Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

firepower?

mrstewie

Apr 1, 2002
london, essex
Visit site
I've been ages looking at buying my first marker and over time have become very disillusioned. I've read countless reviews and what i don`t understand is this:
These are results from a field test review
Marker........Grouping....grouping............................velocity
..................at 25yds....at 40yrds........misses........deviation
Automag..... (10-13).... (17-8.5).... (15/60misses) (7.05vel/dev)
autococker (12.5-10)... (18-18)..... (14/60misses) (5.01vel/dev)
angel lcd..... (9.8-17)... (16-18)..... (28/80misses) (5.41vel/dev)
inferno....... (13.5-12).(17.5-17.5). (16/60misses) (6.16vel/dev)
piranha........ (15-12).... (12-17).... (8/60misses) ..(6.50vel/dev)
vision .........(10.5-16)... (17-18) ....(11/60misses) (6.7vel/dev)
The grouping was measured in inches.
The automag had a 12"s/m progressive barrel and co2.
The autococker was run on nitorgen and had an air america violator.
The angel had a 14"dye titanium boomstick.
The inferno and piranha were run on co2 and used stock barrels.

So, is the only difference between a budget and a tourney gun the rate of fire?
And would I have more to gain from upgrading a budget, maybe the piranha and inferno would have got even better results with a reg and a decent barrel, bolt, valve ?
I don't mean to upset anyone,please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks.

Firepower the only advantage?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well, maybe :D What about how the paint is treated? A blowback marker is much rougher on paint than a top end marker, rate of fire is a major factor (as are cosmetics to some...) but I think it is important to consider all the other variables in the test, was the paint to barrel match precise with every shot for example? What were the test conditions?

But to be honest, try out some markers and buy what you like, be it pirhana or IR3. Something to note is that if you go to a milenium series event, or NPPL or whatever, how many of them are using low end kit (even the non-sponsored guys n galls) not many

Richard

eric

Dedicated Pot Bitch
Aug 23, 2001
US, Ohio
Visit site
The only way that thing could be really accurate is if all the guns used paint from the same case, and all used a barrel that matched the paint id.

Another thing about tournament markers, the chopping. Tourney markers are designed to chop less, and when they do chop it is easier to get out. If I chop 5 straight balls with my cocker(which as naver happened after about a year with it) I can slide the bolt out real quick, put my battle swab in, posh it through with my stick squeege, and clean out the bolt with my finger. Easy and done in like 30 seconds.
You cant really strip a pirhana or spyder while on the field.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Originally posted by eric

Another thing about tournament markers, the chopping. Tourney markers are designed to chop less, and when they do chop it is easier to get out. If I chop 5 straight balls with my cocker(which as naver happened after about a year with it) I can slide the bolt out real quick, put my battle swab in, posh it through with my stick squeege, and clean out the bolt with my finger. Easy and done in like 30 seconds.
You cant really strip a pirhana or spyder while on the field.
Major good point there Eric, especially as mrstewie has Vision on his list which I am assuming is the Impulse Vision.

mrstewie -
The Impuolse Vision has an "eye" that prevents it from firing unless the ball is fully in the breech, thereby preventing any chopping. The only other marker I can think of with that kind of anti-chop device is the IR3, certainly none of the others on the list.

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
For another thing, that report mentions the reg only once, has different barrels for the guns, uses co2 for some of them, neglects to mention the paint and bore sizes of the barrels, etc. Tourney players, the more intelligent and/or higher level ones at any rate, tweak with their setup to get the absolute best out of their reg, nitro, barrel, paint, internals, etc. Such is simply not practical with cheaper guns. You can do it, but it doesn't achieve the same results and is basically like spending $1000 on your car and $50,000 on accessories when you can just buy a Porsche and get a better car anyway and not look like someone in severe denial and with absolutely pitiful taste.

tyguy

Mar 18, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Visit site
mrstewie: How are you planning on using your marker? If you're going to stick to rec or scenario play, an Angel or similar marker may be a little overkill. If you're going to play serious, high-level tournament, you're team is going to expect you to play with a high-end marker, and you'll have a hard time getting respect from anyone without one. If you do plan on playing tournament, what position? Your position on the field will also help you narrow your choices. How much experience do you currently have? If you're just getting started, you may want to begin with a lower-level marker that you can abuse and learn from, then upgrade later if you're still interested in the sport and want to take it up another level. There's always a healthy market for used Spyders, Piranhas, Tippmanns, and the like.

Eric: Piranha markers are incredibly easy to field strip. Push out one field-strip pin, and the bolt, hammer, and main spring come out in one piece. Slide them back in, depress a sear-release button, and re-attach the field-strip pin. You're done. Whole process takes less than 7 seconds. It's faster to remove the bolt to clean out a ball break than it is to unscrew the barrel.

eric

Dedicated Pot Bitch
Aug 23, 2001
US, Ohio
Visit site
Yes, I know its easy to get out.
I had a pirhana for about 6 months. The hard thing is getting them in. The bad thing is that a lot of times you can lose a part while doing it. There are a lot of parts to put back in.

On most tourney level markers you can just slide the bolt out, clean it, and slide it back in. It is the only part that has to come out.