Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

camera for taking decent paintball photos with

bradderzz213

No Hope
May 2, 2011
kettering
right to put it out there i know nothing about cameras at all but id like to starting taking photos for the people and friends i play with so nothing majorly serious but i still would like decent high quality photos and was wondering what sort of camera to go for i know its a low budget but i dont really want to go anything over £300 any ideas guys :)

Sam Mills

Platinum member
Jul 25, 2012
Aberdeen, Scotland
I would say the gopro hero 2 but the contour+2 comes out this week have a look at both of the websites and then have a look at a few vs blogs and videos to see what you like best :)

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
spend as much as you can on either a Nikon or Cannon and you wont go far wrong for stills. I'm personally a massive fan of the 550D (cannon) as in addition to being an excellent stills camera it also shoots full hd in 60fps and has a decent range of manual modes for video.

If you're after a barrel cam for videos then a gopro is a great option with many different mounting methods for all sorts of applications, they're also next to indestructible and fully waterproof.

Last edited:

[BIO]Wingnut

London Tigers
Sep 17, 2006
Hey buddy - Cannon is a great shout for good quality pictures I've just recently upgraded my 450D to a 5D. I still have the 450D for sale if your interested

bradderzz213

No Hope
May 2, 2011
kettering
thanks guys :) and wingnut sounds good to me but im only currently looking into getting one i havent got the cash as of yet but i was looking for some rough ideas and what to go for in the future

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Assuming you're after a stills camera (rather than video), then I'd definitely recommend a SLR camera. Canon is a good option as there's probably more secondhad kit available than for any other brand.

The lens you use is in many ways more important than the camera body. Having an 18-55mm kit lens won't do you any good if you're unable to get close to the action.

Even so, £300 isn't much of a budget for a SLR setup. For an idea on what's available secondhand, have a look at http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk - I've bought from them before and can recommend them.

automag

Jan 14, 2008
Hiya

Are you kooking at taking video or photos.

If you want to take photos you need to go fo a DLSR that you can remove the lens as Spangley say Canon or Nikon. There are others out there but they are 2 of the best. If you have a look at what you like from them if your photography grows, you can keep your lens and up grade the camera body. You will find that some of the lens will cost more than the camera body.

Digital single len reflex (DLSR) will allow you to set the camera mode from auto that try to find the best camera setting for the situation (this will also have some sort of night mode, sports mode, portrait mode encompassed into the auto mode) (I never use Auto mode now) or you can change the A, S or M on camera. (I will always use one of these mode)
A is for aperture which how big the blades in the lens opens to allow light into the sensor. (This function allow you to cahnge the aperture but the camera changes the shutter speed for you).
S is for the shutter speed how quickly the it opens and shuts the lens blades. In good light conditions or for sports you need to adjust this so it is quick, in low light conditions you want the shutter to stay open longer and allow as much light in to give you a clear picture. If you have a shutter speed to slow in day light hours it would give you a over exposed. (This function allow you to cahnge the shutter speed but the camera changes the aperture for you).
M allows to have full control of A and S

If you look at camera sites they will cameras as body's (the camera with no lens)
Or as a kit normally with akit lens 18-55mm or 18-105mm.

When you have been on a sup air field if you have seen any of the photographer they would have some sort of 200/300mm lens to get those close up shots.

Another function that will be important to you is the multi/continuous shot button that when you press the button down it will continue to take shots until you release the button. This would be useful when tracking a player as he is going in for that slide on the snake.

The last thing that people also forget about is the memory card you will need to go for a class 10U1 that can write at speed there is no point in getting a slower card trying to take continuous shots but the card cant process the shots and you end up with a shot of the guy at the start of his run a few shots of him running and not that all import shot of the slide because the card is still buffering the other shots.

Depending on where you are in the UK there will be some camera shops around, like these

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/

http://cameraworld.co.uk/

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/
They have some good second hand sections

Ants

Reactions: bradderzz213

bradderzz213

No Hope
May 2, 2011
kettering
okay thank you alot there is actually alot of information there and it will be mainly sup air im going to do photos for now but if i like the results and well obviously the people i take photos of then ill end up going into the scenario scene as well thank you again guys (y)

automag

Jan 14, 2008
When you get your camera have a read of the manual it will help loads.

Practice loads outside taking pictures of your pets, garden, cars etc what ever you like so when get on the field you can get some great shots of your team. I will say when you are on the field take as many photos as you can because what may look good on the cameras 2" screen may be slightly blurred on a 15"/17" computer monitor from the slight shake of the camera.