Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Coaching - your views?

Mario

Pigeon amongst the cats
Sep 25, 2002
Location, Location.
I wonder, the majority of you who dislike coaching that much, do you just have really sh!t coaches?

Are you pissed because even with coaching your still not winning? Possibly because you lack the skills?

Tinks

Feb 20, 2004
I like it. I won a 3 on 1 this weekend, which got us (Heaven) through to the finals, and if I didnt have my coach talking me through it (not screaming and shouting like the crowd does) I would've had my head blown off easy peasy cause I was stuck in the snake.
It doesn't take any talent away from the game, thats just stupid.
I don't think coaching is 'legal cheating' at all. If both teams have a coach then it's all fair isn't it?

Ardolino

il bimbo d'oro..
May 26, 2008
Hyde, Manchester
I wonder, the majority of you who dislike coaching that much, do you just have really sh!t coaches?

Are you pissed because even with coaching your still not winning? Possibly because you lack the skills?

thats probably the stupidest thing ever to say...how can people complain because with coaching they are losing, i would love to have a great coach in a tournament if it was all about winning but i would feel as if i had cheated a win, but at the end of the day its not as self rewarding when you know without someone telling you what to do, you wouldnt have been able to do it, id prefer to beat someone without coaching than with coaching, but maybe it will split into two different types of sup'air coached and un-coached kinda like rugby union and rugby league, rugby league being like coached and rugby union being uncoached...because we all know being the best uncoached player in the world would be a hell of alot more talented than the best coached player in the world peace

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
i would like to see coaching removed but sideline participation allowed.

so everyone back in the bleachers. then it would be hard to pick any one voice out but the crowd would still be involved,
although in the lower divisons and smaller events that dont draw a crowd it might not make that much difference, hopefully as the sport progresses the affect of the crowd on the game will be smaller.
For instance football players cant pick out what the crowd are saying.
Except that football crowds number in the thousands, not tens. And having no coaches would mean that home/better supported teams would get assistance and other teams wouldn't.

Easy scenario for example - You're in Toulouse, playing your first match of the event @8am, only the teams playing are around as no spectator has gotten out of bed yet - you are playing a french team who have a load of friends in another team in the 3rd game of the day, so they sit in the stands watching and shouting to their mates.

you have no coach, they effectively do.

If you allow the crowd to shout then only by having a coach do you have a chance to even up the field, otherwise it comes down to who has most (or any) friends.

Mario - preach brother!

Tinks

Feb 20, 2004
thats probably the stupidest thing ever to say...how can people complain because with coaching they are losing, i would love to have a great coach in a tournament if it was all about winning but i would feel as if i had cheated a win, but at the end of the day its not as self rewarding when you know without someone telling you what to do, you wouldnt have been able to do it, id prefer to beat someone without coaching than with coaching, but maybe it will split into two different types of sup'air coached and un-coached kinda like rugby union and rugby league, rugby league being like coached and rugby union being uncoached...because we all know being the best uncoached player in the world would be a hell of alot more talented than the best coached player in the world peace
It doesn't make you any less talented for having a coach.

Ardolino

il bimbo d'oro..
May 26, 2008
Hyde, Manchester
It doesn't make you any less talented for having a coach.

it can however lead you to developing your skills slower, and also maybe loosing skills you once had, and it eliminates experience and on the field teamwork...and you cant really say that is wrong, its completely true, when i started after playing a few games un coached we had no choice but to communicate as a team, force ourselves to be good snap shooters because we wouldnt have time to be told that there is someone there...so yer it doesnt make you any less talented, but it can lead you to loosing skills, or not developing skills as a better paintballer

HPUKer

Entity / Shootrtv
Jan 25, 2005
www.shootr.tv
www.andyb.tv
it can lead you to loosing skills, or not developing skills as a better paintballer
Im sorry, thats crazy man

Using your example, teams still have to have good communication flow, a coach can only coach so many players, and other players will still be talking to each other, do coached teams play in silence?

It depends on how much your team uses coaching, are you robots, or do you use the information to base your own decisions on

You skills are not developed slower - if what your saying is coaching negates any teamwork and individual sneaky skills, what have you got left - your technical set, so those that are more proficient will prosper

Tinks

Feb 20, 2004
it can however lead you to developing your skills slower, and also maybe loosing skills you once had, and it eliminates experience and on the field teamwork...and you cant really say that is wrong, its completely true, when i started after playing a few games un coached we had no choice but to communicate as a team, force ourselves to be good snap shooters because we wouldnt have time to be told that there is someone there...so yer it doesnt make you any less talented, but it can lead you to loosing skills, or not developing skills as a better paintballer
We communicate on field just as much as when we played 5man/7man. Half the time you can't always hear your coach so you have to rely on what your team mates are telling you.. which is the same as coaching right?

Ardolino

il bimbo d'oro..
May 26, 2008
Hyde, Manchester
We communicate on field just as much as when we played 5man/7man. Half the time you can't always hear your coach so you have to rely on what your team mates are telling you.. which is the same as coaching right?

with coaching from the side lines you know ur coach isnt going to get things wrong...but with team mates communication, you got to have a trust which comes with working together, also if half the time you cant hear your coach....then you dont need one simple as...thanks for just more or less saying that coaching is pointless...how can you defend coaching saying it makes the game better, then say, well you cant hear your coach half the time...so you have to rely on what your team mates are telling you, which is what we who oppose coaching are saying anyways