Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ancient 7oz bottles

piercee100

Feb 16, 2009
Hi, Just bought a Uni-body phantom (87/88?) and some other ancient playing kit. In the Kit were two 7oz Co2 bottles. Are these still legal to fill?

M600

Sock Hats are Cool!
Jan 4, 2008
anything under 2 inches in diameter doesnt require testing
however if you do see that they are rusted, dented or chipped its not very wise to fill it
i got a 7 oz from 1991 and it works fine and a 3.5 oz from 1987 as well
so really its up to you, post up pics!

piercee100

Feb 16, 2009
They seem in pretty good condition with just a few scratches to the paint. I'm hoping to use them at the big game- One on my Sniper and one on my Phantom if they will fill them!

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8843/dsci0022.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/1699/dsci0016e.jpg

You will have to excuse the SP on/off on here (I was just testing) but I will either be running a 12g changer direct into the main ASA or one of these 7oz bottles.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3161/buddor.jpg

tafan

Mar 16, 2009
I think you be lucky to get em filled mate. Just because the outside of the bottle looks okay whats to say that moisture inside the bottle hasnt corroded it from the inside out?

For the price of a new bottle (£15) is not worthing dying for

your bootles are over 20 years old pal, even the newest cylinders today can get used for 15 years from the originol stamp and only if they been tested every 5 years.

As for the comment about small bottles not needing to be tested this is been rumoured around paintball sites for years but ive NEVER seen any HSE regulations to support that claim and i question if it is true. why would the manufacturers go to the trouble and expence of stamping the cylinder in the first place, they'd be no point?

Now im not saying it true or untrue but make sure that it is officially safe to fill before ramming 1500 psi into it.

Just because "Bazza" and "Del" started this rumour 20 odd years ago it doesn't make it true!!

Paintball dont need another bottle exploding and killing or injuring someone. not for £15

Taf.

Ian Mac

Powerball
Jun 19, 2003
www.camouflagepaintball.co.uk
Aluminium will not rust from water contact :rolleyes: BUT nobody will fill them for you. Its a shame that its nearly impossible to find nice small CO2 tanks anymore. You might be able to get them retested though but it will probably cost more than the tanks are worth.

tafan

Mar 16, 2009
good point but i actually was refering to the brass valve. this could well have corroded in damp conditions making it unsafe, will be more specific in future :)

good to see that we r agreement that the bottle should be considered unsafe until tested,

Taf

M600

Sock Hats are Cool!
Jan 4, 2008
if anything take the valve off, inspect the inside and see whether its good to go or not
valves are easy to replace

piercee100

Feb 16, 2009
Well the idea of the post was to see If I could still use them!

Who or what tests them though? I used to Marshal for Mayhem Southeast and their bottles were (and still are) ancient. Never heard of Tom getting anything tested- ever.

What marks am I looking for? Is their a dot stamp or something? Couldn't I dismantle, paint and polish them- Brand spankin' new Guv honest!

Whats the life of a Co2 bottle? I don't use them very often due to air but I've had bottles hanging around that I bought new 10 years ago... They scrap?

tafan

Mar 16, 2009
Well brass is a strange substance and undergoes a process of "dezincification" at which piont the metal is significantly weaker. in lay mans terms "corrosion". :)

not wanting to start a debate over it. just don't want an perdantic comment to boost confidence in the bottle and as a result be filled.

dezincification is very hard to calcutae as it depends on a huge range of factors such as water purity PH levels, the composition of the brass, how when and where it was manufactured, thread lock if used would have a large impact on the rate of the "corrosion" process.

bottom line, DON'T fill it! Brass DOES "corrode" :eek:

Taf.