Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Break up of the euro imminant.

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Anyone following the news on this?

Basically Italy is hanging on the edge of bankruptcy, worse than the situation in Greece. With its interest rate on debts going above 7.4% (it was only 7% that crippled Greece), it looks very likely that within the next week we will know if the Euro will collapse or not.

The lack of progress at the G20 didn't achieve has cost the eurozone deeply.

Calls are being made on the stronger counties such as Germany and England to pump more into the funds to help bail out these countries, however I agree with the German chancellor, that the richer counties should not have to continue to bail out other countries who have shown bad judgement in their own internal policies.

In my opinion, the proverbial dam is breaking, the previous months have involved shoring it up, but finally the weight of the debts is breaking through and it how far people can run (insulate themselves from the fallout) before it breaks.

Personally, I am hoping that it does fail, I have always been opposed to the UK's involvement in the EU on many levels, and given how experts expect within 5 years the UK will be just as well off, if not better off than the alternative of us pumping more money into the EU to salvage these failing economies, it seems, in the long run, the Euro failing will be beneficial for all countries.

On top of that, as an economist, watching the next few years unfold following a failing of the Euro would be of great interest and opportunity. Why opportunity? Well investors are looking for places to move their money to. British Sterling is currently a very attractive place to be, and a sudden influx of money would strengthen our currency in this poor climate.

What are your thoughts?

BaconDude

Rawr.
Dec 3, 2010
High Wycombe
My thoughts are joining the European Union was the worst thing Britain ever did. And not joining the Euro was the best thing we did.

The Coalthief

May 27, 2011
Winchester
I fear this will eventually lead to conflict,if not outright war,between north and south Europe within 5-10 years.
Grinding poverty,water shortages,spreading desertification and increasing pressure from African migrants,I see nothing good coming out of this.

Gee Tee

1/2 man - 1/2 pogo stick
Mar 21, 2007
Dartford, UK
Things will work out in the end - hopefully in the UK's favour for a change. They shouldn't have let countries with piss poor economies into the Euro in the first place. I saw that TV documentary 'Go Greek for a week' the other night and it was a real eye opener. It's little wonder the Greek economy went tits up when the majority of the population consider paying taxes optional.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/go-greek-for-a-week

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
I think China picked a good time to start buying up all the gold and stop trusting the Dollar and Euro (that's why there's so much "cash for gold" type places round at the moment), I did like that the rescue plan annouced involved borrowing from them before anyone had actually asked them if they would lend us the cash. Wonder how much bullion Greece and Italy are going to cost them to buy?

I'm no economist Bon but is there any faith left in the GBP? Aren't we too closely linked with Europe and US for that?

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
My thoughts are joining the European Union was the worst thing Britain ever did. And not joining the Euro was the best thing we did.
although it's brought problems relating to human rights and such, the EU has provided the citizens of member states with invaluable safeguards. like so many aspects of our legal system it has suffered setbacks as a result of joining the EU, but the tools it's provided us with have been worth it in my view.

(i hate EU law but i guess uni taught me something :rolleyes:)