it will take it, chip the fibre wrap and it should be retested - an extra £25 test to the two required for it life

Jordanwillstrom

May 20, 2013
London
Wow that clears up tanks for me! :D
I think I'll stick to steel tanks for my first like you suggested and maybe invest in a fiber tank further down the line.

As for what type of paintball, I would like to play tournament paintball eventually but will be play woods ball in the immediate future, and since I marshal at a site I know the weight of an average 3k fill steel tank, its not heavy :)

Thanks dude!

VelgdranDragal

Apr 18, 2011
Ireland
www.paintballer.ie
I had experience with Etek3 and Drone DX, both are easy to use or look after and never gave me any trouble but might be a bit over your budget or try to get some upgraded Etek2, they're great ones.