Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bringing a gun back from the States

noobie

May 22, 2015
I did use the search function in relation to importing but most replies/threads are from years ago.

What if you were holidaying in the states and on an impulse buy, saw an old marker from back in the day and decided to bring it back, what would my barriers likely to be?

My intentions would be to bring back the marker and spares only, no bottle
Breaking it down into spares rather than leave it as a complete marker
Include it in my suitcase as hold luggage and not my rucksack for cabin luggage

Beyond that do I have to declare it at any point and are there any additional steps I should take?

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
I bought a gun in the states, (LV 1) kept it in it's case like normal, tossed it into my checked luggage back to Ireland, via Heathrow. Never had an issue. No questions, no being pulled out of line etc.

I have heard some horror stories about Ryanair freaking out and needing to have the marker totally broken down so the grip frame isn't connected to anything, but I flew Aer Lingus and BA and was fine.

noobie

May 22, 2015
Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. Probably going to the states for a few weeks and if temptation crosses my path, who knows.

Spikerz

Super Moderator
Mar 25, 2014
I found it was easier in some cases. I got a used marker from trademygun, and had them ship it to my dad in CA. When I was out for a business meeting I picked it up from him. So I saved on the shipping costs, and the fact that a lot of people don't want to deal with international shipping.

noobie

May 22, 2015
On new I'm not sure but I did take one gun as an example, a Eclipse geo 3.5 orange black tang and compared a u.k. store with a u.s. store. There are of course plenty of stores I just took the first one on each search.

The u.s. store was advertising it as $2,150 but in a u.k. store it was £1,122.59. Taking into account just the cost (no shipping or customs if you did it privately) works out as £1,402.62 for the u.s. gun. That is bonkers because it contradicts what I always thought I knew, that u.s. must be cheaper. It would appear on this new gun at least it is much cheaper to buy new from u.k. stores, who knew?

If that was to be repeated then yes buying directly from a u.k. store would not only save you hundreds not just on the price of the gun but customs and tax charges/shipping have already been paid by the dealer and if you pick it up from the shop then no postage cost either and you can get it fixed/customer support as your dealer would be in the same country, the u.k.

Although different markers surprisingly vary this equation and it really is a case of doing your homework

In the case of old pumps which might be my purchase, it's not so much cost as I feel they are a bit cheaper there but not much but more the availability. Over here the choice on old pumps is quite limited, over there much much more choice.

I agree with Spikerz in that if you "happen to be going out there" then you can get some good deals particulary on little used second hand guns. Unless they are a shop however most private buyers are reluctant to ship to the u.k.

I have friends in south dakota who will take a gun in for me and either send it on or hold on to it if I am due soon, but most will not have this option avalaible to them.

Last edited:

joeslewis

Aug 24, 2015
You can get guns shipped over although it is expensive but you could bring it back with you but gas bottles can't be shipped or brought over

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
You can get guns shipped over although it is expensive but you could bring it back with you but gas bottles can't be shipped or brought over
It's not impossible to get us cylinders to the UK but there are a few issues:

The primary issue is the international & national standards. (Search the forum for the UKPSF HPA1 for air safety information)
In the U.S. Cylinders have to comply with DOT (department of transport) standards, in Canada it's TC (transport Canada) and in the UK / Europe it's TPED/Pi (transportable pressure equipment directive)
It's normal for cylinders across the Atlantic to show both DOT & TC
Note that the place of manufacture does not necessarily indicate the standard, people have sometimes been concerned that they have USA marked on a cylinder

It is possible to buy cylinders with multiple standards, so could be worthwhile buying if you are in the U.S.
Transporting by air yourself will involve removing the regulator, this has been a requirement for some time not only to ensure its depressurised but for customs to examine the inside
Transporting by mail is possible, but harder with revisions to the legislation and international agreements on transporting dangerous goods. Within the UK this affects internal mail flights and methods that still allow cylinders are generally surface mail, methods that could go by air are tending to prohibit even empty cylinders
Outside of the UK it is therefore harder to find a carrier / method that will accept cylinders
Not impossible but more difficult