Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Do any goggle lenses have UV protection?

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
I've been using the smoke lenses that come with the events lately, but I had a thought the other day: are any paintball goggle lenses UV protective? Because if not, wearing them in the sun could actually cause damage to your eyes apparently.

To explain (from a site about sunglasses but the science is the same)

"...When you buy a pair of cheap sunglasses, you often give up all of these benefits and can even make things worse. For example, if your sunglasses (read goggle lenses) offer no UV protection, you increase your exposure to UV rays. The cheap sunglasses block some of the light, causing your iris to open to allow more light in. This lets in more of the UV light as well, increasing the damage UV light can cause to the retina."

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
doubt it, since the dawn of man, people have been wearing goggles with tinted lenses , and there fine, its the same thing as bacon causes cancer.

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
doubt it, since the dawn of man, people have been wearing e-vents with ninja lenses, and there fine, its the same thing as bacon causes cancer.
No not event lenses in particular (no slander here! :)), just any dark lense in general or cheap sunglasses.
Don't be silly! There's scientific proof that exposing your eyes to UV damages them, christ if I was telling you all not to use them I could understand, I was only saying it's something to think about (especially if you have light coloured eyes).

"Experts say the effects of UV radiation are cumulative and can do irreversible harm to all structures of the eye and surrounding tissue that are left unprotected or under-protected. Certain conditions, such as age-related cataract, may not manifest for years at which point the damage is already done and it is too late to reverse the effects of the sun."
It isn't going to happen straight away, just like getting skin cancer from sunburn.

Didn't you mother ever tell you if you haven't got anything useful to say, don't say anything at all :p

I found out that some lenses do have it on, which is good, for anyone who is remotely, even a little bit interested :)
"...all DYE Invision lenses provide 98% UV protection."

Cetanu

Apr 25, 2006
Just dye or anyone else? Might have to wear my i3s over my flexes for the summer :)

Rich SZ05

May 21, 2008
nr Carlisle
smoke, mirror and photochromatic vForce lenses say they exceed EN166 standards which includes protection from UV rays, i'm sure all goggle lenses should meet the same standard so dont worry. :D