Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Calling it a day

barry

Jul 7, 2001
Wiltshire, England
Visit site
After 5 years of playing, I am calling it a day. It won't worry many people, as I never was much of a player. The thing is, I'm not the only one to finish. A lot of players of all levels have packed in recently. I have tried to find out why - The main reasons seem to be: 1, Cost. Before you bite my head off, yes paintball is very expensive, we all know that. But if you cost out a day's tornament it is generally £100. If you are lucky you will play for 80 minutes a day. Value for money ?? As for the markers themselves... if you paid the same amount of money for any other appliance and it broke down as regulary as a marker, you would be straight back to the manufacturers asking for your money back.
2, Marshalling.. Some good, most bad. Usually not the marshals fault - lack of training and lack of moral fibre from the organisers!
3, Politics. We all know that in certain tournaments certain teams will win because of who they are sponsored by. Also, if your team have beaten the team marshalling, they are going to love you !!( I speak from experience).
On the whole I have enjoyed my time in paintball, met some good people and some complete arseholes (who at least have amusement value).
I hope someting can be done to address the problems or I'm afraid to say that paintball in the UK will only stay a very small sport, and never reach the levels it could.
Bye to all those who know me. Barry ,Captain of Lost Boys.

atomic fish

lambo
Sep 22, 2001
help! im lost!
Originally posted by barry
I'm afraid to say that paintball in the UK will only stay a very small sport, and never reach the levels it could.
Bye to all those who know me. Barry ,Captain of Lost Boys. [/B]
im sorry 2 here u r leaving this sport. u made some very true statements here, but the one i have highlighted above i disagree with. i am young and i plan 2 be involved in this sport 4 as long as humanly possible. i dont know everything and there is alot of peaple who know more, but i hope u r wrong when u say p8ntball in this country wont progress. many people r trying to get this sport reconised and into the publics veiw and away from a wargame. these people will one day preveil and this sport will be great. just my 2 cents (always wanted 2 say that):D
thanks

Philip

Whip it out..
Mar 24, 2002
Ellesmere Port
Well what i've noticed is that most people that want to go paintballing are wanting to go because of 'wargames' I myself am not interested in it but will go to things like the big game, but thats because its really just a big paint fest :D :D

But paintballing is going up in the world, slowly, but its getting there.....

atomic fish

lambo
Sep 22, 2001
help! im lost!
im not sayin that some dont go because it is a war game, but if we try and get this sport reconised by sport england, we need 2 get tournie ball away from that image in the publics mind. :D

Fleisher

Feb 23, 2002
Barry,tourny paintball in the UK has always been the same m8,I've played at all levels for years and gave up tournys a while back for similar reasons,as I personally think competition paintball in this country needs a good "shake up" combined with a governing body if it ever wants to be taken seriously as a sport.
It is getting more popular ,but how many people stay in the sport ? I can't see many playing for3 years ,never mind 16+ like myself.Philip makes the point about wargames,yes there is an element of that and will always be(unfortunatly) but its a very small element and nothing like the "para-military" image it had in the early days.
Don't sell you're kit Barry,have a month or two off and just play rec ball,or play as a rental for a day it'll renew you're interest in the game...theres more to paintball than tournys:D

Tr1xx0r

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
true paintball is expesive, not like soccer or other ball sports where all u need is a ball an people and a nearby park or open area (everywhere i kno of)

ppball takes feild paint marker safty stuff c02/nitro/air and other things :(

BUT pball is 100x more fun than any other sport (im a pretty hardcore football person (play not watch)

Hi Barry,

I am truly sorry you have reached this stage in your balling, I have seen it a few times before. Some guys sell up and move on others have some time out and realize what they have been missing. I tottally agree with all coments above, I don't know your team the "Lost Boys" but you are not a million miles away. You don't say weither you have any help in the form of sponsor ship by your maths it dosen't look like it. I must admit it dose that the edge off things. Ok I run a site but for me to close for a day or leave my mery men in charge it still cost me to play.

When I fisrt got my site I still played tourney, but my site was relitaly unknown and had no customers so it was easier. Then I got to grips with rebuliding it and promoting it. Yes I gve up for nearly 2 years to teh point my marshals were of the opinion I never left the nutral zone. They usually went in to deep shock when I marshalled. Bearing in mind I run the office all week so if I am paying them then why run my self ragged.

Eventualy Liz winkled me out of the kitchen and got me to argree to play for the Chicks. I kept this very quite but got real nervous. We had the sup air up on my birthday and evry one died of shock when I donned goggles and grabbed some paint. Encouraging. I had fun a lot of fun. I had never played sup air and till that point had been terrifeid not for me watching pros light each other up had really put me off.

As the time grew nearer I had to organise my day off I don't leave my site. I had had 1 day off for a much needed holiday, so I had to own up I was off to play. The sound of jaws hitting the floor was deafening but only surpassed by the silence that followed.

The day before and neves really getting the better of me Buff and Dodgie 2 of my marshalls seeing my plight very sweetly pointed out how many players I had taken out during the muck about. What I thought had been 1 veriomently deneying it had been 3 or 4 bless thier cotton socks. Then they aked could they pot bitch for me. bless em.

Yup I sucked first game ask steph nearly got my frount player in the arse, but not first out and being annoying enough for the oppersitin to want me out. Sadly it was a bad call (self marshaling) spray! I was hoocked again.

Sorry to thread heist but my point is this don't just give up on your balling. The time might not be right and every thing loses it draw from time to time. I don't want to spend every friday to sunday partying.......... well I did for years. I still like to party but call it a day once it stops bing fun. Maybe it's not fun try some thing else put it too one side but don't write it off.

I think a lot is going to happen over the next few years, things are changing balling is going more main stream. maybe not as fast as we would like but it's happening.

If you think you can cope with 15+ games in a day try our next 3 man the nutral zone was empty every one was on the field or watching.

Keep safe a shame I have not had the pleasure of meeting you sparklie

Simon Malone

Nov 30, 2001
Hook, Hants
www.nspl.co.uk
Originally posted by barry
After 5 years of playing, I am calling it a day. It won't worry many people, as I never was much of a player. The thing is, I'm not the only one to finish. A lot of players of all levels have packed in recently. I have tried to find out why - The main reasons seem to be: 1, Cost. Before you bite my head off, yes paintball is very expensive, we all know that. But if you cost out a day's tornament it is generally £100. If you are lucky you will play for 80 minutes a day. Value for money ?? As for the markers themselves... if you paid the same amount of money for any other appliance and it broke down as regulary as a marker, you would be straight back to the manufacturers asking for your money back.
2, Marshalling.. Some good, most bad. Usually not the marshals fault - lack of training and lack of moral fibre from the organisers!
3, Politics. We all know that in certain tournaments certain teams will win because of who they are sponsored by. Also, if your team have beaten the team marshalling, they are going to love you !!( I speak from experience).
On the whole I have enjoyed my time in paintball, met some good people and some complete arseholes (who at least have amusement value).
I hope someting can be done to address the problems or I'm afraid to say that paintball in the UK will only stay a very small sport, and never reach the levels it could.
Bye to all those who know me. Barry ,Captain of Lost Boys.
Barry,

It's a real shame to see you leave the game, I have alot of respect for you guys and your great attitude. I just hope the team can hold it together, it has so much potential. Best of luck in the future, and if you need my help don't hesitate to call me:)

Simon

QuikSilver

I am feeling the same way lately. A recent course of events has changed my life and no matter what I want I'm going to have to deal with it... and my future in paintball does not seem to be that distant. It is so costly to my pathetic budget. I don't know what to do though; I have a detication to my team, my friends. I'd feel like **** if I just up and gone, especially being one of the founding members. I don't know what to do.

Personally I find that a lot of people get into
tournament ball to win and get stuff and noteriety
well for most people thats not going to happen.
I have been playing tourny ball for 12 years,
yes I have won some and collected some stuff
and I am fairly well known but all that means very
little to me, What really gets me off is the
level of competition in tourny ball. I'm addicted
I don't care when I don't win, I've got all the
medals and trophies and stuff I don't want. Yes you can go play rec ball but I find that pale in
comparison