Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Chat room

A

admin

You can. Make a post and people can reply. Adding a chat room to a site such as this adds nothing, and would probably detract from the site as a whole.

Chat rooms on large sites are often EXTREMELY laggy, and take the focus away from posting to just coming to "chat".

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
In principle, I have no problem with a chat room but if somebody can convince me as to just how they might compromise our site then I'm all ears; I presume Bon, you think it will deter people from posting because they can chat in real time as against waiting for replies from multiple posters in a thread?
I'm kinda thinking a chat room and normal posting could well be complimentary but there's no way I'm sure on this and perhaps some of you guys out there can help out with your thoughts and comments on this subject.

If this is your main problem with a chat room then I think we need to discuss it a little more and maybe put it to the vote to see if there's a real need for a chat room.
We can do this easily enough with a poll thread but before we get anywhere near that, I'd like to confer with my moderators.

If Bon is correct, and he tends to be more often than not, then I ain't gonna allow a chat room if it compromises this site's normal features and benefits.

I used to love diving into chat rooms back in the day and they can be pretty cool opportunities for people who like to discuss all matters paintball .... let me talk to all my mods please and they will make the call as to whether we create a p8ntballer.com chat room or not.
I know I'm supposed to be the boss here, but on a lot of subjects, I rely heavily on my moderators on and I trust their judgments much more than my own and so I'll follow their lead with regard to chat rooms, and of course confer with you guys [our members].

joshypop

May 26, 2011
Essex
I think that a chat room is a good idea, purely on the basis that if you need to talk to one guy specifically and not bother other guys in the forum by posting a thread. Although private messaging does do a good job, i think it's time to move on because with chat you get a quicker reply and it's effortless.

J

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
I think that a chat room is a good idea, purely on the basis that if you need to talk to one guy specifically and not bother other guys in the forum by posting a thread. Although private messaging does do a good job, i think it's time to move on because with chat you get a quicker reply and it's effortless.

J
It's effortless? Take a moment to think about the difference between the two and honestly tell me if there is actually any difference in effort.

It may be more convenient, but effortless? Not on your nelly.

Random Invert

Oct 27, 2008
N.Wales - Wrexham
www.outpostpaintball.co.uk
I'm a member of various forums and this suggestion was taken up on one about 12 months ago, safe to say the number of threads / posts did decrease dramatically.

I don't frequent there often these days but every time I do pop in the number of threads on the whats new option rarely goes past 4 pages even after 6 months away (this forum is still very active but people chose to use the chat feature).

The biggest difference between there and here is the trade section. They have no trade section, so that might balance it out a bit.

Liam92

#16 Reading Entity
Nov 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
the advantage of not using chat for me would be that you can review what has already been discussed regardless of how long ago the discussion took place. where all threads are essentially kept on record it means you can search through them to find anything specific you were looking for, or you can catch up on discussions which you were not present at in the first place. consider the many informative replies that threads regularly get on here; if that member happens to not be online at the time of discussion then their insight is lost.

if the chat ends up getting used to discuss essentially the same material as the threads do, then the site will become a lot less informative for many people as well as losing the benefit of being able to just jump on whenever possible and get up to speed with what's been going on.

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Can maybe set up "chat nights", where we open a chat room for say plat members only, on a certain night of the week, once a week. And see how it goes from there. That means we can test it, and its not permanent.

Reactions: Bambulus

Jlowe

Here let me wipe my balls off your face.
Jul 10, 2011
Staffordshire
Can maybe set up "chat nights", where we open a chat room for say plat members only, on a certain night of the week, once a week. And see how it goes from there. That means we can test it, and its not permanent.
i like your idea to see if we can test it out for a short period of time first ive also seen that the techpb forum has a chat room and it doesn't seem to affect their threads although ive only been on there a dozen times so i can't say im sure.