Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

freezing air bottle

groomy

May 1, 2012
wirral
im new to paintball i got a 3000 psi bottle from just paintball and took it to my local paint ball site an they froze the bottle is this normal or .......

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
im new to paintball i got a 3000 psi bottle from just paintball and took it to my local paint ball site an they froze the bottle is this normal or .......
Did they literaly freeze the cylinder?

This scarily sounds to me that they filled it with CO2

Or you are mistaken and it is a CO2 cylinder and not a 3000psi HPA cylinder.

There is a principle of freezing a cylinder before filling with CO2 for a full fill.

Does your cylinder have a fill nipple as per the picture on page 3 of this:
http://www.oaklandsfestival.host56.com/web_documents/air information.pdf

If yes then you are correct and have a HPA cylinder which should only be filled with 'breathable air', if they have frozen it and filled with CO2 then they have contaminated your cylinder and risked the operating and safety components of your air system. Dont refill with air and inform the site of their error, only competent staff should be running fill stations.

Last edited:

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
no its not, some sites chill their CO2 bottles in a freezer before filling, air bottles, if anything, shoud get warm while being filled.

started typing before Tom did

Last edited:

groomy

May 1, 2012
wirral
its 100% air an they stuck it in the freezer be for filling an and then when i came back to pick it up they took it back out the freezer :/

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Alternately was there a rapid leak, it could freeze over in those circumstances.

Has a scary moment with a buddy having a bad fall and dropping his fibre wrapped 4500psi cylinder on concrete - we heard the leak and saw a hairline near the neck. Needless to say after backing away for a moment we put a remote line on and degassed. Subsequently it has been reinspected & retested, the hairline was only on the top varnish surface and has been cleared.

bojjob

#19 Blackout
Feb 22, 2012
Sussex
So what Site was this? Just so I know never to go anywhere near the place ahaha

Last edited:

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
This site is worrying me.
An air fill can get warm during the fill, this is normal.

(Unless doing a rapid 'flash' fill in which case it gets hot, and increases the risk of oil contamination flash explosions)
If they are freezing to prevent it getting hot when filling then it sounds dodgy. The correct response would be to slow down the fill or pause.

A call to HPAC or a qualified individual might be best to resassure.

groomy

May 1, 2012
wirral
Did they literaly freeze the cylinder?

This scarily sounds to me that they filled it with CO2

Or you are mistaken and it is a CO2 cylinder and not a 3000psi HPA cylinder.

There is a principle of freezing a cylinder before filling with CO2 for a full fill.

Does your cylinder have a fill nipple as per the picture on page 3 of this:
http://www.oaklandsfestival.host56.com/web_documents/air information.pdf

If yes then you are correct and have a HPA cylinder which should only be filled with 'breathable air', if they have frozen it and filled with CO2 then they have contaminated your cylinder and risked the operating and safety components of your air system. Dont refill with air and inform the site of their error, only competent staff should be running fill stations.
yee its 100% air an i asked them to fill it with air but i dont have a clue why they would freeze it any idears and would it be dangerous to keep in the house or to use ?