Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Big Game Experience

Craig Parker

Mar 18, 2015
Leicester, UK
Hi guy, I went to my first big game last weekend and while it was great there were a couple of reservations that took the experience down a peg or two and I'm wondering if these are common issues within big games.

Firstly as it was clear paint bounces should have counted but a lot of the time players were ignoring. At first I was doing so myself, but there were players out of split range but in bounce range so they obviously weren't taking it at all seriously.

Secondly there was at one point a part I slipped over, on the way down someone stepped out (at range) and shot at me. This was followed by howling and screams that I'd been hit bla bla bla. I've seen less aggression from drunks down the pub!

Lastly, how much should faction leaders be involved? It seemed like the guys at our place should of had more control and while they did try, I think the problem was that no one knew who they were (I found out after hunting down at lunch) but there was no formal introduction of leaders. Especially difficult when everyone is behind a mask!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
The second points can only be responded to that some people are dicks
Accept that and you can then get on to enjoying yourself with the decent players

Bounces - a small number will be igorant of the rule, some feign ignorance and some just cheat anyway
There may be a self justification that it bounced because it was way out of range and not due to lesser quality clear paint / cqb velocities

Leading factions is very variable, changes by game and the goals, but majorly changes by individual style
The ultimate reason people play is to go out and have a laugh, so anyone going out to fully command and tell everyone exactly what to do will last no more than a few seconds
Quite often the leader will have a small core that they will directly deal with and then give a quick game summary at the start themselves or use them to pass on direction
Often if they have people lined up already from their team or other teams / individuals that are regulars on the scenario circuit they won't seek out others too much to press gang. However it's always welcome to have someone seeking you out offering themselves to do anything
There may be one basic objective or various little missions

Sometimes making themselves visually available, eg as a leader at events I've wandered around with a staff & corn dolly on a cross in a cornfield and with black wings in a tunnel, and as a leaders teammate worn gold epaulettes or coolie hats
Failing that just chat in the safe zone and see if anyone knows who's supposed to be in charge

AlfieT

Get Rich or Dye Trying
Mar 24, 2015
London
Sorry just realised what clear paint was. So every hit counts regardless of breakage?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Sorry just realised what clear paint was. So every hit counts regardless of breakage?
Yes, and it does work if everyone playing is honest about it.
Clear paint isn't invisible, so it's quite apparent that you've been hit and have a break on you
However with the environments that clear paint is used - normally up close cqb/urban, possibly in the dark, then the game may also have a lower velocity such as 250fps

Clear paint has improved over the few years it's been in use, however it's still on limited quantity runs when compared to colour paint. It needs to be all things for all players at those events so won't be made in a mix of grades, it's probably going to be used by magfed players even if it's not a magfed specific game and they can have issues with paint under apron pressure in magazines

You can have a game where the organisers decide that bounces don't count, but it's become pretty much standard that a clear paint game counts bounces

Craig Parker

Mar 18, 2015
Leicester, UK
It is difficult for marshalls to spot with a couple hundred players on the field a lot of which are behind cover/in buildings. The question isn't knowing yourself if you've been hit, they were ignoring being hit.

BOD

The brotherhood
Aug 1, 2003
YORK
Visit site
Like i said, it's down to honesty. At big games marshals shouldn't really be there to check on whether people have been hit or not, they should be there to ensure safe playing and game control.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Like i said, it's down to honesty. At big games marshals shouldn't really be there to check on whether people have been hit or not, they should be there to ensure safe playing and game control.
Key point there by bod
There's a subtle difference in paintball between marshals and referees

Referees are to be found on the speedball field in tournaments. They are there to enforce the rules

Marshals are to be found on punter sites, walking and scenarios etc.
Their primary job is safety, their second job is to make sure the customers are having fun. Fun can be linked to rule enforcement of cheating, but it's low on their priority

Magic Rat

Swansea Draguns
Nov 21, 2012
Carmarthen
I'm assuming the game was equilibrium at longmore camp.
If it was,I marshalled on saturday,played Sunday .
It was clear paint event markers at 260 fps,bounces didn't count on Saturday but did on Sunday .
This was changed to try and make it easier to marshal,I agree with the amount of aggression from some players.
We were commenting ourselves on Saturday that one speedball team were really OTT.
Fantastic place to play,well recommend .