Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Ball projection...

Wildcard

Nov 17, 2001
Visit site
I thought that i'd share some of my thoughts with you guys on the debate between accuracy of a cocker vs. an angel or some other electro.

Me and my teammates were practicing against team nasty last sunday, and I had just purchased a Freak Factory Impulse. Well I got shot out because my 1000$ piece of **** gun stopped working for some reason. The player that I shot out came over to me and was watching me shoot my gun, and said "Damn , that thing sure lofts the balls." I shot his Evolution X and I saw what he was talking about.

My FF Impulse Has an Arc to it Its almost like the ball comes out straight and then arcs downward.
My angel Seems to have an arc to it also

When the other player Shot his Cocker I seemed to go Straight and then Drop. We were shooting at the same speed maybe 2-3 fps difference But the arc I had on my gun was totally different to what his gun did.

I had a 14" freak teardrop and he had a 14" also....

Does anyone else notice this between a cocker and an angel? or am i just bull-****ing myself?

Thx
Derrick

Dave S ECI

ECI + HFT
Jul 17, 2001
53rd and 3rd
Visit site
The myth that cockers shoot straighter or further came from the time when cockers did not have ball detents. In order to get any sort of consistant velocity they had to match paint to barrel whereas guns like the mag could rely on their nubbins to provide consistent velocities although a proper fit tightened it up further.

Now if you shoot small bore paint through a large bore barrel u will end up having the balls topspin and fall to the ground faster. A good paint barrel match should see u with identical range and accuracy.

I think the freak factory comes with a 0.693 insert as stock which you will probably find a bit on the large side for most paint nowadays which is heading to the 0.684-0.689 range.

booga

Arthritic Pirate
I have to agree with wildcard, I know it goes against the whole 'every marker shoots the same, its the consistency and paint/barrel match that effects range/trajectory'.
I shoot either an eclipse cocker or impulse and I have noticed the different trajectories.
I havn't yet compared them side by side but I think I'm going to have to now.
The impulse has a total freak so the paint/barrel match is as close as you get, the cockers got an armson SSR, so really the impulse has the better match, however the results tell me differently.

Please no-one take this as a challenge to the laws of physics I, it's just a personal observation.
It's not a 'my gun shoots better/straighter/further than your's' becasue I have both, enjoy playing with both and shoot both of them regularly, I just feel that the cocker shoots with a flatter trajectory.

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by booga
Please no-one take this as a challenge to the laws of physics I, it's just a personal observation
How can any scientist not take that as an affront to physics?

The only way it could have a flatter trajectory over the same distance was if the projectile was flying at a higher velocity. Or if you were creating lift on the projectile via spin. Spinning paintballs tends to make then very innaccurate.

manike

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Bad Dave
The myth that cockers shoot straighter or further came from the time when cockers did not have ball detents. In order to get any sort of consistant velocity they had to match paint to barrel whereas guns like the mag could rely on their nubbins to provide consistent velocities although a proper fit tightened it up further.

Now if you shoot small bore paint through a large bore barrel u will end up having the balls topspin and fall to the ground faster. A good paint barrel match should see u with identical range and accuracy.

I think the freak factory comes with a 0.693 insert as stock which you will probably find a bit on the large side for most paint nowadays which is heading to the 0.684-0.689 range.
Dave,
could you please explain to me how a homogenous flow of gas can consistently impart top spin on a paintball when the ball is small compared to the barrel ?
Robbo

booga

Arthritic Pirate
Manike, no offense meant, as I said it's a personal observation which could be atributed to the the way I hold the markers ie size of air tank/drop fwd/forgrip, or simply that I prefer shooting the cocker so in my mind it's more acurate/flatter trajectory.
I don't want this going the way of so many other threads of a similar subject.

Dave S ECI

ECI + HFT
Jul 17, 2001
53rd and 3rd
Visit site
Fair point about homogenous burst of gas, but what would happen if u shoot small paint through a large bore barrel?

I imagine that this would cause the bottom of the ball to drag more than the top so causing top spin (this could be the flawed bit)

Now in all arguments of range the determinants are extoled as velocity and paint barrel match. So range would be equal with the same paint barrel at the same velocity. what if u take a poor paint barrel match (large bore, small paint) at the same velocity, what happens then? Range is less.

With a good match the paint would touch all parts of the barrel equally giving no side/surface of the ball no more drag than any other part.