The Home Of European Paintball

Euro-Teams In The USA

Roland

Comrade Trogski
Jul 11, 2002
Eccleshall, Staffordshire
Visit site
Originally posted by Tiny(D.R)
O.K i agree with you but, you trying telling somone who runs a site that.

'OK mate i want you to encourage your customers to buy their own kit, pay less for paint per ball, which will reduce how much profit you make of them every time they come down.'

You got to remember guys not everybody in paintball is in it for the love of the sport, it pays people's rent etc.
Seems to work in the States.

It is only recently that more sites are offering Walk-Ons (and mainly in the winter).

If more site owners were prepared to show that there is more to paintball than just playing as a punter and then provide facilities the rec-baller then it would benefit everyone.

Most people I know have played paintball at least once but very few knew that there was anything else than playing as a punter.

Site owners need to make a profit and noone would deny them that but site prices have not come down in line with paint prices.

When I started playing site paint was 10p/ball (£200/box) with site's paying about £100/box, 100% mark up.

Some sites are still charging 7p/ball (£140/box) but are only paying about £30/box, 466% mark up.

I know this could open a can of worm and it was not my intention to moan about paint prices. Some site owners are now, and some have always, done alot for rec-ballers but we need the rest to realise that there is money to be made from promoting the sport.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Just to be difficult--
Given the size of the standard NPPL field some of the athletic skills are marginalized and if the relative skill sets of the competing teams are more or less equal the critical equation is and will become tactical. Oddly, that, IMHO, is the currently defining equation in X-Ball as the NXL scramble to get a handle on it.
If someone filmed the Dynasty-RL match-ups on the Grandstand field in the semis it would be relatively easy to demonstrate. There were two critical bunkers to maintain on that field and each time RL either lost them or failed to fill them or re-fill them is when Dynasty made their move.

And if y'all don't think there are US teams out there who have already added to or modified their training practices you're delusional. ;)

DarWood

Dagenham Swarm
Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by gyroscope
I have said before that you need more camoed-out rec players in Europe. Your population density is sufficient, you just don't have as many players in your base. The way to get them, I think, is a strong rec scene.

We have American pro teams that can cherrypick because we have Am, Nov, and even Rookie team that cherrypick. Some of our Rookie squad guys play rec once every month or two and come back with recruits.

All respect to Russian Legion, Joy, Nexus, and the Ton Tons for the professionalism the adhere to. Those training schedules and attitudes are showing the way to the future. But as Munkeh said, American teams can adopt that approach, too. The performance of the Am and lower divisions is evidence that we are catching on.

This all suggests to me that you need to get the kids playing, and get all the kids playing. Paintball is a little like soccer in reverse, where talent pools and public interest are concerned. America has few kids who play soccer, Europe has many if not all. Rec is like sandlot baseball or playground basketball. Those guys are at least getting the basics in their heads. When one out of the thousands shines, you have effectively had a tryout with a thousand hopefuls, while eliminating the fluke factor a one day tryout has.

Don't be American soccer, Euros.
Ok you say encourage more kids to play paintball punter style then work your way up. The first time i ever played paintball it cost me 25 pounds for 500!!!! paintballs alone. If you look at it from a person who is had his first game he/ she is not going to be so eager to play say 2weeks later paying another 25 pounds. Its expensive and after a while it will drag and just become a day out.

You need to encourage kids to come down and just watch us for the first time. Get them thoroughly interested in it. As you said all kids like football (or as you say soccer) if they see players playing in a formation with bright coloured jerseys they will see how good and addictive it is. They will then begin to ask questions, thats where we get involved. You say 'why dont you come down to one of our training days' and when they do, show them how to play it properly. Even give them a marker and a pair of goggles and let them play, or just learn how to lean out of a barricade and shoot a practice target. It might seem boring to us but for them its a whole new experience to be able to shoot at something. Even if they say i dont think i could get into it because its too expensive. Try to encourage their parents who should be there with them that if they train hard they can beat teams and gain sponsors, which will in the long run save you money and create a whole new and exciting world of paintball.

One day I hope that anyone you ask 'Do you know David Beckham" will say David who. Football has been around to long its about time it died and let paintball take its place.

Just my 200 quids worth....:p

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
Originally posted by Baca Loco
Just to be difficult--
Given the size of the standard NPPL field some of the athletic skills are marginalized and if the relative skill sets of the competing teams are more or less equal the critical equation is and will become tactical. Oddly, that, IMHO, is the currently defining equation in X-Ball as the NXL scramble to get a handle on it.
Interesting point. I was talking with some folks at LV about how the new best of five finals in NPPL is kinda similar to Xball. It's not so much about having the best strategy for a single game as it is about who adapts to the other teams playing style fastest.

I know Rocky reads these boards. Seeing as how he's played both, I'd like to hear what he thought of the best of five finals.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
It couldn't hurt to encourage kids to come watch, but it is an unproven model of how to grow participation in this sport.

The main change I advise has little to do with price. It is expensive here, too. I recommend letting the renters play with anyone who shows up, with whatever gear they care to bring and use. I am under the impression that "walk-on days" are not the standard everyday thing. As I understand it, most days are reserved for renters only. That is dumb and wierd. It is based on a flawed assumption.

If I am mistaken about the nature of UK paintball field policies, someone set me straight.

Munkeh

Planet of the Apes
Jul 12, 2002
Cheshire
Visit site
No, your spot on! But by allowing people to bring their own markers you simultaneously alienate customers who just want a good ole laugh not to be shot the sh*t out of by someone shooting an angel at 13 bps and almost definately will not return! Therefore bad business for site!

Justin Owen

American BadAss
Jul 10, 2001
Kenner, LA USA
Visit site
>>>> How goes it J, ain't heard from you in a long time m8<<<<

Sorry my friend, been a lil' bit busy over here.
:)

>>>> u going to any NPPL's ?<<<<

I really, really, really hope so. Actually I'm just hoping to PLAY...PSP, NPPL, Millenium, I really don't care at this point.

My sources in the P'ntball world do tell me, though, that you guys were playing some really good 'ball over there. Major congrats! Keep up the great work.
~J~

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
Originally posted by Munkeh
...by allowing people to bring their own markers you simultaneously alienate customers who just want a good ole laugh not to be shot the sh*t out of by someone shooting an angel at 13 bps and almost definately will not return! Therefore bad business for site!
If you split up the guys who own their markers, it isn't a problem. I don't think you are giving new players enough credit. They don't expect to be the champion of the world the first day, as long as they shoot somebody. Not all capable players unleash the full fury on newbies, either. Most understand that cultivating those guys is the key to cheaper paint next year, and the year after. Everytime there are new players at our site, I end up cleaning some poor noob's hopper or squeegeeing a half dozen barrels.

Sure, some people get frustrated and blame the marker. Some of those quit playing, but most go buy their own marker. The perception is, "if I only had an automag, I would blow all these punks outta the water," so the guy goes and gets one, finds out that he still isn't the master of the sandbox, buys a better marker, etc. Far from hurting business, the savvy field owner will stock a few Tippmanns and Spyders to sell the guys who just can't cope with the deficit in gear. And so it begins...

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Originally posted by gyroscope

When you play at any given field in America on any given day, there is a mix. It is usually about one tournie guy slumming, three guys who'd rather be playing a 24 hour game, one pump guy who is frustrated but grimly determined, 5 guys debating the merits of expansion chambers vs. neoprene CO2 tank covers for their Tippmanns/Spyders/Automags, and about ten or fifteen renters with blank, scared looks on their faces, trying not to stare at the tournie guy's Angel, and one bored girlfriend.
Everyone of those players will get better equipment piecemeal, slowly building the kit until they feel guilty shooting at renters every weekend or every other weekend. Then, some will play 24 hour games. Some will join tournament teams. One will become Tyger. (Couldn't resist)
You forgot the 2 dogs stealing food off of people portable grills.

And if you're jealous over what I can do with a pump gun, that's ok. Many people are. :D Besides, Played a tournament last weekend, the guy who ran the team made me promise not to use my pump gun. I didn't! After the tournament, played with it in the hyperball field, and got more than my fair share of "game" on. I don't call all 'lectro players "no game finger twiddlers" do I? :)

(turns off the trashtalk mode on his laptop...)

-Tyger

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
No, I am in awe of the skill with a pump you have. I think that is cool.

I was more poking fun at your unique career path through paintball... not the journalism, the progression that led you to dress like a tiger. That's, um, an uncommon route to take, ya know?